Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Poo + Verm, coir, or peat
    #4726961 - 09/28/05 08:53 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

how many people do a mix in their casings? for the most part it shouldnt be needed, but i can see how verm, coir, and/or peat could improve things on top of stretching materials.

anyone done comparative grows?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Poo + Verm, coir, or peat [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #4727118 - 09/28/05 09:26 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I've used both, I have to say coir is best. Nice and fluffy and holds lots of water. Peat is an asspain cuz u have to remove all the sticks and crush up the chunks.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Poo + Verm, coir, or peat [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4727134 - 09/28/05 09:29 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I do about half peat, with some powdered limestone, and mix with half chunky verm. Then throw in about 20% coir, and 10% perlite.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Poo + Verm, coir, or peat [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4727159 - 09/28/05 09:37 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

i like the sound of what youve got going on scat, any pics? have you seen better performances from the mix than straight shit?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4730255 - 09/29/05 10:02 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Oh wait, you mentioned "how much do people use in there casings", I was thinking you were talking casing ingredients. I see now you mean in the substrate..with the poo I mix 20% coir, 30% chunky verm. I dont like messing with the pH so I leave out the peat and oyster shell. I have used perlite in the substrate too (realms of 10-15%), didnt really notice a difference but havnt played with it much and results were pretty optimal. I notice differences between that and straight shit, or shit with just verm, but they are very small differences, and straight poo can give some darn near perfect results as well. However for some of us who order the shit online, it might be better to stretch out the ingredients. I like big chunky balls of verm/perlite in there too (I would also add more perlite, and less verm if you have fine verm), gives lots of aeration to the soil.

You always add everything dry too, so it soaks up the poo water..experiment with different things, but thats a good place to start. I certainly havnt found perfect ratios yet, you could likly use more coir and perlite to stretch more..dont know though. Other then that, you might think of adding used coffee grounds to the substrate, but you'll need some lime for a buffer (this is the area that you can screw up your whole crop at once easily, messing with pH).You might think of adding worm castings (like 10%) to the mix, for a boost of nitrogen. Be careful not to use to much, to get an overly muddy texture. The coir really helps when you add castings, gives the fiber content that they dont have. You want fiberous, fluffy and full of nutes. You also might think of adding kelp meal (1 oz dry to 1 lb dry poo when soaking before pasteurizing) to give it an extra boost in vitamins and potency (no pH adjustment nessasary, but its another thing to order).

Sorry, I dont get many pics of my substrate...I usually use the mix above, though I've tried many different things, down to straight poo, all work well.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4730296 - 09/29/05 10:15 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

yeah i thought it might be good to add shit like that to improve texture, moisture retention, aeration, et cetera. castings really arent bad at all if you mix verm or coir to the right ratios like you said. I think coir over peat in the substrate is prob a good idea, bc coir does very well and the peat needs balancing. verm and perlite could improve the texture like the peat might. Stretching materials is good too.

ill be sure to include a substrate recipe in any growlogs i may do if i get a digicam.

ive read about sand in the casing layer, maybe sand in the substrate for drainage?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4730512 - 09/29/05 10:58 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

You'll get some sand in the poo...I dont like it. Perlite and the chunkyness of verm is more for the airation and "drainage". Chunky verm does well by itself, as said perlite could help. Between some sand in the poo, and the powder in the verm and perlite, you'll have plenty of sand like materials, you want to add fiber and balls for fluffiness. The coir is for fiberousness which helps for fast colonization, and I think it makes rhizos better, which is like having a better root structure on a plant, helps distribute nutes and water better and faster. Poo is pretty fiberous as it is, so not to much is really needed, more as you add castings...but you could use up to 50% as long as you added it in dry brick form to the poo water as your soaking to soak up the poo water..it might do better. I've been wanting to experiment with higher ratios of non nutritious stuff because it seems to me, that theres plenty of nutes in poo, they just are distributed and used enough, so you can use less poo and more fluff to get the same or slightly better results..just what I think and have been working on. Good luck with yours, I'll keep an eye out for it and see how it does.

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4730753 - 09/29/05 11:41 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

yeah ive used perlite, sometimes the more ground shit from the bottom of the bag, in place of sand in soil. so its better aeration makes it a beeter choice than sand. yeah, coir has the fiber and coarse verm/perlite the fluff. so no need for peat necessarily. The verm i have on hand isnt very coarse so i imagine ill be using perlite and coir. I like to oven pasteurize so there wont be poo water like in a pot pasteurization.

since i need to get more verm anyways ill go out and try to find the coarsest i can, any brand suggestions as all ive ever found is too fine? I dont like using perlite too much, so ill likely be using shredded sifted poo, coir, and the coarsest verm available. if i keep the mixed fluffed up and airy and dont comapct it i dont think ill have any problems. ill have to see though, about the need for perlite.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4730815 - 09/29/05 11:54 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

There still should be some poo water, you add water to your poo right? Add a little extra, then while its soakin, add the coir and perlite. Also kelp, and anything else EXCEPT castings, and verm. Then drain off most excess poo water..then add castings, mix, then add verm until you have the proper water content. You can also add dry perlite or horse poo if you have to much verm in and its to wet. Basically keep adding dry ingredients until the water content is perfect..all the water everything soaked up is poo water if you add it dry. Worm castings come perfect water content as is, so thats why you add them after you drain off the water too (you dont have too though). But if you add everything dry to the poo as you make it up, then load it into bags and do them in an oven or big pot or big trashcan

Then you have all the stuff in there, all poo water, and bags of perfect water content and nice substrate.

I have only found fine verm as well, you should add fine verm to the mix as well, just not as much and more perlite..the verm will hold in water as well as provide fluffyiness. Thats why course verm is best, has both. Otherwise you add fine verm to hold water and perlite for fluffiness. I do not normally add perlite to my mixes..except when I have extra, or if I use fine verm. If I have chunky stuff (which I order online) I just add that and coir..sometimes worm casings if I have them, but that requires a trip to the store. This is where I get verm. The 6cu foot box will last a LONGGGG time.
http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=GMV6&eq=&Tp=
1cu foot:
http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=GMV1&eq=&Tp=

That place is a nice one, they have lots of other stuff, including big bales of coir (got from there before, good fiberous stuff..big bales are more fiberous then the smaller bricks I've found)
http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/items.asp?Cc=GM&iTpStatus=1&Tp=

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4730872 - 09/29/05 12:08 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

i usually balance moisture in all components and then combine, if needed adding dry verm and squeezing excess water into it and then fluffing back up. I wet the coir to expand and break up bricks, mix and balance verm, add to poo. we're not far off from eachother though.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4731008 - 09/29/05 12:39 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

i think i may have the same white tubs as you scat, kinda funny since youve been on like all my threads here, huh?

if i dont get more of them i may end up doing them somewhat deeper than you, though.

How do they do without tinfoil? I thought since they were not only thin, but white, id have to use some foil or black drop plastic and keep the sides filled.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4731299 - 09/29/05 01:33 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Were not far off, the only difference is I get the benificial poo water soaked into all my ingredients. Its no more work..easier in fact, your doing it all in one bucket. To each his own though :smile:

The foil does more then protect from light. The bins arent light proof (hold one up to the light, youll see what I mean), but with a layer of tin foil you got light proof. Besides that, the tin foil clings to the substrate as it colonizes..then when you have slight shrinkage, the tin foil shrinks with it. Try some with and some without, you'll see what I mean, theres a definate difference and it helps the pinset ALOT. Besides that, it helps with the clean up. The myc eats through the tin foil in places and it stains the tubs, but everything washes away easier and such. Just get a giant roll from a costco if you can, or anywhere..then you lay a peice out, and push another tub into it, molding it..then just dump the poo, and dump the spawn, mix, trim to about 3/4" above the substrate level (to leave for a 1/2"-3/4" casing layer. If you trim it down to the right size this can also help you to lay a flat casing layer (to the substrate) which is also important in a good pinset, and it can help growth up the sides (stops up the tin foil) which can lead to side pinning. Side pinning, and uneven flushing, hurts the overall yeild..its only a little and you can still get fine results with out..but if your going for optimal..

--------------------

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4732394 - 09/29/05 05:20 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

we have the same spice rack too.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4732437 - 09/29/05 05:30 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

sterilized rye broth would probably be good to add to verm, maybe better.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation