Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Not Really That Bad *DELETED*
    #4719997 - 09/27/05 01:19 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by itstarssaddam

Reason for deletion: .

Edited by itstarssaddam (01/29/06 09:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: it stars saddam]
    #4720119 - 09/27/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

How bad it is over there is subjective. It's not like the troops are suffering mass casualties. Sure people die almost every day, but isn't that to be expectd?
The media makes it out to be some kind of bloodbath, when it's not that bad.

Is taking a Marines opinion of the situation that much more stupid than taking the medias opinion?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4720154 - 09/27/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

How is your knowledge of what is going on over there any more clear than his? Do you have contacts in Iraq who you maintain direct contact with about the affairs over there? I doubt it.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4720178 - 09/27/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with daimyo in that it's completely subjective. Bad compared to what? Looking at previous wars the US has been in, I'd much rather be stuck fighting insurgents in Iraq than stuck in one of the World Wars or Vietnam, but I imagine it'd still be bad compared to lazily sitting around in the States, watching TV and smoking pot all day. What are you comparing Iraq to in your statements?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineDeathCompany
Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in my head
Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: Ravus]
    #4720188 - 09/27/05 01:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

thats quite the point

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4720280 - 09/27/05 02:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I've talked to three people who have been fighting over there. The consensus is that it's pretty shitty, but that's not an evaluation of how we're doing. It's just pointing out the obvious fact that war sucks, especially if you're fighting in it. One guy did seem to bring some insight into how Iraqis viewed them. He said that they had mixed feelings -- that on the one hand, they were glad to have Saddam out, but on the other hand, they feel betrayed because of how we abandoned them at the end of the first Gulf War.

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: Silversoul]
    #4720558 - 09/27/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
He said that they had mixed feelings -- that on the one hand, they were glad to have Saddam out, but on the other hand, they feel betrayed because of how we abandoned them at the end of the first Gulf War.

And yet so many people want to do it again.  :nonono:

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: daimyo]
    #4721356 - 09/27/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
Quote:

Paradigm said:
He said that they had mixed feelings -- that on the one hand, they were glad to have Saddam out, but on the other hand, they feel betrayed because of how we abandoned them at the end of the first Gulf War.

Good Point.

:osama: :machinegun:

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: daimyo]
    #4721366 - 09/27/05 05:41 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

daimyo said:
Quote:

Paradigm said:

Yes, I'd agree that it would be foolish to pull out now, but I wonder just how long it takes for the Iraqis to set up a stable army and police force capable of handling the insurgents.  At what point can we say that it's safe to go?

--------------------

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: Silversoul]
    #4724241 - 09/28/05 07:25 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Forgive me if I seem heartless and cruel to the Iraqis...being from the military myself..I have been on the Iraqi - Kuwaiti border many times....this is war....people die...Innocent people die even more then the combatants....thats why its war.

Give em two weeks. Make any town or village that is a hot spot, make the populace exit with there hands up, with no weapons or possessions....if they dont do this kill them...go to the next town...ect...ect. After a few bloodily engagements..word will get around that we mean business and less people will die in the long run...once they are all collected..VERIFY WHO THEY ARE AND GIVE THEM ID CARDS! The biggest problem out there that I had was trying to figure out who the fuck this Iraqi is...and is he even telling me his real name. Think about it, if you get pulled over by the cops...they can identify you...over there it is complete CHAOS. During this documentation process they will be held in a con tolled secure environment...this would never fly because the media would call it a concentration camp...and be given jobs to fix there village they were evacuated from...pay them...give them new clothes...give them a sense of nationalism....and so on... I know that this seems brutal and wrong, but a true war is itself these things...there is no way to fight a war any differently without sacrificing men for no reason,

LIKE WE ARE DOING NOW! This war could have been over by now if we would turn of the fucking cameras, take care of business, and fuck any political correct bullshit!!!!

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #4724264 - 09/28/05 07:39 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Give them MCDONALDS!!

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: psyka]
    #4724281 - 09/28/05 07:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Actually in Acuba, Jordon they have a KFC in the middle of the desert....sand bars, dunes, and wind then a KFC in the middle...fucking tripped out!

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
    #4725160 - 09/28/05 12:01 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The situation is fucking horrible. That is it in one sentence. Anyone who believes otherwise does not read the horror stories constantly coming out of there.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: bukkake]
    #4725710 - 09/28/05 02:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bukkake said:
The situation is fucking horrible. That is it in one sentence. Anyone who believes otherwise does not read the horror stories constantly coming out of there.

Horror stories are typical propaganda pieces that cannot give the full picture. One returning Iraq veteran showed me some of the gruesome pics he took while he was there, yet he was still strongly supportive of what we're doing there, and seemed proud of what he was fighting for.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #4725896 - 09/28/05 02:52 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

LIKE WE ARE DOING NOW! This war could have been over by now if we would turn of the fucking cameras, take care of business, and fuck any political correct bullshit!!!!

Yeah, but the point of the war isn't to kick the Iraqi's asses, they're supposed to be making things better over there.

How would you like it if someone came to you town and shot you mom because she didn't want to evacuate her house without some of her posessions?

Sure we could "fuck any political correct bullshit", but what's the excuse for being over there in the first place if you're killing more of them than Saddam ever could?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: Phluck]
    #4725933 - 09/28/05 03:01 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You really think we're there for the Iraqis? The United States serves itself; I don't know what the point of this war was, but I'd bet money that it's not Iraqi liberation or Iraqi rights. Bush must've thought he'd get something out of it.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: Ravus]
    #4726029 - 09/28/05 03:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I can assure you that the U.S. wouldn't be there if Iraq only grew Broccoli....then again, it could just be a coincidence that they are sitting on the second largest oil reserve on the planet.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflineThe14thWarrior
The Shootist

Re: Not Really That Bad [Re: Rono]
    #4726038 - 09/28/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Most vets that I come into contact with think that Iraq sucks, but it's mainly because of the weather and being away from home. I don't think it's as perilous as, say, Vietnam.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#4726054 - 09/28/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yet what are we getting out of it? For some reason, I doubt that we've gotten a net gain after all the tens of billions of dollars spent, and with the Feds having so many resources, it'd seem doubtful they could overlook such a glaring problem.

Perhaps Iraq will become useful as oil gets scarcer, but currently the US is suffering high prices like anywhere else.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#4726055 - 09/28/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yet what are we getting out of it? For some reason, I doubt that we've gotten a net gain after all the tens of billions of dollars spent, and with the Feds having so many resources, it'd seem doubtful they could overlook such a glaring problem.

Perhaps Iraq will become useful as oil gets scarcer, but currently the US is suffering high prices like anywhere else.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]