Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Great my SSRI made me an alcoholic
    #4727838 - 09/28/05 11:42 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

-------------------------------------------
Besides these very predictable interactions, a much more sinister
future lies in waiting for some users. This involves the tendency among some patients taking zoloft to develop an almost overwhelming craving to drink massive amounts of alcohol.

Could it be that zoloft, being a mood altering substance, removes the self-imposed barriers that individuals place upon themselves to stop their additions?

Certainly recovering alcoholics would be most at risk, but even those with little or no previous contact with alcohol have been known to develop this problem.

Another theory states that because these drugs have such a strong adverse effect upon the pancreas, a disruption in the body's blood sugar balance produces a "craving" for alcohol as the body reaches out for a "quick fix" to raise the blood sugar level. This triggers a vicious self-perpetuating cycle as the alcohol pushes the blood sugar level even lower after the brief high it produces.

-------------------------------------------

I've always been a drinker, but seems like ever since I got on the Zoloft i drink A LOT more. I go out 3 or sometimes 4 nights per week and drink enough for 3 people every time. I really think its something to do with the effect on the pancreas and blood sugar, because I really crave sugar and carbohydrates.

Ugh.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
Re: Great my SSRI made me an alcoholic [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4727897 - 09/28/05 11:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Damn, that sucks!

I never craved alcohol, but I damn sure munched out on anything with carbs in it! Weight gain out the ass!

How does that much more alcohol effect you? Does it take more to get buzzed or do you just end up getting that much more shit-faced?

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Great my SSRI made me an alcoholic [Re: VirgilKane]
    #4728675 - 09/29/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Takes more cuz my tolerance is so high....it seems I'm unstoppable also, i can just drink and drink and drink to no end, rarely puke. Kinda scary. Maybe i should switch to Effexor.

InvisibleNeon
Stranger
Male
    #4728718 - 09/29/05 01:37 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Usually alcohol disgusts me, but on the zoloft it always sounded pretty good and I ended up drinking daily. If you liked alcohol to begin with you might want to switch to something else, I've never heard of zoloft causing alcohol cravings but it sure matches up with my experience.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Doesn't need no stinkin' badge.

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4728871 - 09/29/05 01:54 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

First I've ever heard of this! Interesting. I do crave sweets whilst on Zoloft, although I do have a natural "sweet tooth" anyway....

OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
    #4732308 - 09/29/05 05:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm on effexor and they warned me of the same thing. I don't think you'd be better off.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Great my SSRI made me an alcoholic [Re: PoopShooter]
    #4733704 - 09/29/05 10:53 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

you're best off quitting them if you have the will power.

but it's a very grueling process.... i switched from zoloft to effexor.... and ended up hating both.... but never having done alcohol back then i can't comment on your situation.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #4735122 - 09/30/05 04:51 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You should really switch to a different antidepressant then man, absolutely. This one does this to you but chances are that most of the others out there won't, they all act differently. Anyway, it does warn you of this and you're not supposed to drink so much on any antidepressant. But I know you lost your willpower though so of coarse i don't blame you. I did the same thing when I was on high doses of a mix of two antidepressants, but with compulsive eating. So yeah man, see your doctor or psychiatrist and get that changed. good luck bro!

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being