Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegreate
Stranger

Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation
    #4689117 - 09/21/05 04:40 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hi,
I'm New here. I am very facinated with mushroom so much that I want to try cultivating my own edible mushroom but I'm low in budget. Any body could suggest what edible strain I can use for my firt time?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: greate] * 1
    #4689121 - 09/21/05 04:47 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

it's not the spores that get expensive, it's the equipment.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: iateshaggy]
    #4689159 - 09/21/05 05:47 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

the most econimical way to get started with edibles is to get an edible kit from sporeworks, they sell prespawned substrate in a bag environment...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Offlinegreate
Stranger

Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #4691898 - 09/21/05 09:25 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

thank for the advises.
I'm planning to by spores but what type is the easiest to cultivate?
I'm prefering to cultivate on a material that I will made my self - not buying so I can save money.

Thanks
again

InvisibleCub_Mycologist
MycologistApprentice
 User Gallery

Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: greate]
    #4692013 - 09/21/05 09:49 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Just look up the PF tek man, i got started in the most broke moment of my life so unless your splitting packs of Ramen Pride i think you can make it, i figure you can do it for like 35-40 duckets and thats with the spores too.

--------------------
"I would never advocate Drugs, Alcohol, and Violence to anyone, but they sure worked for me."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
RIP
"Everything works, it just works better if youre not a jackass." Omnicracker

OfflinetotalM
Post Office Tyvek Advocator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: Cub_Mycologist]
    #4692320 - 09/21/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

ouch...iv split packs of ramen before...brought back old memories man... got a rating...

OfflineCryogeniczV
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: greate]
    #4692327 - 09/21/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

There are plenty of ways to grow mushrooms on a budget... Oyster are the cheapest and easiest edible to grow. Look around your house find things you already have, or go to thrift shops/second hand shops for used jars, or humidifiers, and other cool stuff.

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineIngSocTHC
 User Gallery

Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #4692372 - 09/21/05 11:07 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Now are you really looking to grow edibles or is that just some code for like black tar heroin???

--------------------
"Music your, music your the key.
Talk to who, plese talk to me.
Bring the voice of the rastaman
communicating to everyone" - Bob Marley

Offlineevolmachine
Wandering Star
Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: IngSocTHC]
    #4692468 - 09/21/05 11:22 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

LOL! Bah, heroin is for pussies!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: evolmachine]
    #4693910 - 09/22/05 06:03 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Why bother with the PF Tek? There are edibles that grow on paper, like tolet paper, or newspaper. Cheap shit, you can find it free all over. Check out the edibles forum, theres one here specifically for your questions.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4694415 - 09/22/05 11:05 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

There's a few ways you could go about this, well millions, but here's 2.
1. Find some straw, wheat is the best for me so far. Get a mesh laundry bag from Wal-Mart. Get a turkey thermometer and a big pot that will fit on your oven. Get some bags - gallon or two gallon zip locs, oven/ turkey bags, something to hold the prepared straw. Buy 3015 oyster mushroom spawn from Amycel, $20 + shipping. (There may even be sponsors with grain spawn prepared, definitely members here could make some too, if you find the right person. Don't forget to offer to pay for shipping + a little for them taking the time.) Get Lysol, some latex or nitrile gloves, a bottle of rubbing alcohol and some razor blades.

Once you've collected all this, put some straw into the laundry bag. Place it in the pot on the stove and cover the straw with water. You will need to weigh down the straw with something heavy, a rock or a brick, so it stays submerged. Now you turn on the heat, and put your turkey thermometer into the submerged straw. When the temp reaches 160 F, maintain the temp here for 1-2 hrs. Move pot to sink, and remove the mesh bag to the other side of sink to drain (It may be a good idea to clean the sink very well.)
During this time, clean your bath room like you've need to for so long. et everywhere, and clean EVERYTHING. (You've been meaning to anyway!) Once clean, spray liberally with Lysol.
Once the bathroom is clean, and the bulk of flowing water has been drained - while the straw is still hot - move the bag to the bathroom sink. Let cool for 4-6 hrs.

2. You can prepare the straw by soaking it in a tray that is large enough to hold a ziploc, or oven bag full of straw. Once it has been submerged. Place one cap full of bleach into the tray. Mix it all around with gloved hands, and allow to soak for 10-30 min. Now the straw is ready for use in instructions below, with no need to cool.

Once cool, break up your spawn. It will go from looking totally colonized to almost not colonized at all. This is normal. Take your ziploc (or oven or whatever) bag, spray the inside with Lysol. Put a layer of straw down. Then layer some grain spawn over the straw. Repeat this until the bag is full. Zip it closed. Wait a few hours for the moisture to balance, and then cut little X's in a diamond pattern, with an X about every 4 inches. Place the Bas into a clean, dark area for 10-12 days. Then allow for light, introduction of fresh air, and mist the bas several times a day. You will have mushrooms very soon!

If you insist on getting spores, you will have to buy a pressure cooker. You possibly will have to buy agar and petri dishes, and make a glove box to do sterile work. You'll have to buy grains of some sort, WBS seems to be the cheap alternative to organic rye berries. You can get Pennington's brand at Wally World for$10/ 50lbs. I have used that with success, though I like rye better. You'll have to buy jars, and filtering material (Tyvek, 3M MicroPore tape), or filter patch bags. Much of this applies with the mycelial syringes available from sponsors here, but this is all within your capability, if not your budget.

These are only 3 of millions of possible avenues of cultivation for you to follow, but I hope they hep you.
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Cheapest and Easiest Edible Mushroom cultivation [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4694452 - 09/22/05 11:17 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Oh, and I would also piont you to the little blog page that I put up;

www.echotech.org/greta

Greta gave me her page! Also since it's a blog, the first post is at the bottom of the page.

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation