Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineexodus454
Stranger
Cobweb has been confirmed, unfortunantly..
    #4709353 - 09/25/05 11:00 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I had speculated all 10 of my cakes had been hit by cobweb. Today I took one of them out of the jar, and sure enough, it was quite moldy (and i got a nice cloud of spores when i pulled the jar off too..)

Now, the contam FAQ says cobweb is caused by excess humidity. To prevent having this happen again, what can I do? Use less water in my substrate mix? (i followed the PF tek guide.. 1/2cup verm, 1/4cup brown rice flower, 1/4cup water)

Another thing I found odd was that the mold only grew on the mycelium where it had been inoculated (i missed a hole or two by accident). The holes that werent innculated had nothing growing. Is this the way mold functions, or do I have a contaminated spore syringe?

Any help would be great! Hopefully I can utilize the remaining 2cc's of spore solution I have left and get some kind of harvest..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Cobweb has been confirmed, unfortunantly.. [Re: exodus454]
    #4709357 - 09/25/05 11:01 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You sure it was cobweb? If it is, tomorrow or two days from now it should be covering a LOT of the jar.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

Offlineexodus454
Stranger
Re: Cobweb has been confirmed, unfortunantly.. [Re: Ramuh]
    #4709362 - 09/25/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm sure, two days ago there were dime size areas of grey, today 3/4 of the whole jar is covered in fuzzy grey stuff.

They smell kinda funky too.

Edited by exodus454 (09/25/05 11:10 AM)

InvisibleQbanMoJo
Mr. Brightside

Loc: OutSide
    #4709445 - 09/25/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

hope u didnt pop that lid indoors. if u ever encounter any other type of mold and want to re-use the jar make sure to take precautions as it may cost u your life. no but seriously. :stoned:

Invisibleshroomr4life
Re: Cobweb has been confirmed, unfortunantly.. [Re: QbanMoJo]
    #4709625 - 09/25/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

sorry to hear about that. Best of luck on ur next attempt

Offlineexodus454
Stranger
Re: Cobweb has been confirmed, unfortunantly.. [Re: shroomr4life]
    #4709643 - 09/25/05 12:17 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Is there anything I can do to prevent the mold?

Or.. is me best bet just to be as clean as possible and hope it works?

OfflineRazman
Stranger

#4709805 - 09/25/05 12:54 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

your story matches mine .. EXACTLY.. and with 10 jars too.. BRF + vermiculite...and yeah be careful of the shit that poofs out when you dump them.. i had a wiff of that shit and im still worrying if it has something to do with how sick i am lately (im on antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection, worst ive ever had in my life)..

i really couldnt figure out what went wrong.. i too noticed the mold would grow from it's inoculation points.. maybe the spores fuel their growth somehow?

I did everything right.. i pressure cooked for 45 mins at 15psi, i sprayed the entire kitchen down in lysol, including the walls, floor and ceiling.. i sterilized the needle, i wore a face mask...

a week ago i tried again, and im having GREAT success. Theres brilliantly white mycellium growing in my jars.. theres only a couple things that were different than my last try, so i cant give you an answer, but maybe it will help you out:

I pressure cooked alot longer. instead of 45 mins i did it for an Hour and a half... I was scared they would crack but i kept an eye on the steam coming out so i knew the 1 inch of water didnt dry out..

i actually ended up stopping it at an hour and 25 mins... because the sound changed.. and no steam was coming out.. sure enough i opened it up and the water was all gone.. my jars weren't cracked, and i had no doubt in my mind that everything in those jars was absolutely sterile..

another thing.. MAKE SURE theres absolutely no moisture in the dry layer of vermiculite that you put on top! The dry vermiculite filtures out contams.. I oven heated my vermiculite to ensure it was absolutely BONE DRY. I guessed that any moisture can act like a transportation system for contams..

My syringe from last time was also old.. it was sitting the fridge for about 3 and a half months.. I dont know if this is a problem, but this last syringe i had just bought the day before..

Offlineexodus454
Stranger
Re: Cobweb has been confirmed, unfortunantly.. [Re: Razman]
    #4710059 - 09/25/05 01:54 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

interesting, thanks for sharing.

I guess i'll just have another go at it, be as clean as I can..

One thing I noticed that I did wrong was when steaming the jars, i let it boil too hard and the water started bubbling up above the jars. Now if you look at the jars where the mold is, theres a bunch of water droplets. Cobweb is said to be caused by excess humidity, so I think the water content of my mix got altered. Bitches.

I also didnt crack the lids on the jars when steaming, or recover the inoculation holes after I impregnated 'em..

I guess I made a mistake or two :frown:

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
    #4710097 - 09/25/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

In a correctly prepared jar, bad mold can only be introduced when you inoculate. Of course, if you are sticking a pole into nutrients, whatever bad molds that are outside are going to enter where you made the hole - and if they are attached to the syringe, they are going to go right where you inoculated...hence the origin or focal point of the contamination. Also a syringe could be bad, shooting contamns directly to the point of inoculation.

So basically the reason why contamns start at the point of inoculation is because thats where they were introduced, have resided the longest, and have had the most time to make their presence known.

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Invisibleshroomr4life
Re: Cobweb has been confirmed, unfortunantly.. [Re: ADoobie]
    #4710439 - 09/25/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yup, sorry to hear about that but dont give up. better luck on the next attempt.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate