Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI]
    #4684573 - 09/19/05 10:47 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

3 teens seriously ill from seeds
September 19, 2005 - jsonline.com

Three Cudahy teens remained in intensive care Monday at St. Luke's South Shore Hospital after ingesting a seeds from a hallucinogenic plant growing in a local park, police said.

A fourth teen became ill but not to the extent of his friends, possibly because he chewed the seeds but did not swallow them, police said. Officials planned to have the boy direct them to the patch of moonflower plants in St. Francis before more kids tried to harvest seeds. The boys involved in the weekend incident were 16 and 17 years old.

Cudahy and St. Francis police were working with Milwaukee County Parks officials to locate the plants.

"My main concern is these kids don't get hurt or sick or worse," St. Francis Police Capt. Brian Kaebisch said. "We need to locate what it is and get rid of it."

According to Cudahy police, officers were called to investigate suspicious activity at about 8 p.m. Saturday at Cudahy Park, 3000 E. Ramsey Ave. They saw two teenage boys who appeared to be disoriented. The Cudahy Fire Department checked their blood pressure, found it elevated and took both to the hospital.

At the hospital, police received information about two more boys "acting out of control" in the 5500 block of S. Nicholson Ave. They, too, were taken to the hospital for treatment.

One boy's mother told officers that her son said he and the other three boys had taken the seeds after researching the moonflower plant on the Internet. Seven more suspected seeds from the plants were taken from the boys' homes.

Cudahy Police Lt. Dave Aamodt said police may seek charges against anyone who might have been manufacturing or delivering the drug to others, but right now the primary concern is the health of those affected by the incident.

The plants, Datura inoxia, are commonly known as moonflowers because they bloom at dusk. The active ingredient in the seeds is a depressant known as LSA, or lysergic acid amide, which causes elevated heart rate, difficulty breathing, blurred vision, hallucinations, some loss of muscular control and possibly coma.

The onset of symptoms can occur in about 30 to 60 minutes. Symptoms last from 24 to 48 hours.

The exact condition of the boys in intensive care is not known. Police said hospital officials were releasing no other information.

Meanwhile, officials at the Cudahy School District, where all four boys are enrolled, plan to give out information on the drug and its effects in the coming days to students, parents and faculty, Superintendent Jim Heiden said.

"We're trying to take steps to keep our students from doing this," Heiden said. "It's amazing, just amazing."

In August 2004, a 15-year-old Cudahy boy was hospitalized after consuming brownies laced with moonflower seeds.

A Milwaukee man, Justin Baumann, was later charged with felony manufacturing and delivery of non-narcotics after admitting that he had baked the seeds into the brownies and sold them for $10 each. He was convicted of the charge and sentenced to three years of probation, fined $500 and ordered to pay $1,781 in restitution to the victim and his mother, according to online state court records.

South Milwaukee also reported about the same time last year moonflower intoxication involving two girls, ages 16 and 17, who went to an emergency room for treatment, and a 19-year-old man, who reported hallucinations.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: veggie]
    #4684684 - 09/19/05 11:06 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The plants, Datura inoxia, are commonly known as moonflowers because they bloom at dusk. The active ingredient in the seeds is a depressant known as LSA, or lysergic acid amide, which causes elevated heart rate, difficulty breathing, blurred vision, hallucinations, some loss of muscular control and possibly coma.

LOL :lol: :roflmao: I dont know whos stupider, the kids or this reporter :lol:

Quote:

A Milwaukee man, Justin Baumann, was later charged with felony manufacturing and delivery of non-narcotics after admitting that he had baked the seeds into the brownies and sold them for $10 each. He was convicted of the charge and sentenced to three years of probation, fined $500 and ordered to pay $1,781 in restitution to the victim and his mother, according to online state court records.

what the fuck? who would bake datura seeds into brownies and sell them? he deserves the charges.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4684750 - 09/19/05 11:18 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

morning glory moonflower, day night...

yeah thats close

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: baraka]
    #4685288 - 09/20/05 04:55 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

hahaha...holy shit. where did these reporters go to school?

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: Organic]
    #4685336 - 09/20/05 05:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

a christian school for good little kids :laugh:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4685348 - 09/20/05 05:59 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

> who would bake datura seeds into brownies and sell them? he deserves the charges.

Not the brightest thing in the world, but the government set the stage. If safe drugs, such as cannabis were legal, this would not have happened.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: Seuss]
    #4685351 - 09/20/05 06:06 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

LSA my ass any questions see:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura.shtml

Should send this link to the papers editor.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: Androctonus]
    #4686147 - 09/20/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Good luck on getting any reply from the powers-that-be in the Journal-Sentinal. They'll print anything they think will get a rise out of people, factual or not.

Most faculty from my University of Wisconsin campus here refuse to talk to reporters there anymore, because their words are always being misqouted or taken out of context to further whatever agenda JS has.

They are truly slime over there.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4686337 - 09/20/05 02:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

lol..... misinformation is the worst evil of all.

--------------------

OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery
Loc: strawberry field
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4687080 - 09/20/05 05:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm from Milwaukee too, the JS is as much a rag as any newspaper... if you're reading someone elses bullshit reporting/opinion, consider the source... best case scenario is that it's a journalism student that learned something, and it's downhill from there to most writers that just want a paycheck for a STORY

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4687957 - 09/20/05 09:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thats true for all media. I have witnessed the filming of many interviews and the story that is aired is pieced together form whats taken to tell whatever story they prefer.The only think worse than talking to reporters is talking to cops. :mad2:

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: Androctonus]
    #4687970 - 09/20/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i was like, yah yah yah WHAT?????

"The plants, Datura inoxia, are commonly known as moonflowers because they bloom at dusk. The active ingredient in the seeds is a depressant known as LSA, or lysergic acid amide, which causes elevated heart rate, difficulty breathing, blurred vision, hallucinations, some loss of muscular control and possibly coma."

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: Mitchnast]
    #4689428 - 09/21/05 08:13 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

From the author of the report:

Quote:

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention and for providing these online sources for future reference. I spent most of my day yesterday trying to rectify the information after you brought it to my attention.

I found in checking this that the police originally sent a case to the district attorney's office in 2004 under the belief that the moonflower contained the LSA. It was incorrectly charged as such but then changed by the district attorney's office when the State Crime Lab report showed the seed did not contain any controlled substances.

You helped to educate more than one person yesterday. I appreciate the help.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #4689440 - 09/21/05 08:16 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

That's awesome :thumbup:

InvisibleMasonsChild
Fellow Traveler>^..^<

Loc: Upper Midwest
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: Boom]
    #4689620 - 09/21/05 09:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I spotted a bunch growing in someones front yard the other day. Don't think I'm gonna make any brownies though...

--------------------
Truckin' ain't for Sally's

InvisibleveggieM

#4689711 - 09/21/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Story update below from JS Online with a correction of the erroneous LSA information.

3 teens out of hospital after eating seeds
September 21, 2005 - jsonline.com

Three Cudahy teens who became seriously ill over the weekend after ingesting moonflower seeds were released from St. Luke's South Shore Hospital on Tuesday, police said.

Two of the boys, one 16-year-old and one 17-year-old, were admitted Saturday after being questioned by police at Cudahy Park, 3000 E. Ramsey Ave. Another 16-year-old taken to the hospital from the 5500 block of S. Nicholson Ave. after callers said two boys were acting strangely.

The second boy from Nicholson, another 17-year-old, was treated but did not suffer the more serious effects of the drugs as did his friends, who ended up in intensive care.

Cudahy police continued their investigation of the case Tuesday, believing the seeds came from a Datura inoxia plant the boys found growing in Greene Park in St. Francis. Officers and parks officials visited there Monday but did not locate the plants, according to Cudahy Police Lt. Dave Aamodt.

Police originally believed that the Datura plant contains lysergic acid amide, a hallucinogen, but the plant actually does not. The distinction is important because it can affect how a person is charged in a criminal case, as occurred last year.

"That's why it was charged the way it was," Aamodt said in reference to a similar case in 2004 in which a 15-year-old Cudahy boy who ate brownies that contained moonflower seeds was hospitalized.

The state's online records show that Justin Baumann was convicted of felony manufacturing and delivery of non-narcotics as was originally filed. However, court records show that the case was amended to a charge of felony placing foreign objects in eatables. The first complaint alleged the brownies were laced with LSA. The amended complaint does not.

Assistant District Attorney Daniel Gabler said he amended the complaint after receiving a State Crime Laboratory report on the case indicating the seeds in the 2004 case showed the presence of Atropine and Scopolamine, "which are not controlled substances," the report reads. He said the online records appear to involve a "clerical error."

Aamodt said the seeds in the latest case have yet to be tested.

Offlinesander
learning

Loc: MA and IA
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: veggie]
    #4696819 - 09/22/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
and a 19-year-old man, who reported hallucinations.

:lol:

OfflineLysergicRide
Excuse me while I kiss the sky!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: 3 teens seriously ill from seeds [WI] [Re: sander]
    #4697745 - 09/22/05 10:03 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

24-48 hour trip on LSA? WOW, I didn't know they were that potent... I think I'm going to run down to Wal-Mart to get some seeds for a "up to 48 hour" trip!

I wish...

--------------------
The fool on the hill sees the sun going down... And the eyes in his head see the world spinning around

"I can't tell if I'm coming up or down"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale