Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

New Instrument
    #4733708 - 09/29/05 08:54 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I got a new guitar and have no clue how to play a guitar. I am going to take lessons though. It's an acoustic !! I am excited.

--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleking_cobra
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New Instrument [Re: JettaJay]
    #4733711 - 09/29/05 08:55 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

Re: New Instrument [Re: king_cobra]
    #4733760 - 09/29/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

thanks man ... anyone else got any tips ?

--------------------
I saw a little green light buzzing around in a tree, and it dawned on me that "they" were here
~~~LouiseLouise

OfflineWeAreAllOne
Opethian

Loc: Pennsylvania
    #4733766 - 09/29/05 09:05 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Do you know how to read tabs and that kind of stuff or are you still

learning the basics?

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4733767 - 09/29/05 09:05 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Acoustic guitars are awesome man, but it does take some getting used to. I say play it once a night for maybe 20 mins just to get the hang of it.

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Offlinehobbitxkillyou
Shark wrestlingchampion

Loc: Pennsylvania
    #4733769 - 09/29/05 09:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

If you really want to get into it, take lessons. A good teacher will teach you theory, which will help tremendously down the road, but go slow at first. All of my friends play instruments, (myself included...drum set and marching snare) and we all swear by teachers.

However, if you're just looking to have fun with it, teach yourself with online guides. Other friends have done this who aren't as serious about playing and enjoy it.

--------------------
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.

-H. S. Thompson

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #4733771 - 09/29/05 09:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

At first don't get pissed b/c you can't do it. Many beginers quiite inthe first months b/c they don't realise how much progress they have actually made. After you get the basics down pact the other stuff comes alot easier. Practice every night too.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

Re: New Instrument [Re: Stonerguy]
    #4733783 - 09/29/05 09:09 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I don't even know any chords ... I am still learning everything ...

--------------------
~~~LouiseLouise

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery
Loc: Buckeye Flag
    #4733799 - 09/29/05 09:13 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Cords? ive been playing for years and i dont know what cords are what. lol. i need to take a class or 2. Good luck man! It is great enertainment and a hobby/pasttime.  :jamming:

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
    #4734104 - 09/29/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I got a new guitar a couple of months ago. I don't know how to play it either. I'm not even extremely interested in it. I'm a bass girl.

Anyway...I mostly got it for my girls. I want them to learn to play. My 4 year old loves the bass though....just like her moma. :wink:

My older one is more of a singer.

What kind of guitar is it? What brand?

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

InvisibleJettaJay
PsychedelicStranger
 User Gallery

Re: New Instrument [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #4737616 - 09/30/05 04:15 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

It's an abilene

--------------------
~~~LouiseLouise

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #4738436 - 09/30/05 07:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Just remember that everything that is now instinct to you once seemed like some complex process that you'd never be able to get down. Just keep with it, it would be impossible for you not to learn.

And most importantly of all, have fun mang!

I just got a new guitar this week ... it's a '93-94 fender strat special w/ lace sensors. I <3 it and can't put it down.

--------------------

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: New Instrument [Re: abhi]
    #4738478 - 09/30/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have a knockoff Fender (Squire) and I've been takin guitar lessons for about a year now. Its a cheap guitar but it doesn't sound too bad and its all that I can currently afford. Learning to play has been a very rewarding experience thus far.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
Re: New Instrument [Re: hobbitxkillyou]
    #4738561 - 09/30/05 08:00 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hobbitxkillyou said:
If you really want to get into it, take lessons. A good teacher will teach you theory, which will help tremendously down the road, but go slow at first. All of my friends play instruments, (myself included...drum set and marching snare) and we all swear by teachers.

However, if you're just looking to have fun with it, teach yourself with online guides. Other friends have done this who aren't as serious about playing and enjoy it.

Even though I agree music lessons CAN help...I disagree with how you put it.

A person teaching themselves can be just as/more serious about playing, than say, someone with lots of money for lessons.  Just because you decide against lessons(and decide to go down the self-taught road), doesn't mean you will have less knowledge or skill then someone in lessons.  You can "get into it" just as much without lessons. 

I for one have been self-taught from the beginning.  Slowly adjusting my fingers to the act of playing, then eventually learning the process of reading/writing tab...from there I took off with learning a lot of songs from favourite artists.  Everyone's music is influenced by others.  I started getting my hands on lots of internet guides and bought almost every guitar magazine I could find.

I decided against getting into to much theory at the beginning and when I finally decided to get into it...I realized that I knew most of it...modes, scales, chord structures....I just didn't have a way to explain it and/or the terminology for what I was doing.

I've been playing for just over 3 years now.  I have a lot of friends who play in bands, have had years of lessons...and they are amazed at my unique style and fluid improvisation and soloing.

I am stuck in ANOTHER guitar rut though  :tongue:  I'm slowly opening up to some new styles of playing and some more theory, so I think I'm slowly dragging myself out of the rut again.

To the person that started this...like people said earlier...just stick with it.  Don't give up on it.  It can really feel frustrating like you think "I'm never going to get this".  So not true.  Eventually, you'll hit the point where your playing inspires you to learn more.  At the point when it becomes enjoyable...you really take off.  Just stick with it and practice, practice, practice!

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: New Instrument [Re: Kada]
    #4738779 - 09/30/05 09:13 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

LordOfChaos said:
Cords? ive been playing for years and i dont know what cords are what. lol. i need to take a class or 2. Good luck man! It is great enertainment and a hobby/pasttime.  :jamming:

Right on, I'm in your boat!  I know a few chords here and there, but I have taken no formal lessons on the guitar, yet I find myself often-enough playing it for about an hour each day, and LOVING it!  The beginnings may be slow, but it is very self-satisfying once you realize that you can actually play this thing, and that you did it all yourself! :thumbup:

By the way, for those of you that just like to jam out in open form, I suggest you throw on some Grateful Dead recordings and play over that!  I swear it's my daily medication :grin:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: New Instrument [Re: geokills]
    #4738884 - 09/30/05 09:39 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yeah dude, you definitely want to learn theory right away. Even if you don't take actual lessons.

I taught myself guitar, and I fancy myself pretty good, but I'm just starting to focus more on what chords I'm actually playing after 5-6 years of playing. I really wish I would've started doing it earlier.

Teaching yourself is great, but most people won't be able to figure out chord structure on their own. Knowing even just a tiny bit of theory makes writing songs SOOOO much easier than just hitting random notes until you find something that sounds cool...

and another peice of advice. Don't focus so much on playing other people's songs, and focus on writing your own stuff. Only non-musicians are impressed when you learn popular songs from tabs. Playing your own stuff is way more satisfying. And don't worry about making lyrics at first. Exercise your brain with instrumental stuff.

I only know one or two songs that I haven't written myself. Everything else is all mine, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: New Instrument [Re: dr0mni]
    #4738909 - 09/30/05 09:44 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Yea that's one thing that drives me nuts.. when people pick up the guitar and just lay out all this music that other people composed, and usually end up playing the same things over and over.  I mean hey, I got nothing against a little sing along of popular music (at all, in fact I love it!).. but throw some original composition into the mix, for your own satisfaction.  I've never learned someone else's song on the guitar (with the exception of a few notes from Wish You Were Here by P. Floyd).. it's always just about jammin'!

Theory is definitely the key to opening lots of doors in your skill set.  If you're lookin' to get serious you definitely need the proper understanding, but if you're just in it to tinker and you have a musical ear, you can get by without it.  Then again, maybe I shouldn't be talking considering that I had plenty of music theory over some 8 years of piano lessons before I ever picked up a guitar :lipsrsealed:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals