Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Hygrometer, Paul Stamets, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Grow Room Plans
    #4689872 - 09/21/05 01:09 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I want to do do a room grow of gourmet casings on shelves. The room i would be using has carpet, painted walls, a window, wall outlets, a cieling light fixture, and a short radiator running the length of the wall.

I plan to put plastic and perhaps linoleum over the carpet and seal it off as best i can, likely with a double sided tape along the floor moldings.

Id seal the window off with plastic the same way.

Now all that should be left are hard non-porous sufaces.

Bleach sterilizing the walls and cieling, and then managing condensation with sponges and bleach should do the walls, radiator, and outlets well enough. I dont think ill have problems with the light fixture either, esp. if i make it a bare-bulb.

There is also a walk-in closet that i may extend the linoleum and plastic into but use as a incubation area with a heater and shelving. If i do not use the room i will just use this closet. But it is of the same construction so a general scheme will apply to both.

Does this sound good so far?

i have a greenair humidistat and a digital hygrometer/thermometer. It would seem that, with fans, i could get away with using just the ultrasonic, positioned in the room itself, for humidity control. Of course, if this is not the case ill probably just run a cool-mist non ultra sonic in the room as well and let the ultra sonic trip off the humidistat. i could prob do 24/7 cool mist and trip the ultra sonic with the off the humidistat.

fans for circulation but it would seem that the volume of air in the room alone would be enough, so i wouldnt need exchange. I think stamets says that somewhere in mush cultivator.

heat will come from the radiator and be circulated by fans, but the thermostat will be in another room so i will just have to watch the temps. Ill probably adjust the thermostat to where the grow room will be ideal, if there is variance in temps.

light from the cieling fixture manually switched randomly.

gourmet mushrooms in casings on shelves positioned effeciently about the room.

how does this sound, now?
anything im forgetting?
any tips for doing this?

also, please link to informational grow room threads/teks as i have produced little to nothing with the search function.

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Room Plans [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #4689910 - 09/21/05 01:23 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Look through Scatmanrav's posts. He has a great writeup on his closet setup.

--------------------

OfflineMyc0Maniac
Stranger
    #4689915 - 09/21/05 01:25 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds pretty good to me. You may need a little more for humidity than you think. Other than that, I don't really see a problem with it.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4689919 - 09/21/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

you might want to think about putting plastic on the walls and ceiling as well. with the humidity levels the walls will definitely get some condensation on them, you'd probably have to be doing a lot of wiping.

i'm giving a greenhouse a go myself, setup as the fc. not one as big as i would have liked to get, but for the price a 6' 6"x6' 6"x8' will have to do. still working out all the details for rH, air exchange, and temp control but it should come together nicely. i also have a greenair temp and humidity controller, we shall see.
:peace:

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Grow Room Plans [Re: backupwards]
    #4689962 - 09/21/05 01:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

how will a hepa fair in the room's humidity? i may have to try to keep things sterile without it, no?

i thought about putting plastic over the walls and cieling but i cannot put it over the radiator and it would likely be too cold in the winter to go without the radiator. plus its extra money and hassle. id probablt be squeegeeing the walls still if they were plastic so that i didnt get drips and pooling. it will definitely be taken into consideration.

what are other people's experience with plastic vs nonplastic walls?

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#4689971 - 09/21/05 01:46 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

maybe repaint with paint meant for bathrooms walls first.

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Re: Grow Room Plans [Re: rod]
    #4690152 - 09/21/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If I were you i would line the floor of the closet and room w/plastic sheeting, as planned. I would use the closet as your dark warm incubation area, as planned.

But instead of making the whole room your fruiting area, I would frame a giant walk in box that takes up approx half the room.

For frame material use 2" pvc.... easy, cheap, and quick to make. Don't glue any joints and you can disassemble it, add to it, etc... Use heavy duty plastic sheeting and duct tape to make your walls floor, and roof for you indoor green-room.

The space left in the room that is NOT enclosed can be set up with a simple counter top and shelves. You can use this normal area for prepping and storing supplies, etc... Run a hepa in this part of the room and it will keep air purified in all three areas!

Just an idea....

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

Edited by Bamaman (09/21/05 07:56 PM)

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Grow Room Plans [Re: Bamaman]
    #4691435 - 09/21/05 07:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

you mean use the pvc box as a walk in fruiting chamber, right?

not a bad idea, i thought you were talking about an airlock at first, which i may still build. Its a good point about workspace. i may do this or try to work out a work area in another room. first ill try to figure out just what ill be doing that will require a separate workspace and how much space can be devoted in another room. But that is a rather good point about saving room for a workspace.

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
    #4691452 - 09/21/05 07:57 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

exactly.

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

InvisibleJackTackle
pinningmycologist

Loc: behind you
Re: Grow Room Plans [Re: Bamaman]
    #4691696 - 09/21/05 08:50 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Bamaman said:
If I were you i would line the floor of the closet and room w/plastic sheeting, as planned. I would use the closet as your dark warm incubation area, as planned.

