Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsilocybebonsai
Not a Stranger
 User Gallery

humidity trays? and another question..ack!
    #4688746 - 09/21/05 12:08 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

so ive never cultivated mushrooms beforeand i am trying to learn as much as i can/gather supplies before i even attempt.. so anyways i am also getting into this hobbie of bonsai trees.. ive been looking at them online a bit lately and noticed a lot of them reccomend humidity trays to grow them in.. just like a normal pot.. has anyone ever used one of these or thought about it for producing humidity?

ive been reading the mushroom cultivator and have learned a lot.. but it seems like everyone on this forum strictly sticks to cakes... PF cakes? i dont know what the difference it.. anyways i dont even understand a lot of the lingo on this forum but anwyays ill catch on to that later.. is there anyone else who has read the mushroom cultivator for their experience and cultivated wtihout cakes but found easier ways to go about doing so from what the book says? the book almost makes it seem impossible to grow mushrooms in your home unless you have a specific room for it, but pictures/stories on this forum show/say otherwise so its kind of contradcting..

DAMN! sorry for this long essay with 2 small questions.. i always feel like i need to elaborate on the topic, like so...

thanks a lot guys i love seeing peoples success on here it makes me push harder to get my mushrooms fruiting and into my stomach and into the stomach of friends!

--------------------
My small photo collection here
My smaller grow log here
Some tips for taking photos of your progress when seeking help here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: humidity trays? and another question..ack! [Re: psilocybebonsai]
    #4688897 - 09/21/05 12:46 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

weclome to the shroomery dude.

Cakes are usually the same thing as PF-Cakes. Though you see a lot of grows around the shroomery of cakes, you should notice even more using a grain of some sort, be it WBS/MILLET, RYE, CORN, etc. some fruit just off of that grain, and many like myself prefer to spawn the grain to Horse Poo or Straw to get Bigger, more potent flushes.

A lot start off with the cakes, but many (also including myself) will say if you think you have the time to really learn this, skip cakes and try out a casing first. It really isn't that hard to do.

oH, and by the way, Paul Staments Mushroom Cultivator book is like a bible to have around here. BUT, get out of it what you want. I don't think it does as good of a job catering to home grows as it could, but it has some great info in there and many shroomerites have a copy.

Later bro.
CLUTCH

Offlinepsilocybebonsai
Not a Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: humidity trays? and another question..ack! [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4688974 - 09/21/05 01:05 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yeah im willing to really learn it i dont want to do it JUST for the mushrooms id like to expand my knowledge on the topic as a whole as well.. so what about wheat grass seed?? is this basically the 'bird seed' i read about on this forum as a grain?...... once again reffering to the mushroom cultivator, says that it is most commonly used because it promotes 'sclerotia' formation?

neat typing is fun and people probably love reading... i apreciate all the help i get more than anyone would know!!

--------------------
My smaller grow log here

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: humidity trays? and another question..ack! [Re: psilocybebonsai]
    #4689566 - 09/21/05 09:19 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think you mean rye grass seed. Rye grass seed is used for growing sclerotia. Only a few species of mushrooms produce sclerotia, and the most common of those is psilocybe mexicanna. Rye grass seed is not bird seed.

Bird seed is usually a mixture of millet and milo (sorghum) and sunflower seeds, sometimes with small amounts of other grain too like corn etc. Bird seed is probably the most commonly used grain for everything besides sclerotia production.

Wheat itself is a commonly used grain as well, although not as common as WBS, millet, rye and even popcorn.

Read that book and you will gain a lot out of it. But you also need to familiarize yourself with what small scale growers do. For that, read the grow faq and the forums. It will all come together.

Cakes are a little easier and less equipment intensive way to grow. You won't find any info on them in TMC, but all the info you need will be found on this site.

I say give yourself a few more weeks of reading that book and the forums and teks on this site. You'll have a great overview of all the methods and materials used, and can plan your own course of action.

good luck and welcome.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinepsilocybebonsai
Not a Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: humidity trays? and another question..ack! [Re: mycofile]
    #4690075 - 09/21/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

thanks a lot.. i can now let this thread die out!

--------------------
My smaller grow log here

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix