Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
A UFO puzzle
    #4712997 - 09/26/05 08:08 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

here is a puzzle i devised to test and sharpen your critical thinking skills. There is one logical answer to the puzzle, which will be revealed once either someone guesses it, or 20 people guess wrong, or enough time passes that i decide that nobody will get it...

Ok here's the puzzle:

You are the sherriff of a small town in the desert. The nearest other town is several miles away, and the population is around 400. you have known the people in this town all your life, and they are an honest and hard working bunch. As a result, your sherriffs office is not very busy.

One friday night, three calls come in. The first is from someone on the west side of town, MR W. Mr W reports that he has seen a flying craft, one that moved incredibly fast, stopped on a dime, and performed aerial maneuvers before setting down on the east end of town.

The second call comes from the north end of town, from Ms. N. Ms N reports she has seen a fast moving flying craft, that hovered in the air, did aerial acrobatics, and set down on the east end of town.
You happen to be an aerospace engineer in your spare time, with top secret military clearance, and you know that no known craft in the world can perform the maneuvers that these three people have described.

the third call comes in two hours later, from the east end of town, from Mrs. E... You have known Mrs. E for all your life, she is a good church going woman, active in community affairs, and one of the town's trusted elders.

Mrs. E claims that a craft landed in her front yard, and that alien beings took her into the craft, and applied an apparattus to her chest. She states that she blacked out during the examiination, and woke up in her living room, with a circular red mark on her chest.

You decide to call in all three for an interview.

You interview the victim first. you give Mrs. E a pen and paper, and tell her to draw what she saw. She draws a picture of a spacecraft, and a picture of an alien being. You look at her chest, and you see a circular red mark.

After that, Ms. N comes in. You give her a pen and paper, and she draws a spacecraft that is highly detailed, and identical to the spacecraft that Mrs. N draws. You have Mrs. E in the other room, so you know that they have not compared notes.

After that, mr W comes in. you give him a pen and paper, and he draws a very detailed picture of a spacecraft, that is identical to the other two drawings. You have Ms. N and Mrs. E in the other room, so you know that neither compared notes with Mr W.

You thank them all, and send them home.

The question i ask you to answer is, what is the only logical conclusion that you can reach in this situation?

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJalruza
Boot Lover
Male User Gallery

Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4713057 - 09/26/05 09:21 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Ummm the first conclusion, i would love to live in a small town somewhere southern and humid, preferable near the ocean, with a tight community.

And if any UFOs wish to visit us at any given time, then suit yourselves ETs.

Boy i love those country western stories, you got any more? :smile:

--------------------
Time keeps ticking and running away
And It's taking us fast to a brand new free dimension
Too cool to mention well that's the intention
But some of us too dame blind to see
Jesus is the King Volume I
Jesus is the King Volume II
Shroomery MSN club
I'm talking to aliens!
Volcano Vap and Brain Chakras
Hilary Duff!!
:gethigh:

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: Jalruza]
    #4713470 - 09/26/05 12:16 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

well... I suppose the obvious answer is that this is a bona fide Alien abduction...

but after carefully examining all of the facts and testing them with logic, it has to be a weather balloon!

OfflineMJF
Human Being
 User Gallery

Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees...
Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: dr0mni]
    #4713513 - 09/26/05 12:26 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

or they are mushroom eaters and conspired together a long time ago to trick their small town into believing that aliens did indeed visit them.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4713518 - 09/26/05 12:28 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

The only conclusion is, that they spoke before with each other, to present you with a community-lie.
Else, more (independent) people should have seen something, especially if the craft landed in her garden...
3 out of 400 is a very small percentage for something that strange (less then 1 percent, which is statistically not signifficant).

(Just my guess)

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinedrtyfrnk
PresidentialCandidate 2008
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4713883 - 09/26/05 01:50 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Telepathy

--------------------
It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: drtyfrnk]
    #4713969 - 09/26/05 02:03 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

"You happen to be an aerospace engineer in your spare time, with top secret military clearance, and you know that no known craft in the world can perform the maneuvers that these three people have described."

thats where you lost me. top secret military clearance is usually given in the form of SCI to anyone that doesnt stay in the military for life.. that means you never ever know everything about anything. only bits and pieces.

--------------------
music: myspace.com/soundscientists
I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf.

No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinedrtyfrnk
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: kotik]
    #4714167 - 09/26/05 02:46 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

maybe the town was made for alien abductions by the Government!

Seriously.

*cough*roswell*cough*

--------------------

Edited by drtyfrnk (09/26/05 03:08 PM)

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
    #4714343 - 09/26/05 03:15 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Wouldn't the craft look different to the two people that saw it flying fast than it would to the Lady whose front yard it landed in? I mean it hovered, but it was still in the air and the third ladies view was from the ground.

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

Offlinedrtyfrnk
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: VirgilKane]
    #4714407 - 09/26/05 03:26 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Good call schrapper, I'll take his answer for 100 alex.

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: dr0mni]
    #4714721 - 09/26/05 04:15 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

dr0mni said:
well... I suppose the obvious answer is that this is a bona fide Alien abduction...

but after carefully examining all of the facts and testing them with logic, it has to be a weather balloon!

:thumbup: :rotfl:

Bluecoyote I disagree. :evil:

The people here have never lied before.  In fact, they are consistantly honest members of the community, as the sheriff knows.

What are the odds of such people, ALL 3 of them, wanting to conspire to lie to their community, without motive, about aliens and without one of them spilling the beans?

--------------------

OfflineMJF
Human Being
 User Gallery

Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees...
Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: Ego Death]
    #4714772 - 09/26/05 04:23 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

people are people...and i don't believe there is a single person who has never lied. conspiring is fun.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4714860 - 09/26/05 04:39 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

MikeOLogical said:
here is a puzzle i devised to test and sharpen your critical thinking skills. There is one logical answer to the puzzle, which will be revealed once either someone guesses it, or 20 people guess wrong, or enough time passes that i decide that nobody will get it...

Ok here's the puzzle:

You are the sherriff of a small town in the desert. The nearest other town is several miles away, and the population is around 400. you have known the people in this town all your life, and they are an honest and hard working bunch. As a result, your sherriffs office is not very busy.

One friday night, three calls come in. The first is from someone on the west side of town, MR W. Mr W reports that he has seen a flying craft, one that moved incredibly fast, stopped on a dime, and performed aerial maneuvers before setting down on the east end of town.

The second call comes from the north end of town, from Ms. N. Ms N reports she has seen a fast moving flying craft, that hovered in the air, did aerial acrobatics, and set down on the east end of town.
You happen to be an aerospace engineer in your spare time, with top secret military clearance, and you know that no known craft in the world can perform the maneuvers that these three people have described.

the third call comes in two hours later, from the east end of town, from Mrs. E... You have known Mrs. E for all your life, she is a good church going woman, active in community affairs, and one of the town's trusted elders.

Mrs. E claims that a craft landed in her front yard, and that alien beings took her into the craft, and applied an apparattus to her chest. She states that she blacked out during the examiination, and woke up in her living room, with a circular red mark on her chest.

You decide to call in all three for an interview.

You interview the victim first. you give Mrs. E a pen and paper, and tell her to draw what she saw. She draws a picture of a spacecraft, and a picture of an alien being. You look at her chest, and you see a circular red mark.

After that, Ms. N comes in. You give her a pen and paper, and she draws a spacecraft that is highly detailed, and identical to the spacecraft that Mrs. N draws. You have Mrs. E in the other room, so you know that they have not compared notes.

After that, mr W comes in. you give him a pen and paper, and he draws a very detailed picture of a spacecraft, that is identical to the other two drawings. You have Ms. N and Mrs. E in the other room, so you know that neither compared notes with Mr W.

You thank them all, and send them home.

The question i ask you to answer is, what is the only logical conclusion that you can reach in this situation?

I never understood how can a 400 people settlement in Us be called a "town". What does it take for a settlement to be a willage? less than 10 people?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4714885 - 09/26/05 04:44 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Mrs. N? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlinedrtyfrnk
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: Gomp]
    #4714911 - 09/26/05 04:50 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

The answer is that this isn't possible.

It's an impossible scenario in this time.

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: MJF]
    #4714974 - 09/26/05 05:00 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Nor do I.

In this scenario its 3 people lieing, without any motive. With a history of honest character. Really thats all we have to judge characters on!

Then they'd pick alien abduction over werewolfs/elves or any other part of supposed mythology.

Whats the chances of all this? Highly unlikely in my opinion.

The logical conclusion is that from present knowledge it is most likely that they did all see a ship and Mrs * did see an entity.
Its reasonable to assume that the entity is more likely to be E.T than anything else as we know we exist in a universe most likely filled with inhabitable planets. Were here on Earth, so it could be done elsewhere.

Imagination can be ruled out as there are multiple witnesses and marks on the womans chest and deception is unlikely.

Of course, it takes theory, not logic to make any further assumption.

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

#4714987 - 09/26/05 05:03 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Thats a speculation thus an invalid answer.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Re: A UFO puzzle [Re: MJF]
    #4715433 - 09/26/05 06:33 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

MJF said:
or they are mushroom eaters and conspired together a long time ago to trick their small town into believing that aliens did indeed visit them.

bingo

--------------------
We got Nothing!

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

#4715459 - 09/26/05 06:36 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

They were trying to get him to the east end of town, so they could spring a surprise birthday party on him, and playing a prank on him.

--------------------
We got Nothing!

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

#4715477 - 09/26/05 06:39 PM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Those who concluded that this must be a bona fide alien abduction, may be suffering from true believer syndrome... these people are the most vocal proponents of the UFO mythos...

there is no other answer, so it must be aliens from space who use telepathy and technology impossible to us!

it just as logical to assume the aliens are jesus.

--------------------
We got Nothing!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Compare CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology