Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFunkyMonkey
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Theocratic States of Amer...
Thanks Shroomery!
    #4703081 - 09/24/05 01:43 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Many thanks to everyone here at the Shroomery for sharing their info.  My pet monkey learned so much he wanted me to tell you thanks.  Smart monkey he is...

So my pet monkey had his trainer go buy him some large ZipLoc "Twist n' Lock" containers.

He cut a small hole on the lids of the ZipLoc containers and super glued a hepa filter patch on top of the hole.

He took some popcorn and let it set in water for 24 hours, for good measure he poured in some Hydrogen Peroxide (up to 50%).

After the popcorn soaked he put it in his pressure cooker (although he could have just boiled it) for about an hour.  Then he rinsed the popcorn real good and let it drain for 30 minutes to an hour.

Then he filled the ZipLoc containers with the popcorn (about 3/4 - 4/5 full).  He just laid the top on the ZipLoc container and microwaved for 5 minutes.

After he let it cool he injected his favorite spores through the hepa filter (Oyster mushrooms I think).. :smile:  Of course he wiped the syrenge with an alcohol wipe first.

After the spores colonized the popcorn for about 30 days he tried to fruit his cakes.

-----

Of course he could fruit the cakes in the ziploc container if he wanted but he put it in a plastic tub, lined the bottom with Perlite, added water, put the cake on a peice of aluminum foil and put saran wrap over the top of the tub to hold in moisture.

He even had some store bought manure he put on top of it (came with a kit my monkey ordered without telling me).

Well he got that cake to fruit, only one mushroom at first, he got many more mushrooms from it after awhile.

My monkey (who can read) saw the dunk tek on here and used that.  He just put his cake back in the ziplock container, filled it with water and wadded up some saran wrap to hold the cake down below the water when he put the lid back on.  He let that sit for 24 hours and the mushrooms were MUCH bigger.

---

My monkey was very happy with that.  But he couldn't get the other cakes he had to produce much if anything.  Even after a week in the fruiting chamber.

So he tried to case a couple as a test.

He took 50% vermiculite & 50% peat moss and put it in one of his ZipLoc Twist n' Lock containers and shook it up real good.  After mixed he poured in some water (enough to make it moist) and stirred it up a little.  Then he put this in the microwave for 5 minutes, just laying the lid on top, not screwing it down.

Then he took an aluminum baking sheet (2 of them actually) and he put perlite & water in the bottom.  He slid it in the oven and baked it at 400F for an hour after covering it with aluminum foil.

After everything cooled he just crumbled a cake on top of the perlite and then put about 1" or less of the casing mix (vermiculite/peatmoss) to cover the crumbled cakes.

Well.  My monkey is much happier with the results there!  Many, many mushrooms!

He had some big plastic tubs too.  So he took some perlite and put it in another ZipLoc Twist n' Lock container and added some water, he nuked that for 3-4 minutes.

Then he wiped down the plastic tub with some rubbing alcohol.  He put 1" of the perlite on bottom, crumbled a cake on top, and then the casing mix on top (1" or less).  Then put saran wrap for the cover.  That seems to be coming along nicely too..

----

My monkey thinks he will have many mushrooms in the future and wanted to thank you.  He learned everything he knows from you folks here.  The only innovative idea he added was that ZipLoc container instead of using jars.  It seems to work for him, easier than PCing jars, and you can get ALOT of popcorn in one of them (about 2 pints I'm guessing).

So my monkey has about 30 of these ZipLoc Containers, he keeps bringing them home even though I tell him not to.  He has done about 30 of these jars and only had 2 contaminations.

Both times it was because the HEPA filter patch on top of the ZIPLOC Container came off/loose.  One he inoculated and the patch fell into the container, he unscrewed the lid, and just glued the filter back on without re-microwaving (since he already injected spores), it got green mold.  And another one the filter wasn't glued down well and evidently a fly laid their eggs in there and there were maggots in the popcorn!  - Moral of the story:  As long as you have that hepa filter on well you shouldn't have any contams!

2 Contams out of 30 jars isn't too bad, my monkey expected those to contaminate because he screwed them both up. So 100% success with no contams when he did them properly.

Well enough about my monkey.  He hopes this helps someone, and if anyone has any other ideas to improve on what he's doing let him know.

He has 2 casings fruiting now and about 8 more that will be in a few days (a few of his casings are HUGE).

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."
Abraham Lincoln (1809-65), U.S. President.
Speech, 18 Dec. 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives

Edited by FunkyMonkey (09/24/05 01:47 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFunkyMonkey
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Theocratic States of Amer...
Re: Thanks Shroomery! [Re: FunkyMonkey]
    #4703197 - 09/24/05 02:00 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My monkey heard there are problems getting popcorn to fruit. Casing them seems to be the answer.

He did the casings two ways:

1) 1" Perlite on bottom, Crumbled Cake, 1"- Casing Layer
2) 1" Perlite on bottom, 1"- Casing layer, Crumbled Cake, 1"- Casing layer.

He found #1 definately produces more pinheads so nothing between the cake & perlite seems best. He's seen it done a number of diffrent ways including without perlite, it seems #1 seems to be the best way.

So he keeps reading about popcorn not having alot of nutrients and wonders what he can do on top of what hes been doing to improve.

Adding crushed oyster shells to the casing mix seems to be recommended, but my monkey can't find any and the casings are doing okay.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."
Abraham Lincoln (1809-65), U.S. President.
Speech, 18 Dec. 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives

InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
Re: Thanks Shroomery! [Re: FunkyMonkey]
    #4703810 - 09/24/05 04:18 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

:shrug:... thanx... :shrug:.. and... where can i get a monkey like that??

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation