Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTsinaglou
learning...
Male
Loc: midwest
pf multispore cakes-one strain predominates in each?
    #4732447 - 09/29/05 05:34 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I've been watching my first flushes (first since 1982 :wink: on 1/2 pint brf/verm, and I'm noticing that phenotypic (size, color and timing)variation mostly occurs between cakes, not between mushrooms on the same cake.  I've read that often in a multi-spore inoculation one strain will predominate.  Is it orchestrating the behavior of multiple genetic types it's co-existing with or has it somehow transformed them into itself?  Eight out of the ten cakes I've got going right now look like only one "type" is fruiting on each cake.  Is this typical? 

I'm wondering because I'm thinking it could be easy to start many pf cakes and do an initial strain selection based on overall vigor, then clone from the mushrooms and go onto cased grain for real production and comparison.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
Re: pf multispore cakes-one strain predominates in each? [Re: Tsinaglou]
    #4753609 - 10/04/05 12:16 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

A colony of mycelium can be made up of different genotypes. Sections can be acting independently of each other, and yet respond similarly to the environmnetal cues. IE Pinning at the same time, and growing into mushrooms that appear uniform. Since you havealreadyapplied selective pressure on the popualtion of substrains in the jars, similar substrains should emerge.

Cubensis fruits in a broad range of parameters. This translates to less NOTICABLE variaiblity between substrains in similar environments.

P. mexicana would act differently. If environmnet does not remain CONSTANT, variaiblity will appear between substrains due to a less broad range of tolerance in parameters. IE, diurnal fluctuations in temeprature may expose differences that would be masked at a constant temp with mexicana, or at a larger range with cubensis.

Cloning a succesful fruit in the environmnet you will be growing in in the future will translate to future grows in the same environmnet.

If you are growing on rye in the future, then do multipores on rye and select from those.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation