Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan
Not going anywhere.
    #4726535 - 09/28/05 07:36 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm a slacker bitch and I do everything half assed.

I live with my parents and I feel like the only reason I'm going to school is so I can get out of working and live here for free, but I'm just fucking up in school, which in turn is fucking up my GPA.

I'm twenty fucking years old and I've never committed to a single serious thing in my life. I want to do good in school, I even PLAN on doing good. I think about it all the time. But when the time comes to study and whatnot, I'd rather fuck around and watch a movie or something. Major lack of motivation. I feel like I don't give a shit about anything. :shrug:

I'm also a TERRIBLE procrastinator, so I keep saying I'm going to change but I haven't done anything.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineswiftrance
Let there belight

Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4726548 - 09/28/05 07:38 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i hear ya man. as a fellow college student my best short term solution is this:

CAFFIENE!

lol no really, i think u just need a little discipline. Are you athletic at all? try getting into lifting at ur schools rec center (its free right?). its a great feeling to put in work and get/see results/rewards.

hang in there. NEVER treat dropping out as an option.
and dont stress too hard, C's get degrees my friend.

--------------------

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: swiftrance]
    #4726577 - 09/28/05 07:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not going for a degree right now, I'm working in a computer certification program. I have 8 classes this semester, and I only have 2 weeks for each class. I'm stressing the fuck out because I'm still on the test from a week and a half ago.

--------------------

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
    #4726801 - 09/28/05 08:30 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Step 1. Turn off all electronic devices. This means your computer, tv, etc. Maybe a stereo is ok.

Step 2. Realize once school is up you're out there. Unless your parents have a trust fund all set up for you so you can continue to sit on your ass and do nothing after school, think long and hard about what comes next.

Bust your ass and do good in school so you can actually put your knowledge to use. Sure you could zack morris it and do everything half assed but it won't do you any good by the time your ready to be kicked out into the real world. It's a mother fucker out there. Be prepared.

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #4726975 - 09/28/05 08:56 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Just think, if you bust your ass a little now, you could get a gravy job that ALLOWS you to sit on your ass for the rest of your life!

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

OfflineMJF
Human Being
 User Gallery

Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees...
    #4727584 - 09/28/05 11:01 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hella-tight....

I slacked off for 5 semesters...ruined my GPA at one school and went through a lot of shitty times..dealing with living at home..and lack of motivation and what not...

i finally think things are turning around for me. the last two semesters have gone really well. I think what did it for me was reading...and just an interest in learning anyway...and the fear of what the hell i was going to do if i didn't get an education. You've got time to fuck up a little more....but realize you won't change until things get to the point when you really want them to change and you actually do change. Atleast that's how I feel about it.

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #4743804 - 10/02/05 02:53 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm 22. I quit university by ditching my first semester finals a couple years ago.

I've lived on my own. I've lived with roommates. I moved back in with my mom for July because I lost my job when I decided to stay home and smoke weed for four days instead of going to work. Work at a cabinet shop. And I couldn't afford rent.

Then my mom decided to be a total psycho bitch and I couldn't stay.

Now I'm homeless. Unemployed. Broke.

I seriously have nothing to look forward to. I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow.

I think MJF has some words of wisdom. But at the same time, I can't imagine ever feeling happy again, let alone motivated.

I wake up saying things like "slay me" and "I want to never have existed." It gets pretty bad if I talk about myself for any length of time. I try not to tell anyone these things. Mostly I feign congeniality. For some reason, you anonymous shroomerites are like some kind of therapy. Sometimes I just need to say these things.

Life can never not suck.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlinepsilocyb0rg
Psilocyborg
 User Gallery

Loc: New York
    #4746470 - 10/02/05 09:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think that you just need to prioritize! i just think you need to fix your habit. not just for school, but for life. i, too live at home. but because my best opportunity for college is so close, that it's convenient. your life will be the exact same way, so you just have to break your habits down and try to prioritze things.

--------------------

Join the Mushroom Army at
www.themushroomarmy.com

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #4747966 - 10/03/05 03:33 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

HELLA_TIGHT said:
I'm a slacker bitch and I do everything half assed.

I live with my parents and I feel like the only reason I'm going to school is so I can get out of working and live here for free, but I'm just fucking up in school, which in turn is fucking up my GPA.

I'm twenty fucking years old and I've never committed to a single serious thing in my life. I want to do good in school, I even PLAN on doing good. I think about it all the time. But when the time comes to study and whatnot, I'd rather fuck around and watch a movie or something. Major lack of motivation. I feel like I don't give a shit about anything. :shrug:

I'm also a TERRIBLE procrastinator, so I keep saying I'm going to change but I haven't done anything.

Sometimes one has to feel low-low and disgusted by it before one can commit to something. 

Committing to something you don't like simply to commit to it isn't terribly helpful. 

You'll pull through, man.  :smile:

Just do what you've got to do now, think on this, and let your mind work over what you're interested in. 

There's no rush.  Being 20 and unsure about what you want to do is nothing to be ashamed of--that's a sign of questioning. 

Fuck up all you want before you're 30.  By then, you should be able to have a decent idea of where you want to go.

That's not a bacchanal license, tho.  :wink: 

You'll be all right.  :laugh:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: GnuBobo]
    #4748870 - 10/03/05 12:56 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

if your easily distracted, get out of the fucking house. go to a library to study. it doesnt matter if you unplug all the computers and game systems in the house, as long as their around you, you wont be able to concentrate.

the biggest thing about doing good at school is forcing yourself to be interested in whatever your studying, or to look at your subject as a challenge to conceptualize the subject matter. Its not like you have to remember any of it when your done with classes.

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: yousuck]
    #4748906 - 10/03/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yea, seriously, what yousuck said, get away from the distractions. i go to my living room at home to study, i still haven't found a good spot on campus, but i think i'm going to use the library.

the think about discipline is that there's no shortcut. you gotta take every step, uphill and downhill, savvy?

btw, it's a lot easier to deal with shit when your head isn't so cluttered. take 10 minutes a day to sit and meditate. when you wake up in the morning, don't jump out of bed. give yourself some time.

also, you might want to take up a martial art or some other physical discipline (www.urbanfreeflow.com - the art of parkour, i think it might have saved my life). if you can discipline your mind through your body, you'll have already developed discipline, and doing well in school will be much easier. it's like training your focus and attention. the more you train it, the better you'll get at it. at first it's hard, but give it a few weeks, and it'll be a breeze :-)

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

OfflineBorgFace
PEENTASTIC
Loc: Australia
    #4755380 - 10/04/05 07:29 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Some report done in Australia has shown that kids are living with their olds until they are about 30 nowadays, so I wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you.

The cost of living is also expensive. If you can milk your parents for a few more years and earn some cash in the process then nuts to those fucks who work all day just so they can live in their shitty rundown flat with cardboard boxes for furniture.

If you were good enough you might be able to fob a scraping mark at college. I do literally no work at all and I think I'm on a GPA 5.0 or something. Granted, the courses are different but even a halfway intelligent guy can pass and you seem to be one.

My parents are always giving me shit about not having a steady job or that I'm still living at home. That is until I explain the alternative to them, living on the streets, and they quickly change the tune of their thunder.

Anyway you'll sort it out.

--------------------
Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination!

doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: BorgFace]
    #4755815 - 10/04/05 09:25 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

You're parents should test the alternative, it might do you some good. Mooching off your parents is weak, especially when your able bodied and can enter the work force.

OfflineBorgFace
PEENTASTIC
Loc: Australia
Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #4755996 - 10/04/05 10:23 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Not when I study full-time and have a job as an office clerk one day a week. From this job I am able to earn enough to support myself and any needs I have. The only thing my parents do is pay for my food and let me sleep under their roof. What is the difference between doing this and turning up at a homeless shelter? Aren't you mooching either way?

I do not receive any unemployment or student payments so don't try and play that angle. I also help around the house by doing 2-3 hours of chores a day since both parents work full-time.

You can harp on about the freedom you have now that you've moved out of your parents house but I don't consider this freedom and so your argument will fall on deaf ears. Paying taxes, rent, utilities, food, car and any other expenditures you have doesn't leave much for recreation, and the time you should be spending doing things for yourself are instead spent at work. So explain to me, how is this freedom?

Oh, and I'm only 19 years old (finished HS 2 years ago).

Borg.

--------------------
Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination!

doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: BorgFace]
    #4757805 - 10/05/05 09:29 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If you're going to school full time, that's one thing. But to say you would enter a homeless shelter if your parents didn't support you is weak. Are you saying you would be incapable of getting a job and supporting yourself (given you weren't in school fulltime)?

I didn't say anything about freedom. I had just as much freedom living with my parents as I do now. It's more about say learning to create your own world, learning to fend for yourself, learning about what the real world is actually like instead of living in the cushy bubble that is your parents time, money and resources.

Life isn't all fun and games and recreation. Sorry to burst your bubble.

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #4758383 - 10/05/05 12:21 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If anybody has found a good way to beat laziness, and procrastination let me know.

That said, set goals for yourself. Short term goals. "I'm going to turn off the t.v. in 30 minutes, and start studying."
"Long term goals, i will only fuck around on the shroomery for 3 hours on weekdays this month, and spend X time taking care of my shit."

Hold yourself to them always, or else they become meaningless.

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4758540 - 10/05/05 12:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think I can be somewhat of an authority on this topic.

I'm around your age, I'm 21.

I went to UC Berkeley, graduated in honors in biochemistry with a 3.80 GPA and now I'm in Medical school at UPENN.

I'm not going to sugar coat anything of what i'm about to say, so don't take it as me being an asshole.

Listen man, first and formost, lay off the pot. I know it's hard, and you'll probably end up ignoring this advice, but trust me, it's crushed alot of people's dreams.

Secondly, a computer certification program really isn't going to get you that far, n o matter how optimistic you are about it. I suggest heading back to school and getting a USEFULL degree. Not just ANY college degree.

Thirdly, you have to realize that everyone has dreams of making cash money. Your aspirations are not uncommon, infact, it's probably the same dream everyone has. And yet only a select few actually end up achieving those goals.

You have to understand that the people who become the most successfull are also the ones who generally sacrificed the most of their youth and so-called "MTV Real World days".

I spent my 20th and 19th birthday studying organic chemistry. There were uncountable nights when I had friends holding parties or girls calling me up to come over because they were drunk. But guess what, I chose to go the unglamorous route and buckle down and study.

There is no "hiddin secret" towards reaching your financial goals and lifelong success. Hard work. Hard work. Hard work.

And finally, perhaps the most brutall honest thing I can tell you.

Going down the path you are right now, you're going to end up working a shitty cubicle job, with some asshole boss yelling at you, where you really aren't in touch with the purpose of your work, or even the relevance behind your progress.

And then...

And then you'll look back on these years and have the most deeply-rooted feeling of frustration and regret you'll ever feel. And that feeling will haunt you on a daily basis for the rest of your life.

Every time you come home from work.
Every time you get your measley paycheck.
Every time your wife and kids bug you to buy them something.
Every time you see some snot-nosed kid driving a car which costed 5 times what you're driving.

You will feel that regret.

Moral of the story:

Don't fucking waste your life. Buckle down, suck it up, put the bong away, and do your fucking work.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4758689 - 10/05/05 01:23 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:handth:

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Not going anywhere. [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4759214 - 10/05/05 03:35 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I quit smoking about 2 weeks ago. My (ex)boss told me the program I'm in will be equal a 4 year degree in computer science, and her son-in-law is going to add me to the county waiting list, so when I finish up I'll have an interview. Plus my mom works for the county too, so I have 3 references for them.

I don't plan on doing this permanently. I was actually planning on to going into a physical or earth science degree, up until my boss recommended me to go this route.

(You didn't come off as an asshole either, negative reinforcement works best on me. :smirk:)

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4759311 - 10/05/05 04:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well then, best of luck.

One more thing...

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day. He's a 32 year old who just decided to go into medicine.

We were discussing career paths and why it took so long for him to come around. And he brought up a good point.

At our age, we are still incredibly naive about the oppurtunities which we have granted to us. Because we have yet to experience true life failures which you could only come to realize at a much older age. Do you realize there are people who are twice our age and stuck in dead-end jobs who would absolutely KILL to be in our position once more?

It's sort of like, if we had experienced such failure and regret in our aspirations and goals, we would probably be working alot ALOT harder right now.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being