Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: DXM

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
DEA Cracks Down on Internet Sites Selling Medications Illegally
    #4693809 - 09/22/05 04:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

DEA Cracks Down on Internet Sites Selling Medications Illegally
September 22, 2005 - law.com

Drug enforcement agents said they arrested at least 18 people and halted prescription writing by dozens of doctors and a pharmacist in a crackdown Wednesday on illegal sales of medications over the Internet.

Thirteen arrests were made in Texas and five in Florida. The Drug Enforcement Administration suspended the registrations of 20 doctors and 22 Internet pharmacies in the United States, including Puerto Rico, to stop them from writing or filling prescriptions.

Agents also shut down at least 4,600 Web sites the suspects controlled, and seized 2,400 checks and money orders written by individuals for $200 each. They also seized seven luxury cars and boxes of cash that had not yet been counted in the yearlong multi-agency investigation dubbed "Operation CYBERx."

They have started legal procedures to seize several homes belonging to those arrested, valued at about $7.85 million.

"E-traffickers are just a modern way of saying drug dealers," DEA Administrator Karen Tandy said in a statement. The arrests were announced Wednesday in a news conference in Dallas.

The sting "puts out of business cyber criminals who were selling powerful narcotics without legitimate prescriptions to anyone with a computer and cash," Tandy said. "This operation makes more Americans aware that buying prescription drugs from these rogue Web sites is illegal and dangerous."

Those arrested largely operated Internet sites where orders were placed or handled.

Among the suspects were five people the DEA alleged were ringleaders. They were identified as Johar Saran of Arlington, Texas; Gaston Blanchet and Gil Lozano of Miami; S. Ted Solomon of Orlando and Steve Rosner of Boca Raton, Fla.

DEA alleged Saran operated 22 Internet "pharmacies" in the Dallas area, allowing him to order the controlled drugs in bulk without suspicion.

The agency also alleged Saran sold codeine cough syrup to local drug traffickers from the back of his warehouses and in one year bought more than 70,000 pints of the syrup, used by high school and college students.

The overwhelming majority of the drugs sold were pain killers, anti-anxiety drugs such as Valium, and weight loss drugs, DEA said. Most of them cost far more than they would if purchased legitimately and were bought by addicted people. Electronic bulletin boards exist that list Web sites where people can go to buy such drugs without having a legitimate prescription.

The DEA said drug orders were submitted online to thousands of Internet sites, then forwarded to a central site known as an Internet Facilitation Center. The central sites were run by the five people the DEA labeled as ringleaders.

The orders were placed on Web servers where doctors could sign in to approve them. Doctors were paid an average $20 per order.

The doctor's approval created the appearance of a doctor-patient relationship required in many states for drug prescriptions, DEA said. Doctors could make up to $1.7 million approving the illegal drug orders, the agency said.

All information was placed in a database used by pharmacies set up by those involved in the schemes to fill the orders, for a fee of about $10 to $15 a prescription for the pharmacist, DEA said. DEA said pharmacies could fill about 5,000 orders a day.

Orders were delivered to addresses that were actually empty buildings. The drugs were collected from those locations, then repackaged and distributed through a legitimate shipping service. One order placed as part of the investigation was delivered to the DEA building in Fort Worth, Texas.

Operators of the Internet pharmacies averaged more than $50,000 a day in profits from the drug orders, Tandy said.

The investigation also involved law enforcement officials from the FBI, Internal Revenue Service, Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Attorney's Office, including its Dallas office.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: DEA Cracks Down on Internet Sites Selling Medications Illegally [Re: veggie]
    #4694749 - 09/22/05 01:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

welp, there goes that idea. Good thing i read this, i was just about to order up a bottle of valium

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
Re: DEA Cracks Down on Internet Sites Selling Medications Illegally [Re: coda]
    #4695205 - 09/22/05 03:01 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That's it I'm moving to Canada.

Edited by Androctonus (09/22/05 03:02 PM)

InvisibleYoung_but_cool
Stranger
Male

Loc: Old Europe
Re: DEA Cracks Down on Internet Sites Selling Medications Illegally [Re: Androctonus]
    #4695308 - 09/22/05 03:17 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I cross my fingers my favorite pharmacy will be around for another few years.

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
Re: DEA Cracks Down on Internet Sites Selling Medications Illegally [Re: Young_but_cool]
    #4695379 - 09/22/05 03:38 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yea I just checked mine, at least the website is still up. It won't be long till there all gone. As long as the drug Manu. think they are loosing money they dip into their bribe coffers. The squeaky Politician gets the greasing.

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: DXM

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service