Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
its a normal addiction, not a disease.
    #4732122 - 09/29/05 04:22 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Why is there alchoholism, yet no crackism? why dont people have heroinism? where are all the pharmaholics support groups?
Why will many jobs send an alcoholic to rehab on company money, yet fire the pot smoker?

because over the years, somehow, psychiatrists and other pathetic alcoholics have justified their own lazy and slob-like behaviour via genetics....once again.
Can anyone honestly try to tell me how they are genetically predisposed to enjoy beer more than me? Why is alcohol addiction the only addiction purported to be inherited?

here is a great quote my dad once said.. "Son, I would be an alchoholic, but i just dont have enough time"

for me, that sums it up. Alcoholic=lazy=crackhead.

alcoholics are no better than a crackhead, nor do they deserve some softer and lighter pity than any other addiction.

an addiction, is an addiction, is an addiction. Only you can prevent your own addiction!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

Re: its a normal addiction, not a disease. [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4732150 - 09/29/05 04:28 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I both agree and disagree with you.

I do believe some people are genetically predisposed toward addiction of all types, and the drug of choice could even be determined by brain chemistry. For example, Native Americans lack a liver enzyme that breaks down alcohol, leaving them particularly vulnerable to alcohol abuse.

That being said, it's all the same. The only reason alcoholism is more palatable to our society is because it has been sanitized and called legal, and because some of the most alcoholic folks you'll find on the planet are in high places. If you look closely, you'll also find that people addicted to prescribed pharms are given more leniency, too, AKA Betty Ford.

It's a predjudice, plain and simple.

--------------------

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
    #4732223 - 09/29/05 04:42 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Its no suprise that one of the few legal drugs in America is the one whose addiction is a "disease."

Addiction is simply a lack of willpower in some cases.

Though I would imagine this doesn't apply to junk considering that your cells begin to thrive on it at a certain point.

Offlinepsilocyb0rg
Psilocyborg
 User Gallery

Loc: New York
    #4732998 - 09/29/05 08:08 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It's true...I think alcohal can be just as bad, if not worse than some other drugs. I don't think it should be legal. Too much bad shit happens as a result of it.

I also agree that acohalism is a lack of willpower along with a load of excuses. It's a way for people to explain away their problem. Instead of stopping, they claim addiction.

--------------------

Join the Mushroom Army at
www.themushroomarmy.com

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: its a normal addiction, not a disease. [Re: psilocyb0rg]
    #4733407 - 09/29/05 09:40 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

it should not be illegal. prohibition creates more violent crime.

but yes, alcohol is a horrible drug in the wrong (possibly most) hands.... and yes a "disease" always seemed like bullshit to me.

I've heard they found an "alcoholism" gene but that makes no sense..... how can your genes which existed long before man ever made alcohol make you addicted to alcoholic beverages?

Some people may be more prone to rely on substances based upon their genetics, and maybe this isn't a bad thing since in man's early days he would use safe substances like shrooms and weed....

but I just can't fathom how alcoholism is a "disease" ... it may be a "mental disease" in which case it should simply be referred to as an "addictive personality"

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: its a normal addiction, not a disease. [Re: leery11]
    #4734202 - 09/30/05 12:42 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

leery11 said:
it may be a "mental disease" in which case it should simply be referred to as an "addictive personality"

Bingo.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: its a normal addiction, not a disease. [Re: freddurgan]
    #4734928 - 09/30/05 03:50 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

freddurgan said:
Quote:

leery11 said:
it may be a "mental disease" in which case it should simply be referred to as an "addictive personality"

Bingo.

No way. Everyone has an equal potential for addiction. I hate hearing people say "I have an addicting personality" when referring to drugs like cocaine. You are not a special case. Human nature is copascetic with instant gratification and hedonism.
Can anyone honestly tell me that they are genetically, personally, or mentally more predispositioned towards enjoying sex, drugs and rocknroll than me?

All "addictive personality" means is that you are a weak and lazy person who has no self control whatsoever. It isnt genetic, and it isnt "chemical imbalances".

OfflineBrakkie
Myself
Loc: Rotterdam... The City of ...
    #4735036 - 09/30/05 04:24 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I don't agree... Some people are just a bit more sensitive to addictions! Some people just don't have something to do in life so they drink, smoke pot or shoot up.

Some people are more likely to fall into that circle of their addiction...

Don't tell me that you don't have an addiction! Everyone has one: Coffee, Red Bull, Chocolate or whatever you use on a daily bases!

--------------------
"This combines the good sides of every other drug with none of the bad. This is the ultimate luxury, the flawless wisdom-pleasure hit. More mellow and cozy than heroin, but you don't nod out. I feel more alive and wired and energetic than with speed, but not jangly. Its got the blast of cocaine, but it lasted ten times longer."

"Going to the grave without ever having a psychedelic experience is like going to the grave without ever having sex. That means you will die before even becoming an adolescent." -Terence Mckenna

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: its a normal addiction, not a disease. [Re: Brakkie]
    #4735090 - 09/30/05 04:37 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Brakkie said:
I don't agree... Some people are just a bit more sensitive to addictions! Some people just don't have something to do in life so they drink, smoke pot or shoot up.

Some people are more likely to fall into that circle of their addiction...

Don't tell me that you don't have an addiction! Everyone has one: Coffee, Red Bull, Chocolate or whatever you use on a daily bases!

Right! everyone has an addiction, so what makes one drug addiction more susceptible to a certain genetic type?
How can one person be more sensitive to addiction? A=B....why? because. It makes no sense. There is no scientific backing, of any kind to suggest that one genetic structure is genetically predisposed to enjoying and wallowing in hedonism and euphoria than any other genetic structure.

My whole point is that addiction has nothing to do with genetics whatsoever. Addiction is nothing more than your resolve and character. Has more to do with how you were raised, and how you have lived your life. It is your fault you are addicted to something, and you are the only one who can break the habit. why? because you are the one who got yourself into it. It isnt anyone elses fault, and especially not some inanimate thing/property either.

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #4735101 - 09/30/05 04:41 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Actually yes, there are a lot of people that just have aspects of themselves of which may be weaker or stronger that attribute to drug addiction. They may have poor neurotransmitter production and in turn are chronically depressed. And many drug users turn to drugs because they are depressed, this problem only gets worse with drug use and makes quitting yet even more difficult. And that's just one thing, so I don't think it means "that you are a weak and lazy person who has no self control whatsoever."

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: its a normal addiction, not a disease. [Re: Locus]
    #4735128 - 09/30/05 04:53 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

OH! poor neurotransmitter production? that is laughable. it is nothing more than an excuse.
Why is it that Americans have the highest percentage of depression, which cross genetic lines spanning from hispanic to native american?
It is our culture and our diet which has created this "epidemic".

Why was it from 1995-96 there was a 40% increase in people diagnosed with depression or anxiety? why is it that every year these statistics climb and not regress, as well as ADHD "afflicted" people?
Im even willing to say that yes, there is a possibility that people can have a poor neurotransmitter production, but there isnt one (that i can find) study that can prove it linked to genetics. If anything it is a self conditioned physical manifestation. Something bad happens, you fuck up hard, you become depressed over it, you never confront it and it sits there in the back of your mind depressing you, and after a few months of this, your body starts to function in accordance with your own self conditioning and realizes it doesnt need to make more neurotransmitters, because you arent using those certain ones.
In the end it is all your fault. Even if you still want to personally claim that it isnt your fault, then you should kill yourself, because apparently you have no control whatsoever over your own happiness.

Sure you can become highly depressed for some time, but wallowing in it, and then turning to drugs doesnt mean that you are some victim of genetics.

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4735173 - 09/30/05 05:08 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, I see that you dont know what the hell you're talking about.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: its a normal addiction, not a disease. [Re: Locus]
    #4735180 - 09/30/05 05:10 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

ah, this is from the person who introduced "poor neurotransmitter production". Could you be any more vague/general?

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
    #4735192 - 09/30/05 05:15 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

oh yeah... i also want to add a big thumbs up for resorting to name calling while avoiding the facts and arguments i have presented.

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4735316 - 09/30/05 07:08 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

it's not vague when i mentioned depression right after it. i also wanted it to be vague at first so that it allows for a variety of problems.

there's no sense in discussing anything with you because as everyone can see you just argue your point and think you're right all down the page. Ive stated what i think, i don't need to join in your arguing and negating everything anyone posts that doesn't agree with you. what a pointless thread this was. :thumbdown: :rolleyes:

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4736126 - 09/30/05 12:40 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
This thread degenerated pretty quickly...you both should know that this forum is NOT for flames or heated argument.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being