But instead of making the whole room your fruiting area, I would frame a giant walk in box that takes up approx half the room.

For frame material use 2" pvc.... easy, cheap, and quick to make. Don't glue any joints and you can disassemble it, add to it, etc... Use heavy duty plastic sheeting and duct tape to make your walls floor, and roof for you indoor green-room.

The space left in the room that is NOT enclosed can be set up with a simple counter top and shelves. You can use this normal area for prepping and storing supplies, etc... Run a hepa in this part of the room and it will keep air purified in all three areas!

Just an idea....

that is a really cool idea :thumbup:

--------------------
Stay Blue!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Room Plans [Re: JackTackle]
    #4691739 - 09/21/05 08:57 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The painted walls, if kept at 85-95% humidity, wont last long. A few months sure..but your going to have damage after a bit. You could do a few nice coats of antifungal paint. If its sealed well, no paint chipping or wood exposed it may work. You may just want to hang tarps on the walls. You can get metal corner stripping, and just screw it up, tape over..works well and large tarps are cheap, and can do the floor as well. Then just fill it with shelves, and get yourself some sort of clean humidified air going in. A fogger might be an option you want to look into. You could also just set up about 4 green houses or so in one corner and have the other half as a workspace..you can fruit ALOT of mushrooms in a small place...an entire room will be more then a full time job easy..even 3 or 4 green houses would be. Good luck.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Grow Room Plans [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4691806 - 09/21/05 09:09 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i think i may do the plastic over walls, floor, and ceiling. no linoleum on the floor, though (extra expense). the wall with the radiator ill probably do from the radiator up and clean the radiator well.

i believe a fogger with a large resevoir may be a good idea, but im going to go with the cheapest thing that is still effective.

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4694208 - 09/22/05 10:03 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

will i the space in the box be enough air if shelving is put only along the sides? I may have to pipe a cool mist in from the outside or something to get air exchange.

any suggestions for air exchange teks for a large pvc tent with shelving along the perimeter?

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4694933 - 09/22/05 01:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

will a loose seal on the door and/or just opening the door once or twice everyday or two be enough air exchange if the tent is not packed full and thus has a large amount of air in it to begin with?

i remember reading that with rooms and large tents it is not entirely nescessary to look at air-exchanges per hour or to factor in air exchange at all due to the large volumes already present. Is this true?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4695149 - 09/22/05 02:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I use the closet with no cool mist, and no form of automated air exchange and have for a long time. Theres an ultrasonic fogger in the closet for humidity. Opening a few times a day is enough. If you have a large room, you'll want a fan inside blowing around to push that air around. Even if it kicks on when the fogger does or something, just to make sure you stir up any air pockets in there.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #4695163 - 09/22/05 02:50 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yes i will of course be circulating the air, but youre saying that the inner volume is enough air plus the exchanges of opening the door?

sounds good.

could you please reply in my thread about foggers, i am ignorant when it comes to foggers and would like to know what you use and how. thanks.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4695204 - 09/22/05 03:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It is enough, if you have as much open airspace as I do in the picture shown. That grow was done opening the door a few times a day. You can open and close it quickly to create a huge shockwave of air that will air it out in about 20 or so fans.

Also, for the pinset, fresh air is a little more important. So for that time, I leave the door wide open for 12 hours, the closed for 12, then open for 12, then closed again. I do it when its time to pin, a few days after they are fruited. Let them get lots and lots of air going in and out, and just mist them a few times to keep them moist. Helps pinsets alot if you can keep them nice and moist during the door closed times, and lots of fresh air during open times. This technique takes some work and practice, but it is possible. A form of automated fresh air exchange is usually best, but again, if you can read the casings they'll tell you what they need and you learn how to provide it, either by opening the door, or closing it and kicking on the fogger, or off, depending. I cant say this will work for you, and will work well for sure, but it does work for me.

--------------------

OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
    #4779059 - 10/09/05 11:21 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

you can build a big fogger setup for cheap..i saw one on here...it was a rubbermaid reservoir with a fogger in it hooked to a humistat..with a vent line going to the top of the chamber with an inline fan. Probably for greenhouses or something to take the humidity.....also you can just buy a greenhouse for 50 bucks thats fairly large off ebay for the grow area..with a zipper door and everything on it

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

OfflineNychthemeronster
Shroomery Addict
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North America
Re: Grow Room Plans [Re: JSshroom]
    #4779317 - 10/10/05 12:02 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Congratulations - You just revived a month old dead thread.

:rolleyes:

--------------------
The lost art of liberty

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Re: Grow Room Plans [Re: Nychthemeronster]
    #4780465 - 10/10/05 03:17 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

indeed, shits built already.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Hygrometer, Paul Stamets, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation