Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDrAbeLincoln
enthusiast

Contam Problem..thinking of quitting
    #469325 - 11/25/01 03:15 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I've been trying to get these guys grow for 6 months now...I have no contamination during incubation period but everytime I birth the cakes they get hit with green mold...I've completely cleaned out the grow space and the terrarium with bleach, lysol and various other cleaning items and nothing seems to stop this mold...My cakes are 100% colonized and pinning when the mold always seems to strike..I've been told that green mold is normally due to high c02 levels so I've even integrated an air pump pumping in fresh air into my terrarium..I've even got the airpump inside of a sterilite container with holes cut out and filter discs affixed to the box to allow fresh filtered air....is there anything else that I could be doing to keep this nasty contam away from my babies

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekingkc
enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Contam Problem..thinking of quitting [Re: DrAbeLincoln]
    #469340 - 11/25/01 03:27 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Normally green mold takes over on the casing layer I think.
If one has completely colonized cake then one should'nt have too much of a problem with green mold. Try leaving the cakes in the jar and let the shrooms grow without being birthed. You can slide the cake back in to go with a next flush.Please do not give up though. It takes a little cutting and trying to get the hang of it. Peace.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #469363 - 11/25/01 03:51 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,
Thats not good! AFOAF has had many of her casings lost to green mold. Never had any cakes lost to it though....

Are you handling the cakes at all? If you can, don't touch your cakes (or casings) at all. Even the smallest bit of dead skin can start a nice spread of green mold. In AFOAF's case, her hair fell in one of her casings and within hours she spotted green mold (goes to show how much she showers:) lol

Where is your terrainum placed? Is it sitting on a floor or higher up? Most contaminates are within a 2-4 inches of the ground.

I don't know how exactly I can help you but if you need anything, feel free to PM me.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineDrAbeLincoln
enthusiast

Re: Contam Problem..thinking of quitting [Re: Lana]
    #469369 - 11/25/01 03:59 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I've got the terrarium up on table...far from the ground...I used latex gloves that I wipe off with alcohol swabs to pick up the cakes....I've heard that 100% colonized cakes are hard to get contaminated but mine always seem to go...the only thing I can even think of is that possibly the dry verm layer is drying out the top of the cake possibly leaving it uncolonized...I'm just going to skip the dry verm layer this time seeing how during incubation I dont seem to have any problems

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #469383 - 11/25/01 04:08 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Please do not omit the verm barrier. They'll contaminate quicker than you can imagine.

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: DrAbeLincoln]
    #469384 - 11/25/01 04:09 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Invisibledk138
enthusiast
Loc: SOC
Re: Contam Problem..thinking of quitting *DELETED* [Re: DrAbeLincoln]
    #469431 - 11/25/01 05:07 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by dk138

--------------------
"And the worms ate into his brains."

OfflineDrAbeLincoln
enthusiast

Re: Contam Problem..thinking of quitting [Re: MicronMagick]
    #469631 - 11/25/01 09:51 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I mixed up some jars without the dry layer....I have them isolated in there own incubation chamber...and I am leaving the foil on top...if they get contamed...no big deal...I've lost enough jars that a few more wont hurt....

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

Re: Contam Problem..thinking of quitting [Re: dk138]
    #469639 - 11/25/01 09:59 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

whats the ramsey seal?

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #469650 - 11/25/01 10:41 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Green mold actually thrives on living mycelium, it will grow with out it, but it seems to spread faster when its eating away at mycelium. The only thing I can think of is that your being too sterile(well almost). Sterility is only the key prior to 100% colonisation, after that I personally don't put that much effort into being sterile, and I don't get green mold attacks until post 4th flush usually. One of my terrariums in fact sits directly on the floor of my bedroom, and is often covered by dirty laundry (I have a horribly messy room), and contams aren't usually an issue. Try adding a bit of h2o2 to a spray bottle and misting once or twice a day.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom