Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Air Pump, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator...
    #4721989 - 09/27/05 09:38 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hey all,

AFOAF has a problem. His room is about 85 F, and his martha is full of poo casings. A test casing was made, and it refuses to pin...light and FAE are in effect for 4 days, no pins - rapid myc growth over casing though...Overlay despite patching.

The poo casings need to be fruited NOW. The temps are too high, and I am sure they will act like test casings.

Any ideas for a ghetto-rigged cooling solution? AC is not available in the room, nor is cash or friend w/ window style ac unit.

So the icepack with the humidifier blowing on it is not enough to cool things down. I am talking ghetto rigged here. Get to work, we all love to find solutions to these things.

Thanks people
Peace

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: ADoobie]
    #4722020 - 09/27/05 09:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

You cant find solutions when none exist.

Break it down. You need cooler temps period. You need a way to drop temps. There are only a few ways to do that, youve got ice, and electric. If you cant afford electric means (might be cheaper then loosing all that poo, they can be had for ~80 bucks) then you must get enough ice. Frozen gallons in front of fans in the room blowing at the chamber, or lots of gallons of frozen water. Put more gallons on the top, and some on the bottom.

If you cant do either of these, you dont have much else you can do but toss it do you?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinefredyjenkins
Stranger
Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4722129 - 09/27/05 10:08 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

ice pack, you know the thing you carry in your lunchbox :wink:

--------------------
-English is not my native language. So im not retarded, i'm just not very engligh articulate. Please forgive me for my bad writing! :wink: Thank you! :laugh:

OfflineMrKrinkle
Stranger

Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: fredyjenkins]
    #4722366 - 09/27/05 10:54 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i used frozen meats to cool my terr. :smile:

--------------------
"the air is gettng slippery..."

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4722463 - 09/27/05 11:13 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Just an idea. Take a bunch of small tupperware or any other type of plastic containers, fill them with water and freeze them all. Then take the ice blocks from the containers and drop them into the coolmist water. This should cool the water and the breeze coming from the coolmist. I'm thinking that these big cubes will last longer than regular ones and that if you have enough of them, you can keep replacing them as they melt. I could be wrong about how long the blocks will last, but at this point, it's worth a shot!

--------------------

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: fredyjenkins]
    #4722481 - 09/27/05 11:15 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Ice Packs? Buckets of ice? Frozen meats?

How is it that this community can come up with heat bombs, TIT, PMP and the like - but when it comes to getting things colder the only thing we can think of is a fridge or frozen foods?

I thought of these, and it's not very practical. Ghetto, I give you that...but practical?

I thought of dry ice, it lasts a lot longer...but damn its not going to last for the weekend that my friend is out of town.

come on work harder scat :smile:

Peace

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: FooMan]
    #4722494 - 09/27/05 11:17 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

dont toss them. they will eventually pin. could take awhile though ~11 days at that temp i would belive. you wil get results but it will just take a little longer. have temps in the 70'2 is only recommended not required. light and FAE are enough to induce pinning it just takes a few more days.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: goofy98]
    #4722545 - 09/27/05 11:24 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

How is it that this community can come up with heat bombs, TIT, PMP and the like - but when it comes to getting things colder the only thing we can think of is a fridge or frozen foods?

there is a simple answer to that. Its a lot easier to warm up then cool down. Think about winter weather and summer weather, its a lot easier to throw on a sweater to keep warm then it is to cool yourself off in the heat.

You've pretty much seen all of your options right now. The only other solutions would to be just to move the FC to a cooler area like a bassment or a room that doesnt get hit by the sun all day. AC units only cost about 80 bucks, between two people that's not much expense to save a lot of time and effort right?

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Edited by coda (09/27/05 11:25 PM)

Offlinegoofy98
 User Gallery

Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: coda]
    #4722570 - 09/27/05 11:27 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

you can spend 200 dollars and by a chiller like they use for weed grows if your desperate

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
    #4722590 - 09/27/05 11:29 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

goofy98 said:
dont toss them. they will eventually pin. could take awhile though ~11 days at that temp i would belive. you wil get results but it will just take a little longer. have temps in the 70'2 is only recommended not required. light and FAE are enough to induce pinning it just takes a few more days.

True, but a higher rate of myc growth that doesn't know it's time to pin will produce an un-even, non-optimal pinset, and possibly overlay...

It has been incubating for 8 days with three patchings. This mutha needs to fruit.

Hopefully the temps going down at night will help. Blinds will be kept shut to reduce energy impact on inside air...

--------------------
ADoobie said:

Offlinegoofy98
 User Gallery

#4722637 - 09/27/05 11:38 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

your not gonna get optimal conditions with that setup without usin the methods described or spending money. pick one. you think your the only person to have this problem over the many years of this site. dont you think people would share that knowledge with you if we had it?
and unless them trays are clones your not gonna get a perfect pinset anyways.
ive fruited at those temps with a pretty clone line and got perfect results. it just took a couple extra days to pin. the idea that youve patched 3 times in 8 days says you might not be patching correctly.

Invisiblemycogirl
Fold@home!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4723181 - 09/28/05 01:08 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Edited by mycogirl (03/14/06 02:51 AM)

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
    #4723278 - 09/28/05 01:29 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:crankey:
Damn son you got a nifty little attitude now don't ya?

First of all a clone doesn't tell jack shit about pinsets. Will a clone of a mushroom that was fruited from poo fruit better on poo the second time around? Yes. Does it promise "optimal" pinsets? Not at all. You could fuck up your pinnning and change the entire outcome of it. And thats assuming your clone is growing on the same substrate that it was harvested from. Has your poo changed at all, the source, the horse or the compost in general?

Second, optimal is a relative term numb-nuts. It refers to ideal expectancy, and that of course changes under different conditions. If optimal was implied as a set maximum, the term "perfect pinset" would have been used. It was not. Optimum is getting the best I can with what I have.

Third, and again, a clone doesn't mean jack shit. I think you might be talking about an isolated sub-strain that has been singled out from hundreds of other sub-strains that have gone through thousands of tests under even more complicated growth-to-fruiting cycles. Furthermore, once that sub-strain has been found - it is highly unlikely that a home cultivator such as my FOAF (who, might I add, is conducting the work in a fucking martha stuart plastic closet) will meet, match or even come close to the set specifications for the cultivation OF that strain.

Finally, and last but not least, patching three times in eight days tells you nothing about my ability to patch correctly. If anything your comment implies that you might want to go do some more reading yourself. Patching three times in eight days simply means my casing layer was fucking thick, my substrate was damn level. I didn't need to patch 12 times because only three times did the myc break the casing level at uneven and less than than ideal consistency - furthermore, it only found surface along the sides of the bin. Now maybe my casing and temperatures weren't optimal, (hey, there is that word again) - but since patching is, as the name implies, to make up for imperfections - I did a DAMN fine job. The casing looks like a million bucks. And for further information, the myc has just on day eight reached within a 1/16 of an inch or so (but has not broken) the top of the casing layer...and it is uniform. 'Bitchin uniform.

Now, do you feel that level of negativity? Yeah, now I'm the one with the attitude and I am going to be the first to admit it. My medication is late coming in the mail, so you picked the wrong day to be a smart ass. And in case you are wondering why I am agitated enough to post (beyond not having my meds) It's in response to the following:

"your not gonna get optimal conditions with that setup without usin the methods described or spending money. pick one. you think your the only person to have this problem over the many years of this site. dont you think people would share that knowledge with you if we had it?
and unless them trays are clones your not gonna get a perfect pinset anyways.
ive fruited at those temps with a pretty clone line and got perfect results. it just took a couple extra days to pin. the idea that youve patched 3 times in 8 days says you might not be patching correctly."

Check your facts, check your attitude, check your logic, and check your damn post before you publicly talk down to someone. Biotch. :thebird:

I am sure that scat didn't miss my sarcastic humor - it's not new to him. So if you used that as your basis...:blowme:

Feel free to lock thread, or do whatever you feel you need to do mods. I am gunna go smoke a bowl and forget I got that kind of response for  some (granted off beat) humor-prods for creativity. 

For those of you that did post positive ideas, thanks. Much appreciation. Btw I found a friend with a nice AC unit. No frozen meats for me (...the idea did seem like it would work better than ice. But the dead animal in my fruiting chamber turned me off).

--------------------
ADoobie said:

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
    #4723301 - 09/28/05 01:36 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Oh, and I thought of a better ghetto solution.

Dip rags in water. Throw in freezer. They will freeze much faster than a bucket of ice. Take one rag out, and hang it on or in front of a fan. The fan will suck the hot air from behind, push it at/around/through the rag (the thinner the better, depending on how long you want it to last)...as it does so, the molecules with pick up the h20 (which is significantly lower in temperature) and distribute it through the air.

This has the same effect of putting buckets of ice in front, but it is much faster distribution of the "coolant", does not leave you with a bucket of melted water, and you can freeze 20 + rags in a few hours. The thicker the rag, the more water and cooling it will provide. Add extra fans to the process and cooling your closet should take only minutes.

Hey I just wrote the first coolant tek out there. Again, I would like to shove that up your ass there goofy, you little fruit. Guess what I just did? Came up with another idea that "out of the years the forum has been around, has never thought of" and if they had, that means someone has yet to share it with me. I will accept your apology now...NOW I am going to go take that toke.

EDIT: We can call it the "Poor Man's EVAPORATIVE SWAMP AIR COOLER" tek. Yah, the name needs work. Any opinions on that in paticular?

--------------------
ADoobie said:

Edited by ADoobie (09/28/05 01:40 AM)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #4723605 - 09/28/05 03:11 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

agar has posted using an electric wine bucket style chiller as a means of reducing temps. I'm not sure, but I think they can be had in the $30-50 range.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: mycofile]
    #4723633 - 09/28/05 03:20 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

good look myco. I know exactly what they are...no bullshit, I thought of using one. I just couldn't think of how to implement it. But now that I reconsider it, I think just turning it on with a small object or modifcation to the sensor could start it spinning and pumping out cold air....

shit..I uhh...AFOAF would be a better way of saying it...well his family happens to own a winery and he can get one for free no doubt...or at least at wholesale. Hmm...got a link to that agar post?

--------------------
ADoobie said:

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: mycofile]
    #4723643 - 09/28/05 03:25 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks myco...found it though. Might look into it...
For you other peeps:

Agar's (modulatorofastrophysicalconcepts)

--------------------
ADoobie said:

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#5186640 - 01/16/06 01:05 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Fashion a long ass lenght of clothes dryer hose to connect to the closest a/c vent, the route it into the grow room.

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hay Un Mundo Mas Alla
Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: Fraggin]
    #5186680 - 01/16/06 01:19 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

You know what, ive been having the same problem. The wine chiller lookkas like an awesome idea.

found one on ebay for 24.99 on buy it now option. Hmmm, i think i might by it.

--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Edited by GodsEntelechy (01/16/06 01:21 PM)

OfflineJoeyShmoey
PowerStroker
Re: FOAF's Martha is a damn incubator... [Re: Akira]
    #5186742 - 01/16/06 01:39 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

If you had the right sized diameter tubing, and a good length of it to coil around a larger tube ( maybe PVC) You could then submerge the coiled tubing down into the wine chiller. Find/fashion an air pump to the end before the chiller and you have a make-shift ac unit!
I do this in my TIT, except I pump warm air into the the top tub for FAE, I use this as a FC, it's kept in the attic where it gets quite cold.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Air Pump, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation