Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
Stopping the inner monologue.
    #4709393 - 09/25/05 01:15 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Do you have any good techniques to stop the inner monologue? How far have you gone? Are you silent observer most of the time?

Some days I gently keep moving focus back to breath quite often, but other days is hard. It's like working out, exercising the let go muscle. Most often I lack mindfulness, or there is some resistance tricking me into not doing what I know is right, to observe.

Its easy to get the feeling that I'm one of the few in here who are still stuck in mindless chatter. It seems so ridiculously easy to eradicate, yet I don't.  :grin:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: dorkus]
    #4709400 - 09/25/05 01:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

"you can not hear, where you are not listening.."
-Unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4709408 - 09/25/05 01:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I doubt any of us here do not spend the majority of our time in mental chatter.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (09/25/05 01:22 PM)

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4709421 - 09/25/05 01:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Why stop the inner monologue? My inner monologue often debates my own viewpoints, trying to point out the weaknesses and flaws and thereby allowing me to strengthen them. I don't think losing the inner voice for improvement would help much, but each to his own.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: Icelander]
    #4709423 - 09/25/05 01:30 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

"{Y}our doubt, is doubtfully full."
-unknown :P

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4709550 - 09/25/05 02:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

let the details and the chatter flow or echo what ever

take in the big picture all at once.

no comments on that are required, but any chatter oriented to that process is welcome, and its echoes are welcoming for next time.

the only problems are when you have scorn for your own efforts, and this dissappears when you take in the big picture all at once

OfflineMJF
Human Being
 User Gallery

Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees...
    #4709556 - 09/25/05 02:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Reading, listening to music, talking to someone, or watching a movie all help me.

OfflineDeviate
Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: MJF]
    #4709769 - 09/25/05 02:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

listen to the wind, crickets, birds, sounds of nature. watch the way leaves move in the breeze. be still and silent.

"Why stop the inner monologue? My inner monologue often debates my own viewpoints, trying to point out the weaknesses and flaws and thereby allowing me to strengthen them. I don't think losing the inner voice for improvement would help much, but each to his own. "

have you spent a considerable amount of time living without the inner monologue that you know there is no benefit? without the inner mologue your mind is free from distraction, when your mind is free from distraction you begin to notice things you used to overlook. this is a powerful tool for strengthening your views because it can actually provide you with new information.

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
 User Gallery
Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: Deviate]
    #4710352 - 09/25/05 05:09 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you all for clarifying. People here are an amazing inspiration to keep on keeping on. :heart:

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: Deviate]
    #4711139 - 09/25/05 08:46 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Deviate said:
listen to the wind, crickets, birds, sounds of nature. watch the way leaves move in the breeze. be still and silent.

"Why stop the inner monologue? My inner monologue often debates my own viewpoints, trying to point out the weaknesses and flaws and thereby allowing me to strengthen them. I don't think losing the inner voice for improvement would help much, but each to his own. "

have you spent a considerable amount of time living without the inner monologue that you know there is no benefit? without the inner mologue your mind is free from distraction, when your mind is free from distraction you begin to notice things you used to overlook. this is a powerful tool for strengthening your views because it can actually provide you with new information.

yes, to stop thinking in words doesn't require you to stop thinking all together. I find that when i put effort into not translating my thoughts into mentally audible format, that i actually think faster. Thoughts are instantaneous. A whole novel can be concieved in an instant, but turning it into words can take a lifetime.

But I am only able to stop the chatter during meditation, and I couldn't really tell you how to do that.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: dr0mni]
    #4711218 - 09/25/05 09:15 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

these are very effective for stopping that inner monologue

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4711230 - 09/25/05 09:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Finally an easy way to become enlightened. :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by Icelander (09/25/05 09:19 PM)

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #4712784 - 09/26/05 03:43 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

there's lots of different techniques to stop the inner dialogue. Whenever I have the ability to catch my thoughts going random, the internal dialogue will stop for a second or two.  A lot of it has to deal with how I am reacting towards reality, and so when there is focus on how a person reacts toward "the outer world" it turns into a form of meditation. Kind of like killing two birds with one stone :wink:

the thing though is to make your thoughts helpful. When you are thinking, does it help? observing the way we use our minds is where some good focus can come from.  why not train your mind for better ideas than just plain stopping it?  stopping the brain is very hard to do, and I'm sure it takes a lot of time. it's like using your mind as a tool (instead of the  tool using you). allow your mind to focus on a task and then when the task is finished set the tool down. 

another strategy is focusing on the "now". I know it sounds cliche, but allow the senses to be your focus.  watch over every detail what is happening in front of you. when you walk, listen to every step, feel every step. notice the temperature diffence from your hands to whatever you are touching.  By using your mind to focus on what's happening around you, it allows for less room for random thoughts and it makes you more aware of your surroundings! 
:sun:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4713063 - 09/26/05 09:24 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

First of all, it's important to acknowledge that thoughts do not need to be STOPPED. Your focus just needs to change, so that you are not latching onto those thoughts.

When one identifies with their thoughts obsessively, they lose their ability to see what surrounds the thoughts.

Thoughts are like clouds in a blue sky... you can either choose to "lock" your focus directly on the clouds (mental chatter) or you can choose to let go of the clouds and let them float by.

As you start to let go enough for the clouds to start floating by, you'll start to notice there is a more general focal point you could have chosen: the sky in it's entirety. (consciousness.)

This is a metaphorical practice that helps shift your focus from your thoughts to your consciousness itself... to the very fact that you are aware.

I find it's one of the only ways I can get myself to break from mental chatter.

--

Another method that works for me sometimes is to kind of self-impose a schizophrenic mindset temporarily. I allow there to be two "me's" in my head, representing opposing sides of the issue of whether or not I want my mind to be quieted.

I then try to find any sort of mental picture I can focus on for long enough to form some sort of continuity of action or motion.

Then one of "me" tells the other "me" that the movie is starting, and I should quiet down.

Believe it or not, that actually works for me. (I realize it sounds insane.. heh.)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4713256 - 09/26/05 10:59 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The issue about stopping the train of words intrigues me and stayed with me during this morning?s meditation; prior to latching onto my meditation practice train, I kind of just let go of all thought trains and feel the body relax.

While feeling the body relax, many little thoughts, incomplete ones are noticed: simultaneous associations, and fragmentary edges of images and sensations.

When I started practice, the ?beginning middle end? internal voice that follows the breath was very prominent, and the thousands of fragmentary echoes still occupy their place as background fabric to the main staging of the applied concentration.

From a sculptural point of view, the concentration meditation (as with just about all other applied thought and consciousness) emerges as an expression from the clay of this background activity in which associations are sifting continuously and forming partial images and connections.

The activity is like water adjusting to space and beams of breaking light crossing and impinging reactively upon the space and itself.

While driving to work this point of view was still active ? and while typing this here ? clandestine like ? it is also still active (1/4 of the time ? it seems as I shift attention and begin to do something I am just the big wave that is now expressed from the water, then the perspective resumes).

During the drive, I remembered that as a child, my Hebrew school teachers would say, that if you look at the face of god you will go mad. Is this what I am doing? Am I already mad. Is that background sifting fabric the face of god those teachers talked about and while shying away from secretly sought to dance with?

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4713493 - 09/26/05 12:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:

Thoughts are like clouds in a blue sky... you can either choose to "lock" your focus directly on the clouds (mental chatter) or you can choose to let go of the clouds and let them float by.

As you start to let go enough for the clouds to start floating by, you'll start to notice there is a more general focal point you could have chosen: the sky in it's entirety. (consciousness.)

This is a metaphorical practice that helps shift your focus from your thoughts to your consciousness itself... to the very fact that you are aware.

Yes, this metaphor is actually the reason why I chose my avatar..

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: dr0mni]
    #4713554 - 09/26/05 12:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

while driving, when I see those cute puffy white clouds over top of the road, I begin to curse and swerve madly.

just ask my wife.
it is the worst provocateur agent for my driving anxiety.

a sunny day - a long winding road in the country & PUFFY while little fricken clouds - all when I have to do the driving.

just hate it.

OfflineFoley
No added sugar.
 User Gallery

Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4720233 - 09/27/05 04:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I hate it, it happens to me when im reading, i can hear my voice in my head speaking the words.

--------------------
Foley

There were hard times ahead for the people of planet Ventura,
Staring into the networks of space and time,
Their eyes were open,
But still, they were blind,
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet

- Pendulum, Another Planet

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #4720333 - 09/27/05 04:25 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

My favorite method is daydreaming.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post4518136

I love to gaze off into space, allow my intellectual focus to slip away, and open the gates of perception as the images flow in.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Stopping the inner monologue. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4720595 - 09/27/05 05:15 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Am I already mad.

I think so Red. MAD, MAD, MAD, I SAY. :nut: :cuckoo: :psychsplit: :adam1975:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology