Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI?
    #4682808 - 09/19/05 04:32 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

My laptop has a PCMCIA wireless connection card (brand SWEEX) and the difference between the direct connection upstairs and the wireless connection downstairs is pretty large.

Shouldn't a online shooter be playable down and upstairs? Why is the connection so laggy?

Looking 4 tips.

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: Fliquid]
    #4682911 - 09/19/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It depends on what kind of wireless you are using.

There's A, B, and G standards. A isn't used much to my knowledge, so I doubt you have that.

Wireless-B is only 11 Mbps. Compare that with 100 Mbps for wired LAN connections...

Wireless-G is 54 Mbps, so it's quite a bit faster, but also more expensive and not as widely used as the B standard (though it's becoming more common). There's also some proprietary 150 Mbps standards but they aren't used too much at all yet.

You probably have a Wireless-B setup, in which case there is no way you are going to increase the speed beyond 11 Mbps. That's the physical limit of your hardware.

Online shooters need as small of a ping time as possible (note this is quite different than actual speed of the line!). Wireless will probably always have slightly higher ping than a wired connection, even if the speeds are the same.

So play your FPS games on a wired connection :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineManicDelirium
MysteriousMycologist TechDeviant

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flawda
Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: trendal]
    #4684057 - 09/19/05 09:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yea the G is much faster....if you have a G router try a Wireless-G Range Expander to extend the wireless range, they work great...:thumbup:

--------------------
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" --long live the great Gonzo

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: trendal]
    #4685195 - 09/20/05 03:27 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the info trendal, I have a Wireless G 54 (and a Sweet router btw).

Any pc tweaking tips maybe?

Running WINXP HOME + 2.4 GHz 256 MEM 40 GB HD.

--------------------

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Loc: Central Texas
Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: Fliquid]
    #4685409 - 09/20/05 07:01 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Well, the speed of the wifi doesn't really matter when it's several times faster than your Internet connection. look on the Internet for some third party firmware that allows you to boost the power on your antenna. That'll do it for yah.

J♠
Male User Gallery

#4685560 - 09/20/05 09:23 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Like I said, wireless will ALWAYS have at least a slightly higher ping than a wired connection - there's nothing you can do about that.

As a test, I just pinged my router from my computer (on a wired connection) and from my laptop (wireless). The laptop had a ping almost ten times the ping from my PC. There's really nothing I can do to change that - it's just the way wireless works, with higher latency.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

#4686535 - 09/20/05 03:21 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Really? I ping my wireless router from my fathers resturant 50 yards away and I get avg. 23 ms. It doesn't make a difference, you either don't have a decent router or have a bad signal between the machine and the router.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: Rustifer]
    #4686595 - 09/20/05 03:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Distance from the router will have absolutely no effect on the ping time - the signal, once in the air, travels at light speed (being, after all, light) so the time taken from signal generation to signal reception is meaningless on the scales of WLAN.

The increased ping is caused by the time it takes to generate the signal plus the time it takes to decode it on the other end.

23ms is HUGE for a LAN. I get <1ms (yes, that's LESS than 1ms) ping on my wired connection, and about 10ms ping on my wireless - less than half of what you get!.

If a LAN connection has a latency over 5ms I'd be concerned. If a LAN connection had a 10ms latency, I'd be trying to fix whatever's broken.

Wireless connections will probably, for the near future, always have a latency OVER 10ms.

--------------------

Edited by trendal (09/20/05 03:38 PM)

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

#4686674 - 09/20/05 03:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

on a lan that isn't 2 computers to a router 10 feet away, 23 is not high for a lan, expecially mine which has 6 machines on it, I play games on my laptop all over the place, with less than 40 ms pings to the servers.
(go set up a 100 square mile wifi network, and tell me distance and objects between the antenna's dont' effect ping times)

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: Rustifer]
    #4686789 - 09/20/05 04:31 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

tell me distance and objects between the antenna's dont' effect ping times

I never said anything about interference and objects in the way...

Obviously interference of any kind will result in higher latency (and/or reduced bandwidth).

My LAN has 5 computers, two routers, and a hub on it. There is a cable run of around 75' between the two routers. All of my LAN-connected computers get pings (to any other unit on the network) of about 1ms.

Now this entire thread is about HOME NETWORKS and playing games, so I don't see the need to introduce the confusion of LARGE LANs into the picture. Duh, obviously a LAN of 200 PCs spread over a large office is going to have higher ping times. Fortunately, that's not what we're talking about - we're talking about HOME networks using <10 computers and probably no more than 100' of cable run.

I also have two laptops running off a Wireles-B router. They both get ping times (to eachother, or anywhere else on the network) of around 10ms.

Playing FPS over a wireless connection is by no means impossible, nor is it impossible to get a relatively nice ping. It all depends on the server ping from your network, of course. Reguardless, wireless ping times WILL BE HIGHER THAN WIRED PING TIMES.

--------------------

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

#4686812 - 09/20/05 04:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

No, this isn't about wifi ping times, it's about him lagging, and he was wondering if his wifi connection was the problem. and I ruled it out as a no.

J♠
Male User Gallery

#4686854 - 09/20/05 04:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

No, actually, you haven't ruled it out.

I have consistently been able to demonstrate that WiFi ping times WILL BE HIGHER than a similar but wired LAN connection. So his WiFi connection could easily be the problem.

In fact if you read his initial post he mentions that the difference between his wired and WiFi connections is "pretty large". If he's NOT having any problems on his wired connection but IS having latency issues with his WiFi connection, it is most likely something to do with his WiFi.

--------------------

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

#4687259 - 09/20/05 06:40 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

he's lagging in online games, +20ms to your ping is not lagging, nor a difference that a human can notice.

Edited by Rustifer (09/20/05 06:43 PM)

J♠
Male User Gallery

#4687454 - 09/20/05 07:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

But as we have also established, there is an apparently WIDE range of possibilities for pings with WiFi connections.

Mine are all around 10ms. Yours is 24ms. His could be 40ms for all we know.

An additional 40ms ping time could easily double your ping in many online games, or push it over that magic 100ms point.

--------------------

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

#4738001 - 09/30/05 06:02 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'll ping my router on all my systems.

:peace:

And thanks so far btw! :smile:

--------------------

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #4747325 - 10/02/05 10:42 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'm with trendal on this one. The extra latency introduced by the wireless connection is absolutly the cause of the difference in lag he is experiencing in the game. You would have to have absolulty never have played a fast paced FPS to say an extra 10-20ms of latency in a FPS isnt noticable.

If your 6 computer home network is averaging 23ms pings you might want to start looking the machines over to spyware or some windows service that is constantly brodcasting (sending data to the broadcast address) for some insane reason (most likely not configured properly).

Edited by windex (10/02/05 10:49 PM)

OfflinePSiFr33k
Psilly Guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth (i think)
Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: windex]
    #4748990 - 10/03/05 11:35 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Umm trendal =) you should know better then that first response , Depending on his internet connection , providing it isnt t1 t2 t3 ETC there is no possible way that he would be running 11 mbs on an internet connection, therefore the wireless network wont hinder his internet connection one bit , hes prolly using a wireless G seeing that wireless B is obsolete and not really around all that much anymore , also you might want to check out your computer for spyware , alot of times that will slow down your connection a good bit , also your location , like if your in canada or europe and ur trying to play on US servers then your going to be running a high ping due to the distance that is between the client (you) and the server

--------------------

While i was in the grass, i picked them..

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: PSiFr33k]
    #4749411 - 10/03/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

A 23 ms ping isn't high, considering I have plenty of traffic on my network. I have another kid playing games/downloading, me downloading, that was just what i got at that time, no spyware, most of the machines run linux (gentoo). I'm the only person on the network now and it's >10 ms. The only engine that 20 ms makes a noticeable difference is Half-Life, and that's due to poor netcode. I play UT and Q3 based games fine on European servers.(mind you the fastest transatlantic ping is 63 ms.)

Fluid do you know if you're getting any packet loss, if your router has walls or shit between it and the computer try checking on google for some third party firmware updates that allow you to increase the power that's pushed through your antenna.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: PSiFr33k]
    #4749715 - 10/03/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

providing it isnt t1 t2 t3 ETC there is no possible way that he would be running 11 mbs on an internet connection, therefore the wireless network wont hinder his internet connection one bit

That's not true (and also not what I said).

I said that he couldn't increase his speed beyond 11mbps (for 802.11b) because that was all the hardware would allow. He asked in his original post if he could increase the speed of his network.

I also said that wireless could cause gameplay issues due to the higher ping times found on any wireless network. The wireless connection could hinder a latency-dependent connection (like online gaming) if it adds too much latency to the connection. In my experience a wireless connection will have latency 2-10x higher than a LAN connection of similar length.

--------------------

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #4755869 - 10/04/05 07:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The network I'm currently working on has a <1ms ping to any server in the building (with around 400 people using it) a 4-6ms ping to the exchange server across town (which another 400 people at that location are using) and the exchange server across the state im finally getting up to the 20ms pings (which has a few less with 250 peope)

Anything inside any of the buildings hit the servers in under 1ms. Mind you were talking hundreds of people, not 5 home systems. So like I've said before, yes 23ms for LAN is pretty weak, considering we have quicker times on our WAN.

On the LAN segments there is constant traffic; email, profiles being sent, saved and updated, files being shared between departments, the intranets worksite traffic, and STILL is under 1ms... p

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Re: WIFI - Any idea how I can increase the internet connection on my WIFI? [Re: windex]
    #4755930 - 10/04/05 07:56 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yes, and I bet your network speed is gigabit, not 58mbps.

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #4755945 - 10/04/05 08:00 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yes, and I bet your network speed is gigabit

heh, we wish... ; ;

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

#4755951 - 10/04/05 08:03 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well putting a heavy load on a 58mbps network isn't very hard. And concidering I was sitting between a kitchen, dining room, and a whole house and the router, that's not bad, I'm pinging it from my bed right now and it's all >10 ms.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale