Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Cacti
    #4684965 - 09/20/05 12:33 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hey- This is going to be a thread wherein I will post pictures of my cacti collection. Tonight, or rather this morning, I will start with my one and only Lophophora Williamsii specimen. I obtained him in a trade with Funguy. I can definitely feel a special something around this plant. :smile:
I will post more pics tommorrow.  :cool:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Cacti [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4684969 - 09/20/05 12:36 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

he looks lonely

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Cacti [Re: faslimy]
    #4685026 - 09/20/05 01:06 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, you're right, he looks lonely. But he's not. I visit him daily, and he's always around lots of other plants. It just might be a while before he gets to hang out with fellow Lopho's.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

#4685058 - 09/20/05 01:24 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, I guess it's already tomorrow. So here's my two most recent acquisitions. I've had them about 3 months (maybe the Torch about 4 months). The Torch is doing pretty good, but the Pedro has pretty skinny arms. I think maybe I should have put it in a bigger pot, because it's trying to support three growing arms. I've thought of cutting the very top of the two pups and grafting a pair of lopho seedlings onto them. Sounds cool, huh?
And here's my very first Trich. Got it last October. You can see from it's growth that I'm still learning what it wants as far as light and food go. I was afraid of sunburning all three of my trichs, so I probably took too much time in adjusting them to sunlight. It's all good, I am learning first hand and I will take that knowledge and apply it to next year's cacti growing. I'll probably plant at least one Trich in rich garden soil to see how it responds.
More pics to come, later, cuz I got a few more cacti to show you.

--------------------
my cactus collection

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

#4687082 - 09/20/05 05:56 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

More pictures! This is my newest trich, I almost forgot him. I've had him about a month, and after potting him up left him in the corner to show some signs of life. Well, here is an emerging pup! Sorry for the blurry pic, but you get the idea. :smile:
Here is a picture of my Odd Pod a close friend gave me as a gift. It came with some cactus seeds, but I can't find the sheet of paper that tells me what they were. This is about 14 months after planting, they are like bonsai cactus. Very little root space, plus lots of neglect from me. :frown: But in my next post I will show the updated pictures after I transplanted all these cacti to new pots, and you can tell they are happy now. :smile: I cleaned out the Odd Pod, because I am planning to plant Lophophora in there, I think that would be awesome!
Peace!
:thumbup:

--------------------
my cactus collection

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #4687829 - 09/20/05 08:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I can't claim to have any experience with L. williamsii, but would that "odd pod" work for them? I mean, they grow roots shaped like a carrot, which would need a bit more space... or were you just going to seed them from it and transplant?

I of course envy you tremendously, myself I have no idea where to get L. williamsii, thanks to the opressive local law  :frown:

The trichos look quite nice, slightly greener than mine... and growing nicely. Of course, I nearly killed two of mine... they're callousing over in my closet after I surgically removed the rotten portions. Maybe I'll just eat them, who knows.

Are you growing these for potency? or are they merely a collector's ordeal? Either way I'd say they;re looking good!

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Cacti [Re: Konnrade]
    #4687901 - 09/20/05 09:00 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I don't intend on keeping the Lophophora in the odd pod for longer than a year. It's just a cute little base that also came with a greenhouse, and it works well for cactus seedlings. After a year I will transplant the Loph's to larger pots (at least the ones that I haven't already grafted).
The odd pod is almost a novelty, as the root space is severly limited and stunts the growth of whatever is in it. Like a bonsai. :smile:
Oh and thanks, I'm still learning how to grow these awesome plants, but so far I'm pleased. At this point I'm just growing for aesthetic purposes, but I have plans for future traditions. :smile:
I cant wait, next year it's really gonna be on. :rocket:

--------------------
my cactus collection

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: More Cacti [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4692092 - 09/21/05 08:07 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, another installment of ToolTroll's cacti collection. I showed you the odd pod with an unidentified cacti in it. Here are the cactus after a few weeks out of the pod. All survived but two. Here is the largest and most robust one.
Speaking of unknowns, this is a succulent. I have maybe 6 or 7 all from the same seed batch, which was a mix of succulents (97 cents from Parks Seeds). :crazy: But I like the look of them. :smile:
Also a succulent is this aloe plant. It's been through a lot, but it's still truckin. I'm hoping it will start popping out plantlets sometime, cuz I like this plant too.
Tomorrow, tune in for Trich seedlings and a special surprise!

--------------------
my cactus collection

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Cacti Pictures... [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4697286 - 09/22/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Today we start with an overview of how I am starting my Trichocereus seeds. First I put some cactus soil with a little extra sand and perlite and fill a juice jug lid. This is just a white plastic lid. I wet the soil and microwave for a couple minutes. Let it cool, sprinkle some seeds on top and then a little more sand. This goes into the little dome. I don't know what this thing is, what it's original intention is, but it's got the cool 70's theme to it. :smile: I place this in moderate indirect light at room temp. The seeds usually come up within a week or two, and it stays in indirect light. Then after about 2 or 3 weeks I introduce the dome to my 4 foot shop light. And when I need the dome to start a new batch, I put that lid in the big dome, made out of a CD spindle.
So far this method has worked pretty well.  I feel like my seedlings are sometimes too brown/red, not sure if this is due to light factors or maybe underwatering? I also tried a few San Pedro seedlings in a clay pot, which usually has a plastic baggie over it as a little humidity tent. This dries out faster than the domes though,  and I probably won't do this again, just save the clay pots for the yearlings, come transplant time.
Here are the juice lids I have going, besides the one in the dome above, which is Bridgesii and only about 3 or 4 weeks old. This is also Bridgesii, and is about 5 months old. This is Pachanoi, and is about 4 months old.

And now for the surprise. This is Trichocereus Peruvianus, Peruvian Torch. A little over 6 months old, it was the first batch of Trich seeds I planted. You can see the far right one has what appears to be a pup?!?!?! I'm not very experienced with these cactus, though I've read alot, and I surmise it's either a pup or the beginning of a cristate. Is this correct? Here's another pic. Not sure exactly what it is, but it's exciting!
Anyway, that is my cacti collection. Thanks for looking and feel free to comment, criticize, compliment, etc.
Oh and thanks to The Shroomery and The Ethno Garden for the information and knowledge that helped me grow these lovely plants.  Knowledge is power!!!!! :rocket:

--------------------
my cactus collection

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

Re: Cacti Pictures... [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4697300 - 09/22/05 08:26 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Those little trichs are so cute. Looks like a family portrait.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Cacti Pictures... [Re: ninjapixie]
    #4711116 - 09/25/05 06:40 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, y'all. Just looking for some opinions on those last two pictures, of the Peruvian Torch seedling that has a pup or something. Anyone experience this in a 6 month old cactus?

--------------------
my cactus collection

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #4711338 - 09/25/05 07:50 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Your little lopho would be much better off in a smaller pot. The reason is because you want your soil to dry as fast as possible. The soil in that pot will stay moist much too long for such a lil dude, and this could cause root rot problems. I recommend that you put it in a standard 2.25" clay pot.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Cacti [Re: Psychoslut]
    #4711769 - 09/25/05 09:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, after a little research I realized that that's probably what faslimy meant when he said it looks lonely. As in that pot is big enough for 3 or 4 lopho's. :smile: Thanks for the advice, it wouldn't bother it to dig it up after just a few weeks in soil? I just want it to be happy. That's all I want...

--------------------
my cactus collection

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #4711790 - 09/25/05 09:33 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Just be gentle with it, and it will be fine. Is the sand in the pic just a top layer, or is it planted in strait sand?

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Cacti [Re: Psychoslut]
    #4717039 - 09/26/05 09:16 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

That's just a top dressing of sand, it's actually planted in a very well draining mix of commercial cactus soil, perlite and sand. I think as long as I don't water it very much at all it should be okay.

--------------------
my cactus collection

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4717169 - 09/26/05 09:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

pups on seedlings aren't particularly special, I have one 4 month old with around 5 pups which will probably end up in the bin :shrug:

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Cacti [Re: faslimy]
    #4721965 - 09/27/05 07:33 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

What is the ben?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds