Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineastabooty
Fashionasta.com

Loc: Ft Lauderdale and Gainesv...
7 days after inoculation...nothing
    #4730707 - 09/29/05 09:32 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

no contams, no myc. these jars were bought off the internet. should i try loosenign the lids to allow more air in? ps, there is no dry verm layer at the top. i am unsure if there ever was (probably was), but i shook them unknowingly after i inoculated. i got a filter on there, but i think it is a coffee filter, not tyvek.

humidity has been kept around 70% and temps a constant 79?.
i got some polyfil, could i move the jars near an open oven, open them up, put in polyfil (sprayed with an alcohol or an h2o2 mix to sterilize or microwave the polyfil shortly...?), then just put the jars back in the incubator with a loose top?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: 7 days after inoculation...nothing [Re: astabooty]
    #4730846 - 09/29/05 10:02 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

7 days is nothing, you really need to wait a bit longer. follow the directions that came with it (or online?). pics could help

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlineastabooty
Fashionasta.com

Re: 7 days after inoculation...nothing [Re: soochi]
    #4730871 - 09/29/05 10:07 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

soochi said:
7 days is nothing, you really need to wait a bit longer. follow the directions that came with it (or online?). pics could help

ok, i will take pics in a few mins. i have followed the directions so far. i also made a 2nd batch with a diff strain and spawned to popcorn.

edit: the pics

incubator+lids of jars

corn spawn (2 days old)

this is what i ordered from mycomonsters (7 days old)

Edited by astabooty (09/29/05 10:25 AM)

InvisibleFLLEWISFL
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4731014 - 09/29/05 10:41 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I can tell u that the jars from mycomonsters is fine for me, got 6 of them and my jars are well on there way.

Offlineastabooty
Fashionasta.com

Re: 7 days after inoculation...nothing [Re: FLLEWISFL]
    #4731029 - 09/29/05 10:44 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

FLLEWISFL, did you screw the lids on as tight as possible?

--------------------

my t-shirt website www.fashionasta.com

InvisibleFLLEWISFL
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4731072 - 09/29/05 10:53 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I definately didnt try to screw them on harder, I simply knocked 4 holes in the jar with the little tool they provided me, inoculated, placed 1 to 2 of those sheets that goes over holes and screwed jars shut. Want pics?

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4731081 - 09/29/05 10:56 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

the tightness of the lids makes no difference. those are some grain/seed jars and should be ok with the situation you have described. you haven't continued to shake after innoc have you? except for the temp, get it up to 82-85 and your colonization will pick up. that is once you get some germination.
did you shake the syringe very well before you used it?

as for the corn, never done it but i know for sure you didn't spawn to it, you did however inoculate it with some spore solution, correct?

:peace:

Offlineastabooty
Fashionasta.com

#4731091 - 09/29/05 10:58 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

sure pics would be nice.

let me also say, in the mycomonster jars i have 5 very small holes. i mean very small. they are not much bigger than the needle of the syringe. i fixed this and used bigger ones for my corn jars.

would the small holes not allow enough air? i alrdy asked and sum1 said it would be fine, but now i am not so sure.

--------------------

Offlineastabooty
Fashionasta.com

Re: 7 days after inoculation...nothing [Re: backupwards]
    #4731098 - 09/29/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

backupwards said:
the tightness of the lids makes no difference. those are some grain/seed jars and should be ok with the situation you have described. you haven't continued to shake after innoc have you? except for the temp, get it up to 82-85 and your colonization will pick up. that is once you get some germination.
did you shake the syringe very well before you used it?

as for the corn, never done it but i know for sure you didn't spawn to it, you did however inoculate it with some spore solution, correct?

i have shaken since inoc. i will stop that. i will also look into a TiT.

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4731145 - 09/29/05 11:08 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yes please don't shake me anymore, i start to grow and then you beat the hell outta me, uhhhh i may be dead now. maybe but probably not j/k with ya.
yeah no more shaking until you are about 20-30% colonized and then just gently shake them.

yes indeed a TiT in the mouth would be in order, oh i mean a TiT would keep your jars at a more even temp and give you better colonization rates once it starts.

best of luck

InvisibleFLLEWISFL
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4731177 - 09/29/05 11:14 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The jars are obviously not the same size as youres, but knowing there the same company u got them from and the material being "good quality", you can probably checkoff that the jars are good. I use those soft sheets they provided me to put over jars which has worked. I keep them in my garage inside of the FC they supplied me and keep a towel over it so no light hits it. I just check them out 2 to 3 times a day and open up box to air em out. Besides that its all time from here on out. Heres the pics! Beleive its been 8-9 days, so my jars are moving alone pretty fastish?!

Also u said something about shaking? I never done that, recommended?

Edited by FLLEWISFL (09/29/05 11:16 AM)

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4731200 - 09/29/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

You don't shake PF type jars, only whole grains.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

#4731224 - 09/29/05 11:21 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

your jars don't appear to be the same substrate as astabooty's. his are definitely some kind of wbs or something, yours look like they are brf jars of some kind.
fooman has got yer back on the shaking thing.

InvisibleFLLEWISFL
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: 7 days after inoculation...nothing [Re: backupwards]
    #4731254 - 09/29/05 11:26 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Not to hijjack your forum buddy, but whatcha think so far backupwards? 8 days, that fast progress or normal? the garage is the best temp. always 81-87 degress, and I dont let "bad air" get to the jars for I air out inside house.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4731330 - 09/29/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

One successful set of jars does not prove a company. Mycomonsters have had many complaints that I've seen. Besides that, you have different jars, different holes, and different substrate..so you cant check it off as being "good quality".

In fact, the jars look quite dry to me..besides probably having little gas exchange from the tiny holes. I'd bet the dryness is more your problem though. Injecting water is not a great solution before you even ask, you open yourself up to contams and excess water and the grains might not hydrate well with it anyway. You can try it if you really want, but personally I'd wait another week, dont touch them, and if you still see NO growth, then inject them with a little STERILE water. like 5cc's or so, then shake..see what happens. Otherwise just trash them and start over, make the holes bigger on the lids, go buy yourself a bag of birdseed (cheap), soak and simmer it and PC the jars yourself.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinejohnjohnandjamal
Stranger

Re: 7 days after inoculation...nothing [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4731606 - 09/29/05 12:39 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Just be patient. After 14 days, I would be concerned...

InvisibleNINJA
Turbocharged

Loc: In the saddle
    #4738564 - 09/30/05 08:01 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

OK,

I have a few questions, and a few suggestions. First of all, if you get no growth in a week, we will send you another set of jars and some agar plates for you to test your spore solution with, just contact us vie ebay, or through the site and include your item number.

Q: How big are the holes that you punctured in the tops of the grain jars and did you place poly fill in the lids along with the filters on top?

Q: are the lids on right side up, or upside down?

Q: How many cc's of spore solution were used per jar?

Q: is there any sign of mycelium on either the corn or the grain jars provided with your kit.

Q: Were both the corn and the grain jars inoculated with the same spore solution?

Q: Did you test the spore solution with agar or any other way to make certain that your spore solution contained viable spores?

Q: did you shake the jars after inoculation?

Q: have you shaken the jars at any other time.

Suggestion,

The suggested way to use the said jars would be..
1. Clean your work area, yourself and your surroundings with rubbing alcohol.
2. Clean the jar lid
3. flame the tool you are going to puncture the lid with.
4. puncture the jar
5. inject between 1/2 and 2 cc's of spore solution from a freshly shaken syringe with a freshly flame sterilized needle.
6. Install filter or poly fill over or in the hole.
7. flame the needle and recap your syringe.
8. shake the jar to distribute the spore solution.
9. store in a clean dark area with stable temperatures suitable for the strain you are going to cultivate.
10. after mycelium has overtaken 25 - 30 percent of the grain, shake, breaking up and redistributing the mycelium covered grain.
11. once the jar has reached 100 % +2 to 3 days, break the spawn up by shaking just before you inoculate your substrate.

Also, anytime you can, test your spore solution on agar. This will show you what is a known quality spore solution, and yo you can also do agar to grain transfers to start your jars from the test plate provided it is clean.

last but not least, have patience and if you answer the questions, i may be able to better help you.

NINJA

InvisibleNINJA
Turbocharged

Loc: In the saddle
Re: 7 days after inoculation...nothing [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4738581 - 09/30/05 08:10 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

scatmanrav,
I am going to hold you to your word here, and ask you to bring fourth the "many complaints that" you have seen. And just a friendly reminder that you might get farther if you were optimistic and point out the good also. I will not cut on other companies, and if i have a problem with a company i contact them about it. I don't have to cut on them as i, and the people working for me strive to make sure that our customers are treated fairly and get economical and high quality products in a timely manner. Anyone can contaminate a jar, and anyone can get a hold of dead spores. We try to help newcomers and advanced growers alike however we can. So, bring fourth, pm me the said posts, or post links to them here and let me know. I would appreciate it if you are going to diss us, to bring forward the said items so that we too can see what you have seen.

NINJA

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
One successful set of jars does not prove a company. Mycomonsters have had many complaints that I've seen. Besides that, you have different jars, different holes, and different substrate..so you cant check it off as being "good quality".

In fact, the jars look quite dry to me..besides probably having little gas exchange from the tiny holes. I'd bet the dryness is more your problem though. Injecting water is not a great solution before you even ask, you open yourself up to contams and excess water and the grains might not hydrate well with it anyway. You can try it if you really want, but personally I'd wait another week, dont touch them, and if you still see NO growth, then inject them with a little STERILE water. like 5cc's or so, then shake..see what happens. Otherwise just trash them and start over, make the holes bigger on the lids, go buy yourself a bag of birdseed (cheap), soak and simmer it and PC the jars yourself.

Offline3six5
Psychenaught
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right here
Re: 7 days after inoculation...nothing [Re: NINJA]
    #4738684 - 09/30/05 08:44 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

funny.. mycomonsters ebay store has over 250 user-feedback comments, _none_ are negative.. where'd u get that from scatmanrav ?

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 7 days after inoculation...nothing [Re: NINJA]
    #4738788 - 09/30/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Ninja,

I can't let you do business here at the Shroomery.

You probably have good products...and Scat probably shouldn't slam your stuff.

But your not a Shroomery Vendor...and I'm not going to allow this to continue.

Please use the pm feature to resolve your problems.

Click!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4738794 - 09/30/05 09:19 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
turning into a flame fest.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags