Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Millet (Update)
    #4682947 - 09/19/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Um, ok, I let my millet soak for about 18 hours. I just started simmering it. It is now fluffy and mushy. I didn't boil it, so I'm not sure why this happened. Is it supposed to be like this (I'm guessing no)? Is it still usable?

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Edited by demius (09/23/05 05:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Millet [Re: demiu5]
    #4684994 - 09/20/05 12:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I heared from many that simmering is not necessary.
I have not much experience though on this matter so wait for some other people to answer this thread.

If I were you I would flush them and soak some other millet in 50/50 coffe and water and then sterilize them.

Offlineswiftrance
Let there be light

Re: Millet [Re: Phoenix99]
    #4685101 - 09/20/05 01:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

ya, i use rye and i noticed that simmering really gives me TOO much water. i still do though cause i notice when my jars are too dry they dont colonize, but ill only simmer for like 10-15min tops.

Usable, eh. its hard to say. I say go for it if you have spores to spare cause millet's expensive isnt it?

goodluck :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Millet [Re: swiftrance]
    #4685152 - 09/20/05 02:15 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You may have bought hulled millet, you want stuff with the "shell" still on

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Millet [Re: blackout]
    #4685480 - 09/20/05 08:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I bought whole millet. It looks like the millet in birdseed, so I suppose it is unhulled. Well, anyways, I inoculated the one jar this morning. The sub. is all somewhat packed together, but there are lots of gaps and tunnels, for a lack of a better word, throughout it so I'm not sure what will happen. I put somewhere between 1.5 and 2 ccs of Gulf Coast into it. Poly-fil over the hole in the middle. It may be expensive, but I think I'm going to conduct some experiments with millet since there is no real tek solely for it. I'll keep that simmering time in mind next time around.

Thanks

--------------------

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4686254 - 09/20/05 01:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Go for it and let us know your results.

Where I live, millet is not expensive- at all. I get it at a gardening store.

I know many really like millet. (Roadkill comes to mind) but I didn't have as much luck with it. It would start off and then stall on me with every jar I tried. I think it ran out of water somehow. I tried simmering, not simmering, etc.

Hope you have better luck. I must have been doing something wrong. I went back to Bird Basic WBS for spawning and now I have much better results.

CLUTCH

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Millet [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4701756 - 09/23/05 05:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Update!!!: Alright, well, it's been 4 days since I inoculated the jar of apparently boiled millet. I put between 1.5 and 2 ccs of Gulf Coast in there through one hole in the top filled with poly-fil. As of an hour ago, small half-dime sized bumps of mycelium have formed. I'm not sure how long this will last.

It has been sitting outside of a conatiner on the top shelf of my closet for two days. Temps on my thermostat are between 78 and 80 F. So far no spots of contams on the outside which is odd cause I figured the jar was fucked to begin with and I didn't wipe the mositure from the top part of the jar.

I'm kind of excited actually now. I thought this mess-up turned experiment would not do anything. We shall see as time goes though.

--------------------

Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

#4701955 - 09/23/05 06:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i did the same thing. it will colonize provided the substrate was sterilized properly, only very slowly (2-3 times longer than average). should fruit fine too. mine is ready to case but i just don't feel like doing that now  :shrug:

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Millet [Re: puwtrip]
    #4701990 - 09/23/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Awesome. Do you have a tek that you use or came up with? I'm just tossing mine around, basing it off docs but making some changes to it. Gonna see what works well, any input would be great.

--------------------

Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

#4702091 - 09/23/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

for the millet in particular? no. i just wanted to try out some other grains. one thing i didn't like about it was, small and sticky beads are hard to drain properly and are pretty smelly when soaking comapred to wheat. i assume my bag took so long to colonize because it was oversaturated from boiling and not properly drained. i think a 12 hr soak and drain is enough to get good water content.

as long as it's colonizing now, i'm sure your jar will go all the way provided it remains contam free. breaking up the clumps really helped the myc speed up, as the whole substrate really sticks together. just put your jar aside and work on other things, it will reward you eventually.

Offline3six5
Psychenaught
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right here
Re: Millet [Re: puwtrip]
    #4703864 - 09/24/05 02:29 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i don't simmer my wbs, i run it under hothot tap water in sive,, shaking, stirring. and plop it into a bucket/bowl of hot water.. stir till it cyclones.. pour off through the strainer.. the gravel will be the last thing to come out, i try to remove as much of this as i can. after about 30 minutes of rinseing/soaking its jar'd.. filled half way up w/ grain.tap it down.. then 3/4th the way up the grain w/ water and pc'd. penningtons enriched wbs.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale