Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinediablovt1125
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Lids...Loose or Tight During Incubation?
    #4733905 - 09/29/05 11:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey everyone, I just recently (3 days ago) inoculated twelve jars, B+ and Cambodian.  I have them in a TiT incubator running at 80.6 degrees.  I left the tape off after inoculation but I have left the foil on while they are incubation. 

First, I just want to clear up if it is OK to leave the Tin foil on?  I've read in some other posts about it, but I always seem to find mixed reviews on the subject?

Second, how loose of Tight should lids be on my jars?  I'm using 1/2 pnt KERR wide mouth jars with the inner piece (not the ring) of the lid upside down (rubber side up).  As far as tightness goes, I tightened them just to the point of snug, not more, not less.

Does this all sound alright, this is my first grow and I've been reading, reading, reading...of course though I still have many questions so any tips, suggestion, whatever would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks a lot everyone, and have a good evening  :thumbup:

--------------------
Know yourself, know your substance, and know your source

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsychosMind
One of thosefriendly crazies

Loc: Can't guess from the whit...
Re: Lids...Loose or Tight During Incubation? [Re: diablovt1125]
    #4733920 - 09/29/05 11:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Glad to see you do your homework. You shouldn't worry too much, if you do things correctly and follow the teks you should be fine. Only start worrying if there is a problem, if you start to think there is a problem with air exchange then take the tinfoil off, if you think tinfoil will keep your babies safe leave it on. These are your responsibility now and i'm sure that your gut instinct will lead you in the right direction.

Also, if you get bruising don't immediatly freak out and think it's contams, many people mistake bruising for contams.

--------------------
I'm one of those hugging crazies, as opposed to the stabbin' crazies

InvisibleQbanMoJo
Mr. Brightside

Loc: OutSide
    #4733931 - 09/29/05 11:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

theyre fine how they are. leave the foil on and forget about them for 5 days. the less you touch them the less contams will be introduced. I usually just put tyvek over the opening, screw the ring over that, innocculate, put the foil back on, and forget about it. :stoned: :mushroom2:

Offlinediablovt1125
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lids...Loose or Tight During Incubation? [Re: QbanMoJo]
    #4734010 - 09/30/05 12:04 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the quick response guys, your words are very encouraging. Seeing as this is my first time, I'm doing my best to be patient with them, I've only peaked once and don't plan on doing it again for a least week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again

--------------------
Know yourself, know your substance, and know your source

OfflineBataviaVakereli
Stranger
    #4734075 - 09/30/05 12:17 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I never had a problem leaving foil on until I used quart jars. For half pint, the jars all colinized great, but QT jars on the otherhand would stall on me. When I finally took the foil off, colonization speed increased exponentially. My recent grow I took the foil off after innocluation and havn't put it back on. We'll see how it goes.

edit: I have polyfil stuffed holes. I also put coffee filters on in place of the foil for some filtration but more importantly to keep air exchange.

Edited by BataviaVakereli (09/30/05 12:29 AM)

Offlinevescudero0
ay ay aaaaay

Re: Lids...Loose or Tight During Incubation? [Re: BataviaVakereli]
    #4734609 - 09/30/05 02:19 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hey what up,, im doing my first batch too.. got em like 96% colonized and your question reminded me the exact same thing i was asking
i was paranoid with contams, didnt want to get infected on my first batch, so i just simpley left the foil on for like 2 weeks...it might of stalled just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle bit... but hey,, as long as they colonize, ITS ALL GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!
i plan to do caseing this week end, cant belive ive made it this far.. i just hope i make it...
good luck to ya...
my rec.. is to leave them alone for a while and let colonize, just check temps once in a while..
anf if your paranoid like i was, just leave foil on for a while, until it starts colonizing pretty good...than tip over and take foil off...,,
peace

--------------------
live & enjooooooooooooooooy

Offlinevescudero0
ay ay aaaaay

Re: Lids...Loose or Tight During Incubation? [Re: vescudero0]
    #4734647 - 09/30/05 02:26 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

ohh, and the lid, i didnt leave them air tight,, just a little loose...not much..

--------------------
live & enjooooooooooooooooy

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation