Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblasphemer
Stranger
questions about identifying liberty caps
    #4714220 - 09/26/05 02:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i have several questions concerning identification of liberty caps.
i live in moscow, russia, and, from what i have read and heard, the only type of psychedelic mushrooms in the moscow countryside that are widespread are p.semilanceata and pelliculosa. i went out hunting about 2 weeks ago. i know libs grow in fields and others open areas, but is it possible, that they can be found in other places as well.

i found about 30 "liberty cap-looking" shrooms in an old dried up swamp. there was no water there, but the ground was VERY soft and covered with the most gentle light green moss. in this moss many shrooms were growing and i came upon some that fit the description of libs almost perfectly. i know that not all liberty caps are the same. much depends on where you find them, what plants grow nearby, the soil quality and type, the weather, time of year, climate, anything can alter their appearance slightly. the ones i found were a little darker than the pictures of them i have seen on various websites. this was my first hunt and of course i wasnt going to risk eating them right away. i dont know any shroom hunters, so my only guides were the internet, some books and my intuition.

i couldnt take a picture of them, since i didnt have a digital camera with me and the camera on my cell phone didnt produce images of a high enough quality to actually show any detail. but i took them home, searched through a number of sites until i was convinced that i had indeed found liberty caps. i decided to wait until the next day to consume them.

the next evening i had a very light meal and decided to try them. i noticed that the shrooms changed color after lying around wrapped in a napkin for about a day. they became lighter brown in color and now resemled real liberty caps. i only ate about 15 of them, maybe a little more, some were very tiny, so i counted these for 2 or 3 whole shrooms. i really expected to vomit and die the next day of liver failure, since i had broken the first rule of shroom hunting, but i said fuck it and ate them anyway.

i knew about some initial effects of shrooms (yawning, slight cold feeling, a feeling that "something" is about to happen, etc). i knew that placebo could cause this, because indeed i was feeling this, without being 100% sure i had taken magic mushrooms. i was watching football on tv, listening to some music, smoking cigs, doing normal shit. i knew something was different, but i thought it was placebo. this went on for about 1h45 mins. nothing changed, but i didnt expect anything new to happen, but then i looked in the mirror--my pupils were very big! it freaked me out a bit because i never took any psychedelics before, but then i was convinced i ate the right shrooms. so now to my first question: can placebo cause such effects? because after i ate the rest of the shrooms (about 15 more), i thought i would trip, but it was late at night and i went to bed. nothing really happened that night, my dreams were normal and i woke up the next morning feeling normal. did i sleep through my trip? or was there no trip and was it all placebo?'

so that was my first expreirence, if you want to call it that.

the next week i went back to the dry swamp place. i found another 20 of those shrooms from 2 weeks ago, and...about 30 other new shrooms that i hadnt seen there before that, also, looked 100% like libs, but were very different from those shrooms that i ate 2 wks ago. i gatherd both types. again, from searching online i was convinced that these were libs. i havent taken them yet, they're still with me. these were differnt from the first shrooms beccause these were a light light brown almost beige in color and much smaller. (cap -- 1.5 - 2.0 wide cm, no more, about the same height, stem about 10 cm height and beige near the cap and more brown, almost orange at the bottom) the first shrooms had 2.5 cm cap and were taller and firmer and the caps were dark brown and the stem was a little lighter shade of brown. the new ones were dry ( it didnt rain that week).

if i had found these two types of shrooms in a field or grassy area i woulndt be asking for help. but these grew in an old dried up swamp. are these psiloscybes at all? and were those effects i felt caused by placebo? and is it possible for 2 different looking liberty caps to grow close by?

p.s. they do look like liberty caps, 100%, but they werent growing in a field. thats the problem.
any help appreciated, thanks.

Edited by blasphemer (09/26/05 03:04 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblasphemer
Stranger
Re: questions about identifying liberty caps [Re: blasphemer]
    #4714541 - 09/26/05 03:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

here are some pics (sorry, quality is poor)

the first type (the ones i ate):

the second type ( im starting to doubt these are psi's. i just took these pics, they changed a bit)

OfflineMr_Psilocin
finding moreactives thanever
 User Gallery

#4714542 - 09/26/05 03:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

uhh...you really shouldn't have eaten them if you weren't 100% sure but anyways I don't think they were libs because liberty caps grow in well fertilized lawns and in cow pastures near cow dung,because you said they were growing in a swamp it makes me wonder if they really were semilanceata's at all..how would vegan dung(cow shit,horse shit,sheep shit etc.) get into a swamp area?
Here's what you need to know about liberty caps:

1. as you can see  here: [url=http://knarkkorven.magiskamolekyler.org/svampinfo/toppisfoton/vastragotaland/top6.jpg[/url]]http://knarkkorven.magiskamolekyler.org/svampinfo/toppisfoton/vastragotaland/top6.jpg[/url][/url]  they are very small in size

2.They are very elastic and flexible for example,you can wrap them around you're finger without tearing or ripping them.

3.When they're wet they have a slimy film over they're caps which is..slimy,and are brown,as they dry out they slimy film disappears and they get there white color as in this pic.

Here are some great pictures of them

4.You should NEVER FORGET to make a spore-print then this is THE thing that usually differs a lot of mushrooms from the semilanceata because if they look like a semi and have the same spore-print then they are most likely a semi!
The spore-print procedure goes as so:
Separate the cap from the stem with a knife then place the cap with gills facing down on a white piece of paper.
Wet the cap a little bit and put a glass over it so that the spores can't get carried away from the wind.
The spore-print color for the semilanceata is DARK PURPLE BROWN

Here are some more identification facts about it from mj :thumbup:

--------------------
"I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale, and never tried it again." Bill Clinton

"A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly fifteen hundred pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response... In strict medical terms, marijuana is far safer than many of the foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death."

DEA Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young
Opinion and Recommended Ruling, Findings of Fact,

http://www.hempfiles.com/php/quotes.php

OfflineDrunkenAttempt
Chemically Inclined
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nova Scotia, CANADA
Re: questions about identifying liberty caps [Re: Mr_Psilocin]
    #4715402 - 09/26/05 06:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Cap

shape: bell shaped
width: 1 inch(2.5 cm)
color: pale brown(tan) staining brown
flesh: fragile-thin, color is white-pallid
Surface: smoothed, sticky if wet

Stalk

central; solid; equal
width: .25 in or less
length: 3-5 inches
surface: smooth
flesh: tough

Gills

adnate and close
color:white-pallid, becoming dark brown

Habitat: gregarious in grassy areas
Spore Print: dark brown

--------------------

Nature is my God, Science is my religion.

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: questions about identifying liberty caps [Re: DrunkenAttempt]
    #4715570 - 09/26/05 06:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

not libs, psilocybe semiglobata or simmilar

--------------------

Offlineblasphemer
Stranger
Re: questions about identifying liberty caps [Re: Mitchnast]
    #4718634 - 09/27/05 06:22 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

it seems i have found what species they are.
the first type is psilocybe atrobrunnea. it is found in damp boggy places and grown on sphangum moss, which is exactly where i found it.

the second type would have to be psilocybe paupera. it grows in the same places as atrobrunnea and often they are found near each other.

the book where i got this information doesnt give much info about the hallucinogenic potency of these species. but i guess theyre much weaker than liberty caps, since they're not that well known.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4720449 - 09/27/05 04:54 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

don't ever (again) eat unidentified mushrooms.. :shake:

Offlinelibertycap fan
mushroom man
Male User Gallery
    #9172046 - 11/02/08 01:41 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

ok wut enyone says thos are liberty caps a little sun burnt but fine iv picking libs all seasen iv got about a half pound i got some pics on my profile of my 2 days picking thos are libs!!!!

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #9172581 - 11/02/08 03:54 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Let's not wake the dead.  This thread is from 2005.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification