Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom
*sigh* i need some reassurance people (PICTURE POSTING TIME!)
    #4683895 - 09/19/05 10:46 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Alrighty damnit. :smile:

I have been racking my brain to get "THE BEST SETUP" for my little shroomies, and have been trying figure out the best way to humidify my tubs. Because humidity and fresh air exchange can make or break ya!

Well, at first, I decided on perlite. Then I thought about fresh air exchange and that I wouldn't be able to fan 3 or more times a day one the days I work 12-14 hours.  Then I thought about air pumps. Then I thought about cool mist (and even bought one). Well, both of those are going to be just too loud in the room I am growing in and will attract attention, no doubt. (Even though I live alone, blah.)

SO, making the long story short. Anyone have any good pics of their grows (either cakes or casings) that have been grown in straight perlite situations without fanning 50 billion times a day?  I only have a few days left to figure out my plan. My cakes are FINALLY almost there!

Thanks all! Help out a newb. :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinerygo796
Meat Popsicle
 User Gallery

Re: *sigh* i need some reassurance people (PICTURE POSTING TIME!) [Re: tokey666]
    #4684019 - 09/19/05 11:04 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If you were to fan it before you left and after you got back from work and just as much as possible keep fanning with perlite you should be fine. You could get some computer fans and make some holes with polyfil but may be too loud. I think that just fanning when you can you should get a decent yield

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: *sigh* i need some reassurance people (PICTURE POSTING TIME!) [Re: tokey666]
    #4684063 - 09/19/05 11:11 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

If you have the convenience of being able to attend your grow, here's my advice on the best setup: A rubbermaid tub and a hand sprayer. That's it. Fan a few times daily, and mist the casing surface as necessary. No perlite, no humidifiers, and no timers. Here are some of my results with this method:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Re: *sigh* i need some reassurance people (PICTURE POSTING TIME!) [Re: Holydiver]
    #4684158 - 09/19/05 11:25 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Holydiver, if I got those results, I would be completely happy. If the air did not escape, wouldn't the humidity just stay in there anyway? Or are there different types of "humidity" such as that from perlite or other methods? I might just do the misting whenver I open to fan and say screw the lite of per. What about cakies? Same?

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4684186 - 09/19/05 11:31 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The old air does escape, when you fan out the chamber. That's generally when you want to mist, because fanning displaces moisture. See, that's the problem most people encounter when they fan the daylights out of their grow: they don't replace the lost humidity. Fanning is all you have with this setup, don't go cutting corners there or you'll have a stagnant breeding ground on your hands. You don't need perlite with casings. Misting the casing surface alone is enough, and if you need more then just mist the chamber walls too.

No comment on the cakes, don't use 'em anymore and wouldn't recommend them to anyone either.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: *sigh* i need some reassurance people (PICTURE POSTING TIME!) [Re: Holydiver]
    #4686532 - 09/20/05 05:20 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Holdydiver,

when you mist, do you try to avoid misting on the mushrooms themselves, or do you just try and get the mister underneath and hit the casing layer?

Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Re: *sigh* i need some reassurance people (PICTURE POSTING TIME!) [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4688074 - 09/20/05 11:44 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

No more pictures out there? I figured more people would want to show off!

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4688367 - 09/21/05 12:39 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

PICS...OK

I used a similar setup to Holydiver, only I put the container in a PMP that was originally made for cakes.

Pump, air wands, and hydroton with water bubling underneath. The holes were at the top of the PMP.

Even though I had the airstones pushing air through the whole time, I still fanned maybe 1 or 2 times a day.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation