Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
My Friend
    #4711857 - 09/25/05 09:46 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

How do you tell the difference between someone who has gone insane, and an idiot? It's a hard question to answer indeed.

My friend is a budding director who spent the past few years of his life making an interesting thriller movie. This is his first movie, and he got hundreds of thousands of dollars or more to make it; his entire life has been put into it. I've always suspected he had the potential to be great, as he has an artist's mind. As for the movie, it was almost completely finished; a little more editing and it would've been the completed product. He had already sent it out to many movie festivals, like SunDance, Toronto, etc.

Then a couple months ago he came over my house. Normally, he's a very logical person, but suddenly he had become a vegetarian and started believing in God. He said he became a vegetarian because he was driving along and saw a deer in the road that had just been hit, and died as he drove past it. He put a lot of faith into coincidences, and I just assumed he had become more faith-based, but still sane.

Apparently, I may have been wrong. He lives in a computer lab that his dad rents out, and one day he decided he wanted to hike to a nearby state park (20 minute drive) and camp there, without telling anyone. So to his family and friends, he just disappeared, and they thought he had gotten killed or such until he showed back up. But this is nothing compared to what he did next.

The God shit became more and more prevalent in his life, and he suddenly began to see everything as a sign from God. So one day, he met this girl in high school, and he says God told him to legally sign over the fucking rights to the movie! To clarify, this is an actual movie, not some shitty, shaky tourist's adventure; he had an entire cast of actors, along with producers and the whole deal, who he signed a contract with saying that if the movie made money, he would give them their share. But instead, he signed the movie off to a high school girl who can do absolutely nothing with it, and moved out to Montana to become "one with God" and live with some weird spiritual teacher he's never met. I don't even have the details on whether this is a cult or what, but I think he's flipped a nut.

You never really can tell with people, eh? I don't know whether he's insane or having a mental breakdown or what, but he's really fucked shit up for everyone who put anything into the movie.

There's a lot of faith-based people around here who believe in God, aliens and the whole deal, so what do you guys think? Is this natural for someone to do, and should anyone even be worrying about him?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFL_accciD
Jack's Paranoia
Male

Loc: midwest
Re: My Friend [Re: Ravus]
    #4711872 - 09/25/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

by my logic that is insanity..

but it tends to be in the eye of the beholder

--------------------
- - - T H E E N D - - -

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4711873 - 09/25/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
How do you tell the difference between someone who has gone insane, and an idiot?

but suddenly he had become a vegetarian

He's insane.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: My Friend [Re: FL_accciD]
    #4711884 - 09/25/05 09:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FL_accciD said:
by my logic that is insanity..

but it tends to be in the eye of the beholder

Same. I had no doubt in my mind that to go from a logical atheist into someone who would sign off their work for the past few years and became a God-freak requires either insanity or a complete mental breakdown.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep Elem
    #4711898 - 09/25/05 09:54 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like this guy has serious mental problems. He may be manic depressive. Therapy and/or drugs might be his only option if he wants to get better. His behavior is far from normal. I know because I've known people who have displayed similar symptoms.

--------------------

Goin' where the water tastes like wine.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: My Friend [Re: kosmic_charlie]
    #4711915 - 09/25/05 09:57 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

For some reason, I don't think he wants to get better. He thinks it's a message from God, and it's hard for mere humans, like his family and friends, to tell him otherwise.

--------------------

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
    #4711916 - 09/25/05 09:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It doesn't sound logical, in any sense. What the hell? Does he have exclusive rights to this flick, or does it have more than one person with power of attorney on it? That's just insane, me thinks.

--------------------

:murray:

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
    #4711924 - 09/25/05 09:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

seen it all before...you should go talk to his parents if you know them well... cause hes an adult and cant be forced to take meds or see a psych.. but if he has gone totally loco, his parents can commit him so he can get some help

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

OfflinePS_Cubes
Searching...
 User Gallery

Loc: ...for LSD
Re: My Friend [Re: kosmic_charlie]
    #4711940 - 09/25/05 10:02 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

He should have been sifted out of the bunch through natural selection
along time ago.  Goddamn technology!  :mrt:

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: My Friend [Re: blissedout]
    #4711972 - 09/25/05 10:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

blissedout said:
It doesn't sound logical, in any sense. What the hell? Does he have exclusive rights to this flick, or does it have more than one person with power of attorney on it? That's just insane, me thinks.

I'm friends with the producer, and I was talking to her about this. They're most definitely going to try to get the rights from the movie back from the high school girl.

I don't even know if it's legal, seeing as she's a minor and all. I seriously have no clue what the fuck is up with this girl; no one even knows her, and I don't think he really knew her that well. He could've at least signed the rights over to the producer, but that wasn't God's will I'm guessing.

It sounds like a bad soap opera or something. :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #4712167 - 09/25/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

giving the movie away is a little insane, but the God part is perfectly normal IMO. I mean, maybe one day he just started thinking about the whole life, death, and what happens after, etc... He made the choice to become Christian, I see that as normal. Moving away to his spiritual teacher? I would do that too, to get away and clear my mind, but I guess you said you didnt know if it was a cult or what not.

I think he should be fine

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Edited by XUL (09/25/05 10:45 PM)

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: My Friend [Re: XUL]
    #4712191 - 09/25/05 10:47 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Artists need to do this I think, its part of the gig. He'll come back, kill the girl, get back the rights to the movie and continue with his career, but he'll be famous for it.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
    #4712203 - 09/25/05 10:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah the only real "insane" thing he did was sign the rights over to some random girl in high school. That's pretty funny. But hey, you never know, this could all be part of another movie he has in the works......

--------------------
I got a buddy with United Fruit, get ya started...

Trade List

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#4712251 - 09/25/05 11:00 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
giving the movie away is a little insane, but the God part is perfectly normal IMO. I mean, maybe one day he just started thinking about the whole life, death, and what happens after, etc... He made the choice to become Christian, I see that as normal. Moving away to his spiritual teacher? I would do that too, to get away and clear my mind, but I guess you said you didnt know if it was a cult or what not.

I think he should be fine

He probably will be fine, but in the meanwhile he's pissing off everyone who invested anything in him, along with disturbing his family.

I don't know if he's Christian though; he seems to follow his own idea of God. I'm sure they have such a personal relationship that he doesn't need Christianity as the middleman. Not to mention, before he left, he called up the producer and told her he was leaving to be "one with God".

Actually, now that I think about it, a couple months back he was talking to me about looking for hidden messages in the Bible. He said that there's too many random people and ages in there for the otherwise good writers, so there must be secret messages.  :crazy: I didn't even think about this really, as I thought he was talking about nothing at the time.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4712306 - 09/25/05 11:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

This guy is NUTS! :grin: Another one bites the dust. :wink: I think you created this guy out of thin air. :smirk:

Edited by Icelander (09/25/05 11:15 PM)

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4712488 - 09/25/05 11:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well since you identified it as christianity you now know it was a cult

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: My Friend [Re: Icelander]
    #4712510 - 09/25/05 11:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
This guy is NUTS! :grin: Another one bites the dust. :wink: I think you created this guy out of thin air. :smirk:

If I made up something, it would be a lot more interesting and offensive. Nevertheless, I'm not making him up; he's been a friend of mine ever since we were both wee lads.

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4712531 - 09/25/05 11:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

soon enough his passion for god will decay as your sig so eloquently puts it

Invisiblebrover
Stranger

#4712588 - 09/26/05 12:16 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

sounds like schizophrenia

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4712828 - 09/26/05 02:22 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Well.. you're only crazy if someone says your crazy. same with sanity. Whether you actually are insane or not is difficult to tell. With this guy I dont know, I'd have to know him. But maybe things will turn out for the best, who knows... only time will tell. Best wishes though.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale