Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGourmetMushroom
Gourmet MushroomGrower
Loc: California USA
Got some Panellus stipticus (glowing) cultures. Looking for White Trumpet (Pleurotus eryngii)
    #4708240 - 09/25/05 03:57 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Got several 10ml vacutainers of Panellus stipticus, a bioluminescent wood lover that doesn't like any grain flours or grains in the mix or the pins abort. These make terrific novelty mushrooms as you can see both the mycelium and the fruits glow in the dark once your eyes adjust. The fruits glow about twice as brightly as the mycelium.

I am looking for these in a trade:

White Trumpet (Pleurotus eryngii)
Shaggy Mane
Lion's Mane

I will trade through USPS Priority Mail. I will protect my vacutainer in the mail using a PVC shield such that the test tube cannot leak or break short of a car running over the thing. You need to somehow prevent leaking too. The postal service doesn't like wet packages and will immediately destroy such a package.

Edited by GourmetMushroom (09/25/05 01:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSpeeker

Re: Got some Panellus stipticus (glowing) cultures. Looking for White Trumpet (Pleurotus eryngii) [Re: GourmetMushroom]
    #4708697 - 09/25/05 07:45 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

GourmetMushroom said:
wood lover that doesn't like any grain flours or grains in the mix or the pins abort.

have you found out this yourself or is the information available somewhere?

OfflineGourmetMushroom
Gourmet MushroomGrower
Re: Got some Panellus stipticus (glowing) cultures. Looking for White Trumpet (Pleurotus eryngii) [Re: Speeker]
    #4709369 - 09/25/05 01:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I first tried to grow these using the standard wood chip, sawdust, and bran formula that I used with Shiitake, Oysters, and others. They colonized painfully slow, as usual, but they pinned fine. The pins, though, never developed. I tried with a 1:1 saw dust and wood chip block and I found they would grow from around the wood chips and the fruits would develop fully. I later read on the SporeWorks site that they found the same thing out.

I have found this mushroom to be one of the slowest I've tried to grow. Liquid cultures grow okay but not super dense like Shiitake, Oysters, or Reishi or any others before the mycelium tends to coalesce into mycelium balls at about 10 days. The mycelium balls are about the size of BBs and tend to prevent any further increase in density. When you use this liquid culture, it doesn't always live through the bag mix either. You have to be careful with it. I wouldn't even mix up the bag as I've had a bag die off using a dense live culture but mixing too throughly.

I know there are some guys on here that say this mushroom grows like crazy and is like oysters. In my experience with it, it is relatively delicate and slow compared to any of the other common edibles. Maybe those guys are doing something I am not.

Edited by GourmetMushroom (09/25/05 01:07 PM)

OfflineGourmetMushroom
Gourmet MushroomGrower
Re: Got some Panellus stipticus (glowing) cultures. Looking for White Trumpet (Pleurotus eryngii) [Re: Speeker]
    #4709433 - 09/25/05 01:32 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I decided to take a fancy picture to illustrate the density that I was able to achieve with Panelleus versus a typical mushroom like Shiitake. Notice that in this picture you can barely see the edge of the test tube label on the Shitake yet through the less dense Panelleus it's clearly visible (you'll need to click on the picture to see the large version).

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms