Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethebottomhalf
Stranger

Question about casings.
    #4700659 - 09/23/05 03:21 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

My friend has been successively cultivating using the PF Tek for about a year. He is now trying the bulk substrate via Shroom God's Tek with the 50/50 + crushed oyster shells as the casing. Everything goes smoothly; the bird seed colonizes quickly and so does the hay. He is having a problem with contaminates (THE GREEN PLAGUE) on his casing after a week or so. And yes, he takes all of the precautions necessary: Lysol surfaces, Oust air, turn off the air conditioner, wash hands and use latex gloves. One thing I mentioned, was to sterilize the casing, instead of pasteurizing.
  He has a couple questions for the more advanced cultivators:
1. He has a one bed room apartment-and is worried that there may be too many contaminates in this little area to case effectively. I once read on this site that there are far less contaminates outside. He is going to try to apply the casing outside on his balcony; would there be any reason that you can think of, that this would be a bad idea.
2. He is also wondering if he should switch to coco coir instead of peat moss. We have seen pictures of both casings. I believe the mycelia has a much better hold on the coco coir, and a lot faster. And there doesn't seem to be as many contaminated casings either.
:heart:Thanks for any feed back that you may have.
Quote:

It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Question about casings. [Re: thebottomhalf]
    #4700700 - 09/23/05 03:27 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

1. balcony idea isn't bad.
2. i like coco coir over peat.(peat requires too much work IMHO, unless the species requires it and this one doesn't)

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: Question about casings. [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4700779 - 09/23/05 03:46 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't do it outside.

I use the 50/50+, with hydrated lime. I always serilize it once, then use it for up to 3 weeks.

Look at your air exchange. Inadequate air exchange will often lead to contams.

I have noticed that since I moved to a martha and have a cool mist going 24/7 to keep the air moving, I have encountered very few contams

-J

Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

Re: Question about casings. [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4700784 - 09/23/05 03:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

wheat straw is one of the harder bulk substrates to colonize. if you got that far without problems, i really don't know how the casing managed to contaminate.

the only thing i can think of is that you either have parts of the straw which are uncolonized that may have gotten contammed during the casing process, or parts sticking through the casing layer, or some other nutrients in the layer. infections could have even come up from below the casing if there was prior exposure.

you really need to give more descriptions of your whole process. i suggest you re-read the casing procedures over at the tek area.

roadkill's casing is about to bring me mucho luck and it's very simple: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23536

Offlinethebottomhalf
Stranger

Re: Question about casings. [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #4701914 - 09/23/05 08:10 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The contamination I was talking about, with the 50/50 +, was noticed six days after application. It was never opened during the six day span and shouldn't need air exchange. The 40 gallon tub that was used- was placed in his bedroom, the cleanest room besides the kitchen. Shroom Gods Tek says to place the plastic with holes directly on top of the casing. I think that might be where I'm getting contams from. He has failed 6 of 6 times with this casing. He has now decided to give the coir a shot.

And do you have a reason why you wouldn't apply a casing outside?

Thanks for the input.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation