Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNilsen9491
SuperNoob
 User Gallery

Don't freak out b/c I'm asking a noob question.....
    #4696699 - 09/22/05 06:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I want to preface this post by stating that yes, I have done research. I have researched the subject thoroughly and still have a question. For those of you who freak out at noob posts, you should stop reading now.

Ok, if you've gotten this far, then thank you for not being a dick. Here's what I've done so far: I've started a casing using horse poo and verm. I'm using a combination of different teks that I've found here and there. I've got about 1" of poo/verm, then my crumbled cake, and then about 2" of poo. I kept it covered for about 10 days with foil until myc started peaking through the surface. I then uncovered it and put it into my fruiting chamber, patching the spots of myc with verm so that, according to my research, will help promote an even growth. Now the myc has started coming up in other places and I'm getting all giddy b/c I'm expecting pins any day. But here's the question: in all the teks and posting I've looked at, I'm unclear if the myc is supposed to completely cover the top or not. I'm positive that there is a nice thick layer of myc in the middle of my poo sandwich. Am I supposed to now cover my casing with a new layer of dry or moist verm or not?
Some teks I've seen suggest that pins will begin beneath the surface and others suggest that it occurs on the surface. This is my 2nd casing (first one got way contaminated after 1st flush b/c I neglected it while I was out of town....what a bad parent). The first one was the "easy casing tek" found on this site, chosen b/c of it's simplicity....

Thanks for any help

--------------------
Big Mike

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Don't freak out b/c I'm asking a noob question..... [Re: Nilsen9491]
    #4696722 - 09/22/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

you haven't made a casing there, all you have done is spawn to some poo. the casing comes in when you apply a non-nutrient rich layer on top of the colonized poo.
you should let the poo get 100% colonized before fruiting or applying a casing layer. otherwise you leave the poo open to contamination.
you'll also get faster colonization of the poo if you thouroughly mix the spawn with the poo.
do some more reading up on casing.
:peace:

OfflineNilsen9491
SuperNoob
 User Gallery

Re: Don't freak out b/c I'm asking a noob question..... [Re: backupwards]
    #4696735 - 09/22/05 06:32 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Rad. I'm pretty sure that answers my noob question. Thanks.....

--------------------
Big Mike

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Don't freak out b/c I'm asking a noob question..... [Re: Nilsen9491]
    #4697705 - 09/22/05 09:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

it sounds like to me you did something completely silly.
Quote:

I've got about 1" of poo/verm, then my crumbled cake, and then about 2" of poo.

Did you really leave it layered like that? You're supposed to mix it up! It's ok and all, but that's what happens when you insist on doing things your own way the first time!

And yeah, backupwards is right, the casing is what you lay on top of the colonized poo. In case you missed them:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3282
and
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3288

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix