Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Rita Ravaged Mushrooms
    #4725853 - 09/28/05 04:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Due to Hurricane Rita, afoaf was forced to evacuate her apartment and leave her poor man's pod there alone.

Cakes had very recently been birthed, dunked & rolled and placed in the pod. They had only been in the pod for a few days.

Afoaf left the cakes in a healthy state on Wednesday and returned to the apartment on Monday.

(Electricity was not lost, and the pod operated the entire time, circulating air.)

However, the apartment became very hot while afoaf was gone, because the air conditioning had been turned off (fear of broken windows).

Afoaf is now concerned about the cakes.

Immediately upon returning home the cakes had not pinned at all. This is understandable considering the temperature. Instead, Myc. had continued to grow on the cakes, over the coating of verm.

After a few days in air conditioning, the cakes have begun to pin, HOWEVER afoaf is worried that some of the myc. that grew while she was away does not look quite right.

On a few strands of Myc. there is a discoloration. Oh so faint, and oh so small. It does not appear to be spreading. It is not the standard blue myc. discoloration. It's hard for me to even tell what color it is, just a little darker than normal.

The discoloration is on strands of Myc. that are growing farthest away from the cake.

I am so sorry I cannot post a picture, I do not have a digital camera.

Afoafs concern is that this may be cobweb. Afoaf has never seen cobweb before, and does not have the personal experience to be able to diferentiate.

It should be noted that afoaf has looked at photos of cobweb, and this growth does not look like the fine, grey hairs that traditionally represent cobweb.

What should afoaf do in this situation? I know it is difficult for you to respond without photos.

The primary questions are these:

Would cobweb grow on a fresh cake, over Myc., and look almost identical to the Myc.?

Would high heat cause Myc. to grow in a slightly thinner fashion that normal on some parts of the cake?

What would high heat do to otherwise healthy cakes?

If the discoloration does not spread, and the cakes pin & produce mushrooms, is it safe to assume it was merely myc. discoloration?

What would cobweb do to the cakes?

Thanks for any help...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThe14thWarrior
The Shootist

Re: Rita Ravaged Mushrooms [Re: AllyKat]
    #4725859 - 09/28/05 04:44 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

They should be fine.  I'd dunk them for 10 hours and roll it around in verm to provide a better microclimate for them.  Good luck!

Maybe FEMA can reimburse her for her loss, or her insurance :wink:

--------------------

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
    #4725869 - 09/28/05 04:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Just fruit them as normal, its fairly hard to contaminate a colonized cake, if it is cobweb just dunk them again in h202 solution again cobweb wont survive this. I wouldnt worry too much about it, it could be mycelium piss caused by the high heat not to worry though.

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rita Ravaged Mushrooms [Re: djsage420]
    #4725894 - 09/28/05 04:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Its probably blue bruising. If it doesnt spread your fine. Any mold will show on a cuetip, if you wipe it as well.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Rita Ravaged Mushrooms [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4726306 - 09/28/05 06:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

afoaf took another look at them when she got home today.

afoaf says:

"They are pinning like mad at this point, but it still seems rather unclear in regards to whether this additional growth is funky myc. or cobweb.

It is nice to know that if it is cobweb, I can dunk them again and get rid of it.

Sadly, the spots of discoloration do seem to be spreading. But it looks unlike green mold or any other mold I have seen before.

Imagine cotton candy...now imagine how the edge of the cotton candy looks after you bite it...that's what this looks like.

I used a q tip to touch it, to see if it rubbed of on the q tip and it did not.

Removed a tiny piece of myc. or whatever it is to look at it up close. If I rub it between my fingers, it darkens to black...

If I do need to dunk these cakes again, how much h202 should be mixed with the water, and will the pins survive?

Should I scrape of the pins before dunking, or should I let them mature and then dunk?

Is cobweb dangerous to me?"

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4726424 - 09/28/05 07:15 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Also, I saw on another forum that cobweb mold can be sprayed with a 3% peroxide solution to kill it.

Is that safe to do, if it is growing directly on cakes?

OfflineAllyKat
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4726724 - 09/28/05 08:15 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Please help...afoaf is very concerned...

Afoaf has noticed that these areas have a grey tint, and is inclined to think it is cobweb at this time.

What course of action should afoaf take, considering that all of these cakes are pinning, even in the areas with the potential cobweb?

Should afoaf spray with peroxide? or peroxide/water solution? Or should afoaf dunk? If afoaf dunks, should the pins be removed?

Help please...

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #4728631 - 09/29/05 01:26 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

don't do anything, it sounds like to me you are fine.

BTW, dunking in h2o2 or spraying with h2o2 are not sure fire ways to get rid of cobweb. There is no sure way to get rid of it.

Bit if they are pinning like mad, then I would let them.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation