Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinesillyCyban
Stranger
freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms
    #4705602 - 09/24/05 04:20 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

most of my shrooms came from contam-free cakes, but a few came from cakes that had a slight bit of green mold. they appeared to be perfectly normal so I dried them out and froze them in an airtight container along with the others. Shouldn't the dry-freeze process destroy any harmful bacteria?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms [Re: sillyCyban]
    #4705636 - 09/24/05 04:27 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

no, spoers from contaminants can survive in sub zero temps for many years

OfflinePooGrowerPart2
semi pro

Re: freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms [Re: sillyCyban]
    #4705765 - 09/24/05 04:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Just throw them away,,, give it up...

--------------------
Now listen hear mush babys, i just beleive its the right thing to do.... I got a brand new bitch corporate america, shes showing me alot of action right now.
But i know you put me on my feet and all, but you know, its time for me to grow.... You gotta let me go baby gotta let me go.. Im done for now so 1 for now, like all good things we must come to an end SO please show the same life to my friends.... DEAR MUSH MUSH

OfflineJellyRollMorton
Stranger Danger
Loc: Bobland
Re: freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms [Re: PooGrowerPart2]
    #4705835 - 09/24/05 05:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I disagree.... if they came from cakes that were contamned with green mold, then the mushies should be ok as long as there was no mold on the fruitbody or the fruitbody didn't grow directly from a contam'ed part. I have eaten mushies from a situation like yours and had a wonderful trip.

OfflineMrKrinkle
Stranger

Re: freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms [Re: JellyRollMorton]
    #4706085 - 09/24/05 05:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

no green molds are harmful to humans

am i correct?

***DONT TAKE MY ADVICE, im not 100% sure***

--------------------
"the air is gettng slippery..."

InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
Re: freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms [Re: MrKrinkle]
    #4706146 - 09/24/05 06:10 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i know some ppl that eat cheese that has molded... just cut off the greed

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms [Re: JellyRollMorton]
    #4706249 - 09/24/05 06:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

JellyRollMorton said:
I disagree.... if they came from cakes that were contamned with green mold, then the mushies should be ok as long as there was no mold on the fruitbody or the fruitbody didn't grow directly from a contam'ed part. I have eaten mushies from a situation like yours and had a wonderful trip.

Well, what you are saying is incorrect. If mushies are growing from a contaminated cake, then the fruit bodies are contaminated as well.

Mushrooms pull all of their nutrients, water, etc from the mycelium "network". If part of that "network" is contaminated, so are the mushroom fruit bodies. No matter if the contam is 100 feet away or if the mushies are growing right on the mold. The network will bring the mold to the fruit bodies, no matter where the mushrooms are in comparison to the mold.

Now, eating mushies that grow from green mold probably won't get you sick and you probably won't die from it. The problem with that, is that there are sometimes other types of molds that will grow with green mold that aren't as easy to spot. Those types of molds will get you very sick. That is why it is common practice to just toss them. 4 hours of fun is not worth months of being sick. Besides that, it is just plain gross.

as far as the first post, even if the mushies are dry, you should not put them in the freezer. Once you pull them out, they will still be contaminated, but will turn to mush because of all of the moisture now added by freezing.

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4706278 - 09/24/05 06:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup:

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4706381 - 09/24/05 07:35 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

as far as the first post, even if the mushies are dry, you should not put them in the freezer. Once you pull them out, they will still be contaminated, but will turn to mush because of all of the moisture now added by freezing.

I've never had a problem storing dried mushrooms in the freezer....I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Fresh mushrooms turn into slush, but dried, seem to work fine in the freezer....

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: freeze-drying "contaminated" shrooms [Re: mycofile]
    #4706425 - 09/24/05 07:51 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

it wasnt me...

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4706874 - 09/24/05 10:05 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mycofile said:
Quote:

I've never had a problem storing dried mushrooms in the freezer....I'm not sure what you're talking about here.  Fresh mushrooms turn into slush, but dried, seem to work fine in the freezer....

Well, IMO, I don't think anyone should store mushrooms in the freezer unless you have a TON of them to begin with, and have no room for them...Most people here do not grow that quantity.  Now if someone like scatmanrav did that...I could understand.  They will keep fine in a cool dark place for a very long time....there is no reason to freeze.  And if you need to store them longer than that....hehe don't grow them until you are ready to eat them.  Or PM me for my addy :cool:  My stomatch has been known to store a good amount of mushies.

but anyway...the reason I don't like it is because you are taking dried mushrooms, in a sealed bag, at room temp or warmer, and putting them in a very cold place.

That can cause condensation in the bag allowing ice particles to form around the mushies.  When you actually thaw them out...you could get mush or damp mushies......yuck.

I'm not saying it doesn't work for a lot of people, I'm just against putting dried mushies anywhere there is a possibility for moisture to get in.  They will last for months in a cool dark place....Mine are usually all gone long before that :grin:  hehe maybe I need to lose some friends :smirk:

Edited by srgtm1a (09/24/05 10:15 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4706906 - 09/24/05 10:14 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

srgtm1a said:
That can cause condensation in the bag allowing ice particles to form around the mushies. When you actually thaw them out...you could get mush or damp mushies......yuck.

it can also cause additional more harmful contams to develop

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #4707059 - 09/24/05 10:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If they are in a sealed jar or bag, there is no moisture to freeze other than what's already in the jar or bag. If the shrooms are dry, that leaves only water vapor in the air. If the jar or bag is vacuum sealed, or has a small packet of desicant in it, this is impossible.

I hear you about wanting to be safe, but I also want people to know they can do it if they want to. I've known of people who didn't grow for years because they had a nice supply in the freezer. Possession is better than manufacture, ya know?

That aside, if in doubt throw them out, sillyCyban. It's really just not worth it.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflinePinx
Stranger
    #4712966 - 09/26/05 07:29 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

IMO the contam-eatornot situation is something where you would like to be better save than sorry

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dessicant

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation