Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned
    #4684175 - 09/19/05 11:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid...-name_page.html

Tons of British aid donated to help Hurricane Katrina victims to be BURNED by Americans
From Ryan Parry, US Correspondent in New York

HUNDREDS of tons of British food aid shipped to America for starving Hurricane Katrina survivors is to be burned.

US red tape is stopping it from reaching hungry evacuees.

Instead tons of the badly needed Nato ration packs, the same as those eaten by British troops in Iraq, has been condemned as unfit for human consumption.

Katrina crisis victim

NEEDY: Evacuees from New Orleans

Advertisement
Falk AdSolution

And unless the bureaucratic mess is cleared up soon it could be sent for incineration.

One British aid worker last night called the move "sickening senselessness" and said furious colleagues were "spitting blood".

The food, which cost British taxpayers millions, is sitting idle in a huge warehouse after the Food and Drug Agency recalled it when it had already left to be distributed.

Scores of lorries headed back to a warehouse in Little Rock, Arkansas, to dump it at an FDA incineration plant.

The Ministry of Defence in London said last night that 400,000 operational ration packs had been shipped to the US.

But officials blamed the US Department of Agriculture, which impounded the shipment under regulations relating to the import and export of meat.

The aid worker, who would not be named, said: "This is the most appalling act of sickening senselessness while people starve.

"The FDA has recalled aid from Britain because it has been condemned as unfit for human consumption, despite the fact that these are Nato approved rations of exactly the same type fed to British soldiers in Iraq.

"Under Nato, American soldiers are also entitled to eat such rations, yet the starving of the American South will see them go up in smoke because of FDA red tape madness."

Child suvivor of Katrina

PAIN: Child survivor cries

The worker added: "There will be a cloud of smoke above Little Rock soon - of burned food, of anger and of shame that the world's richest nation couldn't organise a p**s up in a brewery and lets Americans starve while they arrogantly observe petty regulations.

"Everyone is revolted by the chaotic shambles the US is making of this crisis. Guys from Unicef are walking around spitting blood.

"This is utter madness. People have worked their socks off to get food into the region.

"It is perfectly good Nato approved food of the type British servicemen have. Yet the FDA are saying that because there is a meat content and it has come from Britain it must be destroyed.

"If they are trying to argue there is a BSE reason then that is ludicrously out of date. There is more BSE in the States than there ever was in Britain and UK meat has been safe for years."

The Ministry of Defence said: "We understand there was a glitch and these packs have been impounded by the US Department of Agriculture under regulations relating to the import and export of meat.

"The situation is changing all the time and at our last meeting on Friday we were told progress was being made in relation to the release of these packs. The Americans certainly haven't indicated to us that there are any more problems and they haven't asked us to take them back."

Food from Spain and Italy is also being held because it fails to meet US standards and has been judged unfit for human consumption.

And Israeli relief agencies are furious that thousands of gallons of pear juice are to be destroyed because it has been judged unfit.

The FDA said: "We did inspect some MREs (meals ready to eat) on September 13. They are the only MREs we looked at. There were 70 huge pallets of vegetarian MREs.

"They were from a foreign nation. We inspected them and then released them for distribution."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: ekomstop]
    #4685677 - 09/20/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That's okay, the British have some of the worst fucking food in the world n-e-waz.

Fucking liver pudding, boiling everything... REALLY bad food I tell you.

Bovine Sponge Encephalophy is some scary shit. You know you can't kill it? Because it's not alive, it's just a self replicating protein.

At the very least though, the vegetarian and non-beef rations should be distributed. Maybe make a flier warning people about the beef ones?

This is pretty dumb.

I mean...

"As of January, 2004, there have been 153 reported cases of vCJD worldwide"

http://www.science-city.com/prandbsemadc.html

ALOT more people are going to starve, or have to steal food/commit crimes to feed themselves, because of this.

But never expect the operations of the government to follow anything but the most backwards logic.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4686315 - 09/20/05 04:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The problem is they're not following any sort of logic, backwards or not - they're following regulations. The people who are in fact holding the food up can say "it's not us doing this - I'm just doing my job, following code", and avoid any responsibility for their harmful and stupid acts.

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: phi1618]
    #4686330 - 09/20/05 04:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Indeed, there is a sort of grim reassurance that bureaucrats are the same the world over.

<Sharp intake of air through teeth> "More than my jobs worth...."

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: psilomonkey]
    #4686396 - 09/20/05 04:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

They don't need food from fucking England or France or Thailand. We have more than enough food on our soil. We just have to get it to.....is there anybody left hungry now???? I doubt it. Even if there is, this isn't fucking Somalia. What fucking idiots. Thanks for nothing jackasses. You just shipped tons of food to the breadbasket of the world because less than 1% of the people got displaced from their homes. Any hunger crisis was over 2 weeks ago. Did I say idiots? They're FUCKING idiots. As stupid as Sean Penn in his rescue rowboat.

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey

Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4686405 - 09/20/05 04:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

However they did accept it, a polite 'no thanks' would have been fine. :smile:

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

#4686600 - 09/20/05 05:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

has been condemned as unfit for human consumption.

Is it that hard to read?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #4686668 - 09/20/05 05:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

All government is inherently stupid.

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey

Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: Los_Pepes]
    #4686680 - 09/20/05 06:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I guess I was reading from perspective of the article trying to make out it had something to do with BSE worries, which is a bit topical over hear as they just lifted an ban on older meat entering the food chain.

But when you stop to think these are probably the rations that the British army has left back home for the past two years, I think I would probably set fire to them myself given the choice.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #4686935 - 09/20/05 07:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

why cant we feed them? I just got 2 foot long subway sandwiches for dinner, and 3 double cheese burgers for lunch. I have seen no sort of "food drought" here, but im sure food is harder to get from Florida to LA, than from Britain

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4687158 - 09/20/05 08:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
They don't need food from fucking England or France or Thailand. We have more than enough food on our soil.

I suppose you are prepared to pay for the other food?

Quote:

Did I say idiots? They're FUCKING idiots. As stupid as Sean Penn in his rescue rowboat.

Pot => Kettle => Black

It is irrational to throw out food that can be used and stick the taxpayers for the bill of providing food or to buy other food with charity dollars which could be allocated for other purposes.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4687296 - 09/20/05 08:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but at this point I think you would have trouble convincing someone to eat a 2-year old ration pack when they can go across the street and get subway with their 2k debit card.

I think this is all the result of American media spin saying that New Orleanians are all so poor they can't even feed themselves. Europeans need to realize that stuff like that is usually embellishment to sell more papers or straight political agenda. There are many poor there but 99% have plenty of access to basic food.

Edited by Catalysis (09/20/05 08:58 PM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: Catalysis]
    #4687719 - 09/20/05 10:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

They still should have been given to anyone who wanted them. What was the point of burning them if they were still good?

If nothing else, we should have sold them back to the U.N. :smirk:

Hey, maybe we should ask for them, and then we can all eat as much as we want of the questionable quizine and then we would all have informed opinions at least.

Instead of the usual circle jerk that goes on around here.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4687851 - 09/20/05 10:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
They don't need food from fucking England or France or Thailand. We have more than enough food on our soil.

I suppose you are prepared to pay for the other food?

I already have. There is no shortage of food

Quote:

Did I say idiots? They're FUCKING idiots. As stupid as Sean Penn in his rescue rowboat.

Pot => Kettle => Black

Don't quite get this reference Little Black Kettle. Might actually be an ill-disguised flame. That's Ok. I have never had a problem with flames from retards. Was that ill-disguised???? Or plain enough???? Of course, if that wasn't a flame this isn't relevant

It is irrational to throw out food that can be used and stick the taxpayers for the bill of providing food or to buy other food with charity dollars which could be allocated for other purposes.

What they did was stick us with the bill for throwing out their poorly considered effort at assistance. FUCKING MORONS. I've spent far too much of my life thanking people for shit I didn't need or want and then having to dispose of it. We don't now, nor have we ever, needed food aid. Get a fucking clue.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4687925 - 09/20/05 11:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Perhaps we shouldn't have accepted it if we were just gonna throw it out?

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: Redstorm]
    #4687941 - 09/20/05 11:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Perhaps we shouldn't have accepted it if we were just gonna throw it out?

If you remember correctly, they tried to refuse unnecessary aid but that was met with much bitching and moaning about how the US is too arrogant and ungrateful, etc, etc, ad nauseum. Eventually they had no choice but to accept everything offered. Live and learn I guess...its just too bad most people have already forgotten.

I think everyone who complained about the US not accepting aid should be forced to eat that untracable, uncertified ration crap until its gone. Maybe next time they will think with their heads.

Edited by Catalysis (09/20/05 11:19 PM)

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4688001 - 09/20/05 11:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not one of those people. If you looked back, you would see I said numerous times that we didn't need aid.

They should have just stopped the food at the border and not let it in. That way we wouldn't have to pay for burning it.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Tons Of Katrina Relief Food From Europe To Be Burned [Re: Redstorm]
    #4688460 - 09/21/05 01:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I guess the government thought that if they just let the food in, it would quell the outrage until people calmed down a bit and then they would either send it back or destroy it. Thats politics for you. When the american people overwhelmingly demand something, the gov. has to follow through even though they probably knew all along it would be pointless.

I know you were against it. I was just pointing out the irony that many of the same people who were complaining about refusing aid are now complaining that we are not using the aid and we should have never requested it in the first place. Oh well, the masses are asses.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4688485 - 09/21/05 01:08 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
Oh well, the masses are asses.

Amen.

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

Loc: Classified
    #4689331 - 09/21/05 08:57 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

psilomonkey said:
I guess I was reading from perspective of the article trying to make out it had something to do with BSE worries,

That is why they burned it, due to the threat of Mad Cow disease.
On one hand maybe it was a bit of an over reaction. If people truly are starving (which I doubt) then at least give them a choice if they want to eat it or not. Let them know there might be a risk to their health if they consume it.

But the cynic in me is saying that you can't blame the Feds for burning it. We have a situation where most of that food would have went to African-Americans, 70% of which already think that the governments dismal response was due to race, and we are then going to give them food that is feared to have the Mad Cow virus in it.

It would not be long until some group would make the charge of attempted genocide on African-Americans by the U.S. Government. Maybe I am being overly cynical but it was probably a good thing to burn it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion