Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebandario
MasterDweedle-Wombaaaaa
Coolerpod Information? - This looks ooh so doable.
    #4723548 - 09/28/05 12:42 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Greetings and Salutations fine people of the Shroomery!
This is my first post here, and alas, like many first posts, it is begging for information :smile:

I found plans for the 'coolerpod' round the traps some time ago accompanied by a fairly detailed guide. Having gradually amassed all the parts required I returned to the UK mushie forum from which all instructions were linked only to find that they are no more! (seemingly dissapeared without a trace); foolishly I had only saved a couple of pictures, not the actual instructions themselves.

I've done many hours of reading from the teks on the shroomery and i'm just about ready to go with my first attempt, just waiting on spores.

The couple of questions I have remaining I think are pretty basic; the whole sterilisation and incubation procedure seems pretty straight forward.

Looking at those couple of pictures and drawing on (someone?)'s past experiences; Does it matter what I form the plug out of at the top of the terrarium? This thing doesn't look like it is a totally sealed environment as the top is basically just sitting over the bottom (albeit quite tightly) Would a basic cotton-wool/stuffing plug around the airhose be sufficient?

secondly; When you place your cakes onto the medium, what level under the substrate should the water be maintained? I'm guessing the idea here is that water is not actually touching the bottom of the cake as it's just supposed to wick it through the hydroton, but for an air-stone to be bubbling, there has to be some level of water present!

Finally, when you are at the pinning stage, is it ok to open your terrarium to adjust water levels and check progress etc or is infection still somewhat of a concern?

Many thanks in advance! This is something i've been wanting to do for a while; finally put some of my scientific education to good use :smile:

--------------------
-Where's my bloody rocket pack?!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coolerpod Information? - This looks ooh so doable. [Re: bandario]
    #4723580 - 09/28/05 12:59 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Would a basic cotton-wool/stuffing plug around the airhose be sufficient?

That looks like polyfil to me, which I'd recomend over the organics you mention.

Quote:

Finally, when you are at the pinning stage, is it ok to open your terrarium to adjust water levels and check progress etc or is infection still somewhat of a concern?

Your definitely fine at that point. Just don't wipe your ass with them or drop them in the kitty's litter box....

I don't have a specific answer for you about the water level. You definitely want some in there, but you are right you don't want the water at the same level as the top o the rocks. Perhaps you could use the poor mans pod for guidance there?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineSillypcybin
Stranger
Re: Coolerpod Information? - This looks ooh so doable. [Re: mycofile]
    #4723657 - 09/28/05 01:29 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Those look like lava rocks at the bottom. Expanded clay? If so, then you can pretty much have the water up to the halfway point of the top layer of rocks without a problem, I think.

OfflineMych
Stranger

#4723690 - 09/28/05 01:36 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bandario said:
Greetings and Salutations fine people of the Shroomery!
This is my first post here, and alas, like many first posts, it is begging for information :smile:

I found plans for the 'coolerpod' round the traps some time ago accompanied by a fairly detailed guide. Having gradually amassed all the parts required I returned to the UK mushie forum from which all instructions were linked only to find that they are no more! (seemingly dissapeared without a trace); foolishly I had only saved a couple of pictures, not the actual instructions themselves.

I've done many hours of reading from the teks on the shroomery and i'm just about ready to go with my first attempt, just waiting on spores.

The couple of questions I have remaining I think are pretty basic; the whole sterilisation and incubation procedure seems pretty straight forward.

Looking at those couple of pictures and drawing on (someone?)'s past experiences; Does it matter what I form the plug out of at the top of the terrarium? This thing doesn't look like it is a totally sealed environment as the top is basically just sitting over the bottom (albeit quite tightly) Would a basic cotton-wool/stuffing plug around the airhose be sufficient?

polyfill would work best.. just lightly stuffed in there to keep anything from dropping in, but enough to let the air that is being pumped in escape.

Quote:

bandario said:

secondly; When you place your cakes onto the medium, what level under the substrate should the water be maintained? I'm guessing the idea here is that water is not actually touching the bottom of the cake as it's just supposed to wick it through the hydroton, but for an air-stone to be bubbling, there has to be some level of water present!

exactly
typically you want to leave water at 1" below the surface but i have been fine with less than 1/4" away
Quote:

bandario said:

Many thanks in advance! This is something i've been wanting to do for a while; finally put some of my scientific education to good use :smile:

its fine, infact it may be recommended to air it out. thats what fanning is all about.  a fully colonized cake is fairly hard to contaminate.

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: Coolerpod Information? - This looks ooh so doable. [Re: Sillypcybin]
    #4723692 - 09/28/05 01:37 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sillypcybin said:
Those look like lava rocks at the bottom. Expanded clay? If so, then you can pretty much have the water up to the halfway point of the top layer of rocks without a problem, I think.

its geolite

Offlinebandario
MasterDweedle-Wombaaaaa
Re: Coolerpod Information? - This looks ooh so doable. [Re: Mych]
    #4726792 - 09/28/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you to all who replied; going to have to direct my study break towards the hardware store this weekend.

I really like the look of this pod; you can start small and expand as you get more confident; also will help stop condensation from dripping onto the mushrooms.

--------------------
-Where's my bloody rocket pack?!

InvisibleJackTackle
pinningmycologist

Loc: behind you
    #4727046 - 09/28/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

basically a poor mans pod in a water cooler jug
look to the PMP tek for more info

--------------------
Stay Blue!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale