Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Grow closet/greenhouse type question
    #4680482 - 09/19/05 02:37 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ok so im writing a book and the main character wants to make a grow chamber in his closet that can support 9 10lb hpoo casings. He plans to make it 2.5'deep x 4' wide x 4.5'tall to fit these casings. He has a few questions though.

For stealth reasons it must be built in a closet that is the hottest part of the apartment. It stays at at least 75F even with the shitty air cond in the place set at 65F. So he is looking for ideas to lowering the temp 5-10F. He has an old refrigorator that is about 2'x2'2.5'.

1.He was thinking about just setting this next to the chamber and basically wrapping the "skin" of the chamber around the fridge. Assuming there will be sufficient air exchange to circulate the cool air is there any reason this wont work? Would a fridge be able to lower the temp just like 5-10F?

2.What should the skin be made of to keep it cool? Will real thick plastic lining like 5-6m suffice? What else could he use for the skin to keep the cold from getting out?

3.Does he really need to provide humidity if there is very little open space? If only enough room is left for the caps to grow like in a rubbermaid tub, and air exchange is provided 1-2 times an hour does he need to provide more humidity?

4.Can anyone tell him where to find a good electrical timer so he could set it for like 2-5 min on 18-25 min off or something like that? In the book he couldn't find it anywhere on the internet.

The dude in the book has a lot of hpoo comin soon and needs this built in a few weeks. If anyone experienced with this type of setup or this kind of semi-automated grow please let me know what you think of these plans for the story. I want it to sound authentic. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
Re: Grow closet/greenhouse type question [Re: flow]
    #4680501 - 09/19/05 02:44 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

good luck with the book!!.. :cheers:..  what are you gonna call it??

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
    #4680612 - 09/19/05 03:18 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"For stealth reasons it must be built in a closet that is the hottest part of the apartment. It stays at at least 75F even with the shitty air cond in the place set at 65F. So he is looking for ideas to lowering the temp 5-10F. He has an old refrigorator that is about 2'x2'2.5'. "

75 is fine for fruiting. i beileve it in the optimal temperature range.(assuming you are growing cubes)

"1.He was thinking about just setting this next to the chamber and basically wrapping the "skin" of the chamber around the fridge. Assuming there will be sufficient air exchange to circulate the cool air is there any reason this wont work? Would a fridge be able to lower the temp just like 5-10F?"

there have been storries of people growing in refridgerators but i dont know how it would apply to you. also i could be totally wrong but i was under the impresion that refridgerators put out alot of c02, or maybe another sort of unwanted gas.

"2.What should the skin be made of to keep it cool? Will real thick plastic lining like 5-6m suffice? What else could he use for the skin to keep the cold from getting out?"

again, if you have 75 degree temps you should be well set. and i beleive someone just did a write up with pictures of a closet conversion(it looked like they were using a tarp)

"3.Does he really need to provide humidity if there is very little open space? If only enough room is left for the caps to grow like in a rubbermaid tub, and air exchange is provided 1-2 times an hour does he need to provide more humidity?"

mushrooms rely partially on humidity to grow

"4.Can anyone tell him where to find a good electrical timer so he could set it for like 2-5 min on 18-25 min off or something like that? In the book he couldn't find it anywhere on the internet."

i think home depot has like a 99 function timer for around $19.99

"The dude in the book has a lot of hpoo comin soon and needs this built in a few weeks. If anyone experienced with this type of setup or this kind of semi-automated grow please let me know what you think of these plans for the story. I want it to sound authentic. Thanks. "

just do some searches for shit like "closet grownig" "automation" "martha setup" and that sort

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow closet/greenhouse type question [Re: A0999]
    #4680644 - 09/19/05 03:26 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Bear in mind, the back of a refrigerator is the condenser, so it gets hot. If you use a fridge that way, be sure to only have the cool side in your grow area. You can also lower the temp and increase humidity by placing a wet towel over a box fan. A coolmist humidifier will also slightly lower the temperature by evaporation. You can get a cycle timer and lots of other grow room goodies here: http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls2.shtml
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Re: Grow closet/greenhouse type question [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4681179 - 09/19/05 10:44 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"75 is fine for fruiting. i beileve it in the optimal temperature range.(assuming you are growing cubes)"

not for 10lb hpoo casings, it needs to be at least as low as 70F.

Edited by flow (09/19/05 10:46 AM)

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4681189 - 09/19/05 10:53 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Not for fruiting. For incubating it should be lower. I fruit all my poo casing, anywhere from 10 to 40 pounds, at 75 degrees, don't see any problems,

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Re: Grow closet/greenhouse type question [Re: HippieChick]
    #4681371 - 09/19/05 12:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

"Not for fruiting. For incubating it should be lower. I fruit all my poo casing, anywhere from 10 to 40 pounds, at 75 degrees, don't see any problems,"

really? so you incubate at lower than you fruit at? i have never heard of this even with hpoo. how thick of a susbtrate do you use?

with a 3-4 in deep substrate he usually fruits at 70-75F and this has worked fine. His main problem is that the LOWEST the closet gets is 75F, it gets up to 85F sometimes. Also he has noticed that at temps around 75F he gets tons of mites that come attack his casings so to control this he likes to fruit at 70F. Maybe he uses too deep a subtrate producing to much heat?

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4681387 - 09/19/05 12:21 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

you misunderstood what she said, colonizing temps should be lower but fruiting temps should be the same.
:peace:

Edited by backupwards (10/09/05 11:14 PM)

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Re: Grow closet/greenhouse type question [Re: backupwards]
    #4682809 - 09/19/05 06:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

umm i dont know if i misunderstood her but i definetly dont understand u.

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
    #4682813 - 09/19/05 06:33 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So..... anyone got any ideas?

OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
    #4778959 - 10/09/05 11:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah..increase air circulation to the closet by Hepa filter blowing in from a colder part of the house...

back up plan...check out I think agar or magash wine bottle cooling tec...get a plug in wine chiller and stick a water balloon in it...viola colder

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4779511 - 10/10/05 12:28 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The thing with poo is , as the mycelium ripes through it colonizing , it generates a lot of heat. I have seen as high as a 12 degree spike in the core.
So, when incubating larger poo bulks, you can do it at room temp. Once the poo is 100% colonized, the heat generated decreases so you can still fruit at 70-75. Same as you incubated at.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Edited by HippieChick (10/10/05 12:49 AM)

Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

Loc: midwest of ...
Re: Grow closet/greenhouse type question [Re: HippieChick]
    #4779600 - 10/10/05 12:38 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

hahaha writing a book, i read this as you sugar-coating yourself not growing, similar people say "my cat is growing" or my "my dog is..."

lmao, if you are actually writing a book, that's bad fuckin ass, i wanna read it

--------------------
P. Cubensis Growth Parameters
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation