Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineendikka
mechanicalheartseventually failtoo
Female User Gallery

Loc: Tampa, FL
does the weather matter..?
    #4694186 - 09/22/05 09:58 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:mushroom2:I live in Tampa, Fl and there's a pasture about an hour away in Leesburg that I found perfect for picking shrooms (it's in the middle of nowhere so there isn't too much to worry about except spiders) So, the first time I went to this field, we found about 18 p.c.'s. unfortunately we had to split it between 3 people and i only had a light trip. However, it was good enough to make me want to do it again. Now, when I found them i remember it was extremely humid out and it had been raining for a few days prior. I've gone to the same spot about 3 times since (and there hadn't been much rain, and it wasn't very humid at all) i found not a damn thing any of those times. I guess I've been thinking maybe the seasons over. But it's Florida, they've gotta be out there. The last time i went which was last weekend, there were mushrooms, but not the right kind. I noticed a few piles of old crap and it looked like this light white fuzz was all across the top of it.. what does that mean? is that what happens before a shroom grows? If so, then damn! I wouldn't consider going again until next summer, but the past few days has been really really humid and rainy. It's supposed to be like this through the weekend. Does that mean if I go out there, I'll find some? Should I try picking a different field? I'd feel like such an ass if there were shrooms in every other field but the one I'm going to. If someone can help me out and give me some advice, that'd be great.  Also, I've been going about 6:45-7 am when the suns just coming up. How fast do the damn things pop up? Should I go at 11 instead? I'm kinda confused. :mushroom2:

--------------------
rip me open slowly
expose my insides
see my blood get colder so you can smile
whatever makes you happy love

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRees
Stranger
Re: does the weather matter..? [Re: endikka]
    #4694349 - 09/22/05 10:44 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

not experienced here, but i believe that, was any other natural thing, the weather does completely matter. also, the time you went there first, did you grab ALL shrooms or you left some behind?

Offlineweezcuomo
Grasshopper

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: does the weather matter..? [Re: Rees]
    #4694502 - 09/22/05 11:37 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Keep looking around. The only thing you have to be concerned about weather wise is whether or not it has been raining. You can go to the filed at any time of day you choose (just be warned that daytime picking is riskier because you are clearly visible). If it has been raining that means the humidity has been up. This is crucial for mushroom growth. I also live in the Tampa Bay area and the temperature at night has been very ideal for mushroom growth. Just keep looking. They're out there, you just have to look harder. You can be surprised at how well those things can hide from you. As far as the white fuzzy stuff, that is more than likely mycelium and yes that is what the mushrooms grow from. Good luck, be safe, and happy shrooming.

--------------------
This world is big and wild and half insane
Take me where real animals are playing...On Animal Farm!!

Offlineendikka
mechanicalheartseventually failtoo
Female User Gallery

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: does the weather matter..? [Re: Rees]
    #4694595 - 09/22/05 12:12 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i picked everything that i found, yes.. but i remember seeing a few piles of old crap that had a bunch of little baby shrooms. they were so cute but way too small to pick

--------------------
rip me open slowly
expose my insides
see my blood get colder so you can smile
whatever makes you happy love

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification