Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecubeladd
Stranger
Loc: Sunny ol' England
Banish bad trips!
    #4700095 - 09/23/05 12:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

MOD EDIT: No Sources! The question is: Beta blockers for bad trips - would it work?

--------------------
"The only thing I'm high on is Love for my Son and Daughters. Yes, a little LSD is all I need."
-Marge Simpson

Edited by Wiccan_Seeker (09/23/05 01:07 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Banish bad trips! [Re: cubeladd]
    #4700130 - 09/23/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think so.

Offlinecubeladd
Stranger
Loc: Sunny ol' England
Re: Banish bad trips! [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4700193 - 09/23/05 01:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It could work, I've heard that beta-blockers are the best at stopping them once they occour.

--------------------
"The only thing I'm high on is Love for my Son and Daughters. Yes, a little LSD is all I need."
-Marge Simpson

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Banish bad trips! [Re: cubeladd]
    #4701252 - 09/23/05 05:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

what are beta blockers? The guy in pi talked about them and mentioned ibu-profen and marijuana.... but I'm not entirely sure what their purpose is.... blocking the beta wave? or does beta have nothing to do with brainwaves in this circumstance?

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Banish bad trips! [Re: leery11]
    #4701268 - 09/23/05 05:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

beta-blocker
ADVERTISEMENT
or beta-adrenergic blocking agent (bā?tsymbol ăd??rsymboln?r?jĭk) , drug that reduces the symptoms connected with hypertension, cardiac arrhythmias, angina pectoris, migraine headaches, and other disorders related to the sympathetic nervous system. Beta-blockers also are sometimes given after heart attacks to stabilize the heartbeat. Within the sympathetic nervous system, beta-adrenergic receptors are located mainly in the heart, lungs, kidneys, and blood vessels. Beta-blockers compete with the nerve-stimulating hormone epinephrine for these receptor sites and thus interfere with the action of epinephrine, lowering blood pressure and heart rate, stopping arrhythmias, and preventing migraine headaches. Because it is also epinephrine that prepares the body for "fight or flight" in stressful or fearful situations, beta-blockers are sometimes used as antianxiety drugs, especially for stage fright and the like. People taking a beta-blocker must avoid caffeine, alcohol, and salty foods, because the interaction of those substances and the drug can raise the heart rate and blood pressure. Propranolol (Inderal) is a commonly used beta-blocker.

Basically beta-blockers compete with epinephrine, and reduce the fight-or-flight response.

Benzos would be a better and safer and more reliable bet to reduce anxiety during a trip.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: Banish bad trips! [Re: dblaney]
    #4701366 - 09/23/05 06:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Aren't benzo's pottentially an addiction problem? That's something many otherwise confident herbal entheogen users would be weary of. Especially since you would have a hard time getting ahold of it in the first place, and until you broke the addiction you would curse at yourself for not being able to use more (although that would make it easier to get off of them).

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Banish bad trips! [Re: Konnrade]
    #4701453 - 09/23/05 06:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

They are indeed addictive, but not on the order of you use it one time and you're hooked. In fact, many a tripper keeps a benzo handy to use as a last resort, just in case.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineLysergicRide
Excuse me while I kiss the sky!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Banish bad trips! [Re: dblaney]
    #4706721 - 09/24/05 09:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have to agree Benzo's are not addictive unless heavily used and abused. Problem might be attitude. "I'm feeling kind of stressed, I think I'm going to pop a xanax"... You don't really feel any kind of high from Xanax (when used without any other drugs or alcohol) but your stress level goes way down. I've never felt any kind of side effects such as slowed relflexes, ect... But if they become viewed as a "easy way out" of daily stress and start getting taken a lot your body and mind can become dependent on them. In my experience with Xanax I can't even "feel" the drug... I just notice an hour or so later after taking it I'm a lot more relaxed.

Remember, this is just my personal experience. Others may very.

One thing is for sure, the effects are multiplied in a negative way when combined with alcohol. Can you say memoryloss and no coordination? 1 beer and 1 xanax. Good luck passing a sobriety test, even if you pass a breathalizer.

I mostly just keep the stuff around to help me sleep occasionally and for the possibility to relieve the end of a trip.

I really do not see any addiction potential if only used a couple times a week. But that is just my OPINION....

--------------------
The fool on the hill sees the sun going down... And the eyes in his head see the world spinning around

"I can't tell if I'm coming up or down"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience