Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMr_Psilocin
finding moreactives thanever
 User Gallery

COLLECTING MUSHROOMS..
    #4726273 - 09/28/05 06:43 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I was just wondering if any of you ever have that feeling..you know the feeling you get when everyone looks at you giving you a weird look while you go around looking in everyones lawns,in the soccer fields,in wood chips and some times even cow pastures..
I'm curious how do you all rake in those mushrooms and not look suspicious?
I usually carry around a tissue paper box in my pull-over's front pocket and grab all the libs,subbs,fly algaric and sometimes even cyan's I can. But I've noticed that me carrying around a paper box full of mushrooms could attract unwanted attention..
So my question is how do you all usually go around picking,crouching down by every rose bush,wood chip pile and grass,to pick those lovely works of art we call mushrooms :heart: without attracting any attention what so ever?
Would you all please explain to me how exactly you do it and what precautions you take to get those lovely beauties?And what you guys put the treasured finds inside of without them sticking out of you're every pocket? :blush: 

--------------------
"I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale, and never tried it again." Bill Clinton

"A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly fifteen hundred pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response... In strict medical terms, marijuana is far safer than many of the foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death."

DEA Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young
Opinion and Recommended Ruling, Findings of Fact,

http://www.hempfiles.com/php/quotes.php

Edited by Mr_Psilocin (09/28/05 06:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCubensisCutter
mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: COLLECTING MUSHROOMS.. [Re: Mr_Psilocin]
    #4726596 - 09/28/05 07:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i walk through the woods into "my" cow pasture...when cars pass just take a knee, chances are the driver is looking at the road not staring into the field, i also carry a shoebox...and as long as it is not a cop looking at you pick mushrooms, then you really shouldnt care what bystanders are thinking (unless your Hunting on their property and their thinking 'hmmm, lets call the cops')

--------------------

thats right cubes in december bitches

Invisibleshroomr4life
Re: COLLECTING MUSHROOMS.. [Re: CubensisCutter]
    #4727774 - 09/28/05 11:34 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

dont be stupid, pretend your just out enjoying nature and dont CONSTANTLY have your eyes planted to the ground with your eyes going a million miles an hours lookin for some of them caps poppin out at ya. glance around every now and then, pretend like ur doing something, talkin on a celly, cleanin ur glasses if ya got any, shit man get creative. best of luck. peace

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #4728226 - 09/29/05 12:32 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The most important part of not looking sketchy when looking for mushrooms is your overall appearance. If you've got a mohawk, wear a hat. If you have tattoos, cover them up. If you have pericings, take them out.

Look presentable. As much as some might hate to hear it, dress preppy. I dress "preppy" most of the time anyway, so it's no real issue for me. No tattoos, no pericings. I usually wear a polo shirt and kakhi shorts or pants when I go hunting for actives. Blend in with the people in the area you're looking in. In my case, it's suburbia. I look like any other person walking the sidewalks and no one asks questions untill you go into someones yard to pick something. When it comes to that... Uh. Get creative. Still haven't figured that one out. Had some lady drive up in a minivan and ask me what I was doing. Luckly she was cool and told us that the neighborhood had problems with robbery and that we shouldn't pick there any more because she didn't want to see innocent people go to jail.

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: COLLECTING MUSHROOMS.. [Re: Gumby]
    #4729314 - 09/29/05 03:07 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I guess it depends on where you are hunting. I tend to just hunt. And I stay off of private property 99% percent of the time.

When people look at me, it's because they are wondering what I am doing, not because they think I'm doing something wrong. Complete curiosity.

Sometimes people (usually elderly) actually ask me, "Hi. What on earth are you doing?" (I'm usually waist high in Blackberry bushes, or burying myself in under the branches of an Alder tree, looking for cyans. I just reply, "Oh, mushroom hunting! It's the season to be out lookin' fer mushrooms." And they giggle, like old people do. Sometimes conversations are sparked. I never tell them that I am looking for psycho-active mushrooms. I just say, "yeah there are soooo many mushrooms in this state, you wouldn't believe it...but you have to really know what to look for, because there are some bad ones." They usually think that bad means active and toxic. So they assume I am looking for edibles.

My suggestion is:

Go mushroom hunting to FIND shrooms. If you are not carrying actives, when you are suspect, then you don't have a problem, as long as you're on public property.

When the time is right (dusk: Early Morning) to actually harvest them. Make it a quick in - and - out.

Even if a cop sees you and stops you, when you are only looking for them, he or she would have no idea what type you looking for, unless you are carrying them. This is my reasoning for the FIND and later HARVEST.

Trust me, if you find your own little patch, you will not forget where it is, and most likely, no one else will find it, as long as you use this method.

OfflineGrib_iz_Pitera
<CrimsonPants>
Male User Gallery

Loc: NW Russia
Re: COLLECTING MUSHROOMS.. [Re: psiclops]
    #4731869 - 09/29/05 03:33 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not so experienced hunter but I discovered the "find and later harvest" method often turns out to be "find and later lose". Sometimes I find mushrooms which seem to be not ripe enough, and leave them to grow till next morning. When the morning comes I find yesterday mushrooms destroyed by field mice, birds or other animals (including biped ones). So I usually follow the method 'find and instantly harvest' if the shrooms are not undeveloped pins of course.

I usually use a bike when hunting so I always can make a show of I'm inflating a flat tyre or putting on a falled chain. A 'mountain' type of bike lets to move quickly even through bumpy fields and you can tell you're enjoing the cross-country riding if some curious ass would ask you. A wallet on the bike' frame is good for keeping your finds out of squeezing or crumpling.
That's my 2 copecks..

Happy hunting!

--------------------
-Hey, what are doing here in the forest?!
-I'm..I'm just picking mushrooms..
-Look, he's  j u s t  picking mushrooms! Is that you who planted them?!

OfflineMr_Psilocin
finding moreactives thanever
 User Gallery

Re: COLLECTING MUSHROOMS.. [Re: Grib_iz_Pitera]
    #4748189 - 10/03/05 05:26 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Some creative and smart ways you guys have,but I no longer worry about it hehe after all I'm in Canada and yes like psiclops said I'll also be looking for edibles..so I don't think anyone will be bothering me(at least I hope so)

--------------------
"I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale, and never tried it again." Bill Clinton

"A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly fifteen hundred pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response... In strict medical terms, marijuana is far safer than many of the foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death."

DEA Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young
Opinion and Recommended Ruling, Findings of Fact,

http://www.hempfiles.com/php/quotes.php

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
    #4749846 - 10/03/05 05:06 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I carry a McDonalds carry-out bag when I pick mushrooms around town. Another more stealth container is just carrying a backpack like you are a student of some sort and leaving the top unzipped a bit with a open box in the bottom- just plunk the mushies in and go about your way. I have a decent appearance though (as suggested by Gumby) which I occasionally employ as my only tool. Recently, my job working for the City allows me to go to some interesting spots in my uniform where I can pick with the atourity of a man on a mission (like at the city horse stables...)

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

OfflineLiQuidSlim
Chillin

Loc: Houston, TX
Re: COLLECTING MUSHROOMS.. [Re: superblingtheory]
    #4750131 - 10/03/05 05:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Just don't be suspicious looking........Just be casual about it as if you're talking a nice walk.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification