Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
HELP - list of questions
    #4715403 - 09/26/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I just had to flush my first jars last month and was very unhappy about it :frown: :mad: :mad:.

Now, after more reading (almost the whole site) :shocked: I still have some questions:

1. :confused: I saw in a tek that H2O2 can be used instead of water. Do you recommend it? It makes sense to me but I'm afraid it might affect the spores.

2. :confused: How important is ventilation? Some have the holes covered with tape and some use tyvek or polyfil. I think I can get some "mineral cotton" - used in constrictions, probably the tyvek you talk about or some coffe filters. But I would like to keep things as simple as possible. I've got some silicon to cover the holes for good.

3. :confused: If I seal the jars really good (with silicone in the holes and on the margins of the top) is there a chance the jars will break. I don't have a pressure cooker, so I can only boil them, which leads me to the next question.

4. :confused: How long should I boil them. As far as I know, it's 1h but I've seen some boil them longer and some more.

5. :confused: I will use red millet. How much? I don't know. Quantities vary considerably here. What do you say, should I fill my jars half way up, 2/3 or up to the top?

6. :confused: Should I simmer them? Most don't reccommend this and I don't see what it's good for, but I just thought I'd ask. Last time I did simmer and I think that's a reason why the water got kinda white from the millet.

7. :confused: How much water should I put in? Some say 1/4 s much millet and some as much as 3/4. I think this deppends if I simmer them or not.

8. :confused: What is a "flow hood"?

I will post tomorrow some pictures with what I want to do.

:thumbup:Thanks a lot for all the support I recieved until now and I hope this time will be better.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

Re: HELP - list of questions [Re: Phoenix99]
    #4715444 - 09/26/05 04:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phoenix99 said:

Now, after more reading (almost the whole site) :shocked: 

the whole site, huh?

you can't boil bird seed-
it must be pressure cooked in order to eliminate endospores.

that is your first problem.

the use of peroxide is a practice used when preparing liquid media.

you're stuck w/ brf cakes unti; you get a pressure cooker.

it will be a wise investment.

that's all i have time to answer for now, but i'll drop back in to see if you found the answers to all of the questions that others' answers will have spawned.

(oh!) and when you get a pc, start researching poo as a substrate.

good luck-
:zoom:

--------------------

OfflineLoriath
Needing Practice
Male
Loc: Canada
    #4715445 - 09/26/05 04:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Here you go, i'm new here so i'm not 100% sure, but from what i've gathered from reading this is what i can say. Dont quote me on any of it though. Since i've only used BRF some of this may not apply. So maybe listen to people who have used Seed

Q1. I saw in a tek that H2O2 can be used instead of water. Do you recommend it? It makes sense to me but I'm afraid it might affect the spores.

A1. I've heard alot of people using H202 as watter so i assume that it would not affect the spores because if it did it wouldnt be used, but i'm not 100% sure so maybe wait for another response.

Q2. How important is ventilation? Some have the holes covered with tape and some use tyvek or polyfil. I think I can get some "mineral cotton" - used in constrictions, probably the tyvek you talk about or some coffe filters. But I would like to keep things as simple as possible. I've got some silicon to cover the holes for good.

A2. I am currently on my first grow and I have my holes taped closed which is what i read in the tek i used. If this is incorrect please someone post and let me know.

Q3. If I seal the jars really good (with silicone in the holes and on the margins of the top) is there a chance the jars will break. I don't have a pressure cooker, so I can only boil them, which leads me to the next question.

A3. When boiling jars you are not supposed to tighten the lid all the way, you are supposed to have the jar loose so it can be sterilized.

Q4. How long should I boil them. As far as I know, it's 1h but I've seen some boil them longer and some more.

A4. It all depends on how sure you want to be you wont get contam, no matter how long you boil you are not guarenteed 100% success. I boiled mine for 1 hour in a pot on my stove.

Q5. I will use red millet. How much? I don't know. Quantities vary considerably here. What do you say, should I fill my jars half way up, 2/3 or up to the top?

Q6. Should I simmer them? Most don't reccommend this and I don't see what it's good for, but I just thought I'd ask. Last time I did simmer and I think that's a reason why the water got kinda white from the millet.

7. How much water should I put in? Some say 1/4 s much millet and some as much as 3/4. I think this deppends if I simmer them or not.

Q8. What is a "flow hood"?

A8. I do believe a flow hood is used to supply air circulation, but i am not big on terms, i'm new here myself.

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

#4715474 - 09/26/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

1. ive never heard of using straight h202 but mixing it in with your water is ok.

2. punch your 4 holes in for your inoculation points and punch 1 in the middle of your lid 1/4" in diamitor and fill it with pollyfill and silicone your 4 inoc holes. that way you will have self healing covers over your 4 holes

3. i would say sealing your jars compleatly shut is a bad idea..

4. i dont think boiling will work for sterilizing grain, ive heard it only works for PF cakes.

5. i dont see why you cant use straight millet, soak 24 hrs, simmer 1 hr, drain for atleast 30 min, or untill no water drops fall from bottom of strainer. that will give you the right moisture.

6. the whole soak, simmer, PC thing is for these reasons.. you soak for 24 hrs to get all the endo spors to germinate so when you PC they will all die. you simmer to get the right moistur content into your grains, and you PC to sterilize your grains.

7. im not sure what your asking.. in the end your jars should have enough space in them so you can shake them to distribute the mycilum.. about 1/2- 2/3.

8. a flow hood is basicly a fan that blows threw a hepa to creat a clean work space.. the air flowing over the workspace is clean filtered air..

well theres my answers to your questions hope there all right.. :P~ gl, l8r

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: HELP - list of questions [Re: Loriath]
    #4715480 - 09/26/05 04:40 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks people.

Unfortunately I can't make such investments right now as a pressure cooker. I'll probably have to think at another substrate rather than buy a pc. But why is just boilking them inappropriate for millet?

I've seen the jars must be just civered with some tinfoil, but that means air gets out during boilind and gets in after that. It frightens me sooo much.

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4725393 - 09/28/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I gave it more thought and I changed my mind. At first I wanted to do something very complicatred to ensure there will be no contam.

Now I think I will only prepare one jar. I will soak the millet in water and coffe for 24h, let it dry, simmer it for 30 min and then shortly after that fill a jar up to 2/3 with it. I will then completely seal the jar and then put it in an airtight bag and then into a tank with water and a heater in it.

Should I put water in the jar too or is it enoufg if I simmer the millet? I think about rinsing it with H2O2 after simmering.

What do you think about that? Will it work? I don't mind it taking a likttle bit longer to colonize, I'm paranoid about contams.

I have 3,5cc left. How much solution should I use?

I also have to mention I have no vermiculite and no pc. Instead of pc I will just boil the jar with the lid loose for an hour. I think I will boil it while being in the bag, with the lid loose and then just screw the lid on without opening the bag. What do yuou think?

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4732435 - 09/29/05 03:29 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, it's not a list anymore, it's one single question.
Anybody care to tell me if I'm in the wrong with this plan?

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4732489 - 09/29/05 03:45 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I've read the thread .

Here's a few things.

Hydrogen peroxide will kill spores. If it doesn't, why not use it to make syringes ? It won't kill mycelium. Most peeps use it in a 10:1 ratio with water(i use distilled) for dunking, misting, and filling cool mists.

If you want to use millet without a PC. You will have to fractionally sterilize , at least . Simmering the jar in a bag in water won't work, IMO.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

What were your first jars ? If they were grain and you sterilized by boiling once, I would say that's why you failed.

As far as your other questions, instead of reading the entire site, Miss Evenlyn Wood( not sure but aren't there a couple hundred thousand posts), try using the search function for specific things,lol, it will get you the answers you're after. You can get lost just reading,lol. There is sooo much.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: HELP - list of questions [Re: HippieChick]
    #4732636 - 09/29/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

1. i wouldnt recommend h202, from what ive seen from the vets here - they dont use it.

2. why not use polyfill again?

3. dont cover the holes at all permantly, only during the sterlization stage should you cover the tops of the jars with a piece of aluminum foil.

4. I boil for 1 hour. No problems during colonization yet.

5. Dont know how to answer this question, but i use 2/3 vermiculite to 1/4 cup of BRF and 1/4 cup of h20.

6. Dont know.

7. Refrain to me answering number 5.

8. Dont know.

Damn feels like a fucking high school test.

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate