Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
Re: shrooms and brain cells. [Re: trailercamp]
    #474111 - 11/29/01 09:01 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

ok. my 1 year old college psycho-bio book says that there are only one type of known regenerating neurons (brain cells). the olfactory receptors regenerate because they are in more direct contact with toxins (through your nose) and a persons sense of smell depends on their regeneration. the rest of the brain cells you have probably all developed in your young childhood. once they reach a certain stage of growth they can no longer reproduce or divide themselves. the dendrites of a neuron (its connections to other cells) are growing, lengthening, shortening and dying all the time - hence things like memories and changes of opinion (when you "change your mind" its actually happening).

any counter claims would be apprectiated if they have a citation. otherwise trust the textbook, eh? (ill cite it too if you want but i am away from home)

some cells have very short lifespans but obviously there are many different types and apparanetly brain cells dont die as frequently. as we get older our brain cells do start to die but they compesnate with longer and more diverse denrites (at least in some people). also there are an estimated 100 billion brain cells.

alcohol doesnt kill brain cells. neither do most things. alcohol can shorten or "damage" the dendrite branches. marijuana and all the hallucinogens dont kill brain cells either. there was actually a study done by "maps" (maps.org) of people (ayahuasqeros id imagine) who have been taking ayahuasca (dmt brew from the amazon and in the tryptamine family) every few days for over a decade and their neurons had longer and more diverging dendrites than the control group! thats pretty fucking awesome if you ask me. i think that mushrooms *help* your brain function better because your brain gets more used to the synapses firing at a faster rate. i know that if i go for a long time without any then i feel a little dull. not that that proves anything though..

as far as the evolutionary theories of psilocybin mushrooms, take that shit with a grain of salt. might be fun to think about but there are some pretty silly presuppositions in at least the version found above. mkenna brothers version is a little better but its still just conjectural in my opinion. i think ("pop") philosophies of life are better rooted in georges batailles conception of excess and accumulation/expenditure based on solar radiation (read "solar anus" in the collection put out by minnesota press: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0816612838/qid=1007092803/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_11_8/102-3180179-0952122

-daniel.

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMs_Brown
Stranger
Re: shrooms and brain cells. [Re: rebelmoon]
    #474524 - 11/30/01 08:13 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Psilocybin mimicks the effects of serotonin in the C.N.S. There are also multiple receptor types for serotonin (they had discovered at least 17 at last check). When psilocybin binds the serotonin binding site, it triggers a sequence of events to occur within the neuron. I don't think it kills the cell. It may block the receptor site permantly, which is no big deal. The cell can alter receptor site numbers, and they do all the time. This is the whole basis for tolerance. This takes time. the depresion that some may feel comes from there not being enough free receptor sites for serotonin to bind to. Remember also that serotonin is naturally a slow acting neurotransmitter. So, the process of genarating new receptor sites may also be slow. I hope this is clear. I suck when it comes to explaining things in writting.

--------------------
" It's hard to be free. But, when it works, it sure is worth it !" J. Joplin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate