Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSoulsvr
Stranger
Really really really a NEWBIE!
    #4679963 - 09/19/05 01:04 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

:cool: Howdy All:
I am really new to this. I have a friend that is trying this. For the first attempt he used 4 jars. He followed the book to the tee. Every thing started out great. The jars collinised great in about 4 weeks. The jars where solid white and not contamination.
He took the top layer of vermiculite off put the top back on tapped it lightly. The cakes fell lose. GREAT.
Well he put them in my humidity tent and everything that was white imediately turned black. no color at all. He also noticed that his cakes where probably way to wet.. Being the waste not person he is, he thought he would not give up.
So he got 4 small bread pans , put about 1/2" of vermiculite on the bottom, broke the cakes up, then covered that up with 1/2" verniculite.
Now 2 weeks later. the white fuzz has fully colonized the substraight. Should I keep this stuff? what should I do now?
he has started his secog attempt being much more careful.
Please help. I think he can do this. the only thing he has a problem is from the jars to the caps. Noone is really clear what to do to produce fruiting.
Another delima. He is trying 2 things at once. besides jars he is using some bags with filters and syringe ports .  he has a bag fully colanized, but does not not what to do next. will they fruit in the bag doing nothing? should he just bring it out in the light.
Please any thoughts.
BuCk

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Really really really a NEWBIE! [Re: Soulsvr]
    #4680490 - 09/19/05 02:39 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Well he put them in my humidity tent and everything that was white imediately turned black.

Black....Or was it blue?

Black = A very dangerous contamination...

Are you sure it wasn't a deep blue color?

-Gnostic

Offlineshafty
fungus is urfriend
Male
    #4680550 - 09/19/05 02:59 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

this might help:
Birth thru Harvest

Offlineevolmachine
Wandering Star
Re: Really really really a NEWBIE! [Re: shafty]
    #4680572 - 09/19/05 03:08 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

So is it you or your friend who's growing :smile:  Gotta love this friend of a friend mentality...

So basically you cased a contammed cake and it still grew through the casing layer as white mycellium?  Are you sure it wasn't blue? Bruising happens if humidity is too low or if you manhandled them too much :smile:

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4681451 - 09/19/05 12:46 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

well, first things first.....before trying to grow, your friend should have read everything he could. That way he wouldn't be in the position of having cakes and not knowing what to do with them.....but whatever, it happens.

Anyway, if the whole cake turned black, and you are sure it was black, it should have been tossed immediately. If the sub was "too wet" as you said, then it could have been wet spot or possibly black mold.

All because it was cased, doesn't mean the contamination is gone....you are just growing contams, which can be dangerous.

If you are sure it was black and not bruising (blue marks on the cakes), you need to toss that whole pan A.S.A.P.

Next time around your friend needs to do some more reading before trying it.

I know he probably wants to get started on the project, and may be very excited, but being ill prepared will almost always result in failure.

GL TO YA!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation