Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineriotglide
Stranger
Burrough's "Junky"
    #1277393 - 02/04/03 08:15 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

howdy,
I just finished reading the book "Junky" by William S. Burroughs and was just wondering how accurate his portrayal (which is decidedly well informed from what i hear) of junky life is.  I have never been, am not planning to be, WILL NEVER BE a junky, though i have messed around with morphine, codiene etc once or twice.  Nothing to intense or serious.  Has anyone with more experience with this than myself (preferably somone who has fought/ is fighting addiction read this book?  I realize its pretty dated but would you consider his portrayal an accurate one?  he claims that it take "A month of two shots a day to develop any kind of habit at all"  your thoughts?  of course he also claims that "There is no habit to C(ocaine)" Which I KNOW is false.  Any response would be much appreciated.  Just trying to feed my curiousity and check one story against another.  thanks.
-KP
ps-my puppy just came in and she rolled in shit somwhere.  Now i have to wash her.  damn. :crazy: 

--------------------
I'm the one whos gonna have to die when its time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.- Jimi

Edited by riotglide (02/04/03 08:16 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineskabbo
ModifiedOrganism

Loc: NE US
Re: Burrough's "Junky" [Re: riotglide]
    #1277483 - 02/04/03 08:47 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I've read it, and while I've never been addicted to opiates, I'd say its a relatively accurate portrayal, judging by the fact that its personal experience coming from someone who made his living expressing himself in words. Also, when I compare to people I know who have had serious problems with opiates, its pretty close..

--------------------
http://www.GetPlayed.com
Shamelessly getting amateur musicians some play

Offlineriotglide
Stranger
Re: Burrough's "Junky" [Re: skabbo]
    #1277519 - 02/04/03 08:58 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

That was my feeling to, I was just curious. particularly because he wrote it while in the throes of addiction as opposed to after wards. There is also the chance that he fictionalized quite a bit, although being familiar with his back ground and writing i would be inclined to doubt it. Mostly I just wanted people to compare and contrast their experience with their own. again: Just curious.

--------------------
I'm the one whos gonna have to die when its time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.- Jimi

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1277532 - 02/04/03 09:02 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

This is probably in the wrong forum,but I'll reply to it anyway.

I love Junky,it was my bible when I did a ton of pain killers. It was good in the respect that it made me feel less alone when all I had to live for was to get high and nod off,but it was also bad because when I wanted to quit all that shit,it made me realize I was leaving behind a whole lifestyle.

I don't know how well it portrays the junkie lifestyle,because I never went too far down that road,and like you said,it's pretty dated.Burroughs was supposedly a real genuine guy though.I seriously doubt he made that stuff up.He originally wrote it as an autobiography of sorts,but it was too contriversial at the time,so he "fictionized" it and put it out under a different name.

If you liked Junkie,you might not like his other works.Junkie is written pretty straight forward,and most of his other books are written in "cut up" style that can be very hard to follow at times.If you want a good account of what goes through the mind of a heroin addict during withdrawal,pick up Naked Lunch.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlineriotglide
Stranger
Re: Burrough's "Junky" [Re: monoamine]
    #1277571 - 02/04/03 09:21 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I tried 'naked lunch' and 'cities of the red night' and made it through niether.  i just couldn't tell what the fuck he was talking about.  It really vexed me actually because i consider myself a very literary person and have read many (what I would consider) challenging books.  Oh well.  Junkie was great though. 
Also, you're right, this is the wrong forum :crazy: I'm sure it will be move to OTD soon enough. 

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Post deleted by Anno [Re: riotglide]
    #1277608 - 02/04/03 09:35 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinemotatraehrehtom
Brick

Re: Burrough's "Junky" [Re: ]
    #1277675 - 02/04/03 09:54 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I loved Junky, and Naked Lunch, but I haven't read any of Burroughs' other works. If you're really a Burroughs fan, and a fan of beat writers in general, you should read On the Road, by Kerouac. Not only is it an amazing book, but it also gives another account of a part of Burroughs' life, a part of his life that seemed to me to be a bit brighter.

--------------------
Did they get you to trade, your heroes for ghosts? Hot ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change? And did you exchange, a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in the cage?

Offlineriotglide
Stranger
Re: Burrough's "Junky" [Re: motatraehrehtom]
    #1277738 - 02/04/03 10:19 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I've read lots of Kerouac, gisberg, wolf, Kesey Etc.  I dunno, somthing about that split time just didn't work with my brain.  Ah, well.  Maybe I'll try again somtime.
ps-theres a book forum? :crazy: 

--------------------

Offlineblorb
Stranger
    #1278038 - 02/04/03 11:44 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I really enjoyed that book. It's been a long time since I read Burroughs. If you can find a copy of "Interzone" check that out as well as "The Ticket that Exploded". Anyway as he publicly admitted he was a lifetime on and off junky, so it's probably a pretty accurate picture of how the junky life was in the 60s.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1294414 - 02/09/03 05:45 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

he claims that it take "A month of two shots a day to develop any kind of habit at all"

That's true for any kind of physical habit. But if you're taking it every day you soon start getting a mental need for it that can be just as addictive if you arn't the strong willpower type.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

Re: Burrough's "Junky" [Re: Xlea321]
    #1295776 - 02/10/03 06:51 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineMrNed
Ned
Re: Burrough's "Junky" [Re: Anonymous]
    #4706201 - 09/24/05 04:28 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It should be remembered that "Junky" is published as fiction. It is based on Burrough's own experiences but is not the 100% gospel. However, the facts about drugs were true to Burroughs' own opions and perceptions.

There's a sequel called "Queer" which is also great. Not a cut-up book but this time straight up auto-biography.

--------------------
http://www.wasistdas.co.uk - my lil Krautrock site

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4706229 - 09/24/05 04:36 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

That is a great book. I'd say it's pretty accurate... not everyone that is addicted to opiates makes their entire life revolve around them though, that is to steal and so on as he does just to get enough for that one fix so he doesnt go into withdrawal. There are also many other characteristics of his own experience that make it different than others, but those are just the details really. Overall, it's very accurate. It's definitely accurate about the basics and so on. You could definitely get a good idea of what it's like to be a junkie from this book. And he's great at describing withdrawal as well.

As for the habit stuff... "a month of two shots... " thatd be true more so for the psychological addiction... physically itd just take a few days obviously. and his reference to cocaine... that was probably a mix of his own experience not having trouble being addicted to it and that he was probably referring to the physical addiction more so than psychological. he was probably on opiates then anyway so all of his psychological burden would be transferred to the opiates or removed by them so that may have not even been a factor.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Burrough's "Junky" [Re: Locus]
    #4707549 - 09/24/05 10:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

thatd be true more so for the psychological addiction... physically itd just take a few days obviously

I think you mean the other way around.
Physical addiction to heroin is actually less common than you might think, some people claim that they've gotten withdrawal effects after a few days of use, but I think that's placebo effect.

It's estimated only around 40% of people who claim to be addicts are actually physically addicted.

And cocaine doesn't cause withdrawal symptoms like heroin does, that's what he's referring to.

Junky is certainly one of my favorite books. I love Burroughs. Naked Lunch is, of course, a great book too, if you can make it through that much insanity.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Edited by Phluck (09/24/05 10:43 PM)

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#4707791 - 09/24/05 11:41 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

riotglide said:
I tried 'naked lunch' and 'cities of the red night' and made it through niether. i just couldn't tell what the fuck he was talking about.

Hahaha, I know what you mean. After reading Naked Lunch all I could think was, "What the fuck just happened?" But I love nonsense like that.
I'll never look at the band Steely Dan the same way either, they seemed so nice and wholesome.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Burrough's "Junky" [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4707914 - 09/25/05 12:17 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think it's easy to enjoy some of his more bizarre stuff after you've read some of his more normal stuff.

Perhaps reading various other beat era poetry helps too.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
923 topic views. 0 members, 4 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.