Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Acid...first time. [Re: jinc]
    #469800 - 11/26/01 05:12 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I hear your dissapointment, but you demonstrate both faith and wisdom by your decision. You've got a whole lifetime ahead of you - don't compromise it by interferring with a critical growth period during adolescence. You have to struggle from what Jean Piaget and developmental psychologists call the passage from Concrete Operational Thought to Formal Operational Thought. Schools measure this attainment of logical thinking in most states by the mastery of algebra (with which I had a terrible time). All shamanistic cultures prepare their novitiates. Study and prepare. You'll thank yourself. Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Acid...first time. [Re: DXMHEAD420]
    #469801 - 11/26/01 05:16 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

You've already evidenced poor judgement with your uncaring and rebellious response. You oughta respect your experienced elders.

--------------------

InvisibleKid
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Acid...first time. [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #470024 - 11/26/01 12:43 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

> Maybe YOU don't need a HS diploma,

I think they made a comedy film about this in the last year or so. Basically, in some jurisdictions, since psychotherapists don't necessarily make statutory diagnoses, they don't need any professional qualifications. Though, sure a psychotherapist could be an M.D.

Though I do rescind my implication that you were uneducated, and apologize, as well.

OfflineDXMHEAD420
veteran
Loc: ohio
    #470384 - 11/26/01 07:06 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

no i haven't. you cannot make a blanket statement like it will fuck up everyones development if taken as an adolescent. i was and am more mature than most others my age. i dont know if this has anything to do with my development not being stunted, but its not.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #471035 - 11/27/01 10:57 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

hmmmmm...
well, cannabis has been called a "minor" psychedelic... but the ASCs induced by the "majors" are at least an order of magnitude heavier...
there is a lot to be said for waiting until you are "grown up" --- whether that is 17 or 19 or 21, well...
and as to first encounters with profound ASCs... well, some folks have gotten in pretty deep using techs like meditation, hypnosis, prayer, ecstatic dancing, magick, etc...
do spend some time checking out the literature of the last 50+ years on tripping mindscapes (some on line sources might include csp, psychedelic library, the fane, erowid, lycaeum, etc... and don't forget your local public library --- if they don't have it, they can order it for you via interlibrary loan service... and there are several online booksellers who specialize in psychedelic titles...)
anyways, ya don't have to try to fit a lifetime of tripping in before you turn 21, ok? nothing wrong with waiting until you are a nominal "adult" (fwiw...) --- i was in college before i smoked, drank, or tripped (and at that, sometimes i wish that i had waited a bit longer, hehheh...)
~~~
& probably the most important single thing you can do is to "pay attention"

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #471879 - 11/27/01 11:37 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

i think dxmhead said it best: if you think you're ready to trip, then by all means do it.

but know that you really want to do this. make sure to read around a bit (if you already haven't) and get a feel for what you're gettin into. i first tried shrooms right after my 17th birthday and was great. i can honestly say that it has done good things for me. lsd on the other hand i have no experience with, partly because some friends who had tried it had a bad experience... and it basically scared me away. i'm 19 now, and i would try lsd should the opportunity present itself, perhaps this june/july/august (yea that's summer time baby!.. on a side note: i think i'm going to become a teacher because they get lots of vacation and it seems like a job i could be happy doing). so if you feel like you want to do it, go ahead - just make sure you're in a comfortable place and i definitely think it imperitive you are not around your parents (unless they are completely cool with you tripping in the house).

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Acid...first time. [Re: DXMHEAD420]
    #472086 - 11/28/01 05:43 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

You, the subject, are not in a position to evaluate whether your development along certain lines (cognitive, affective, social, moral or spiritual) has deviated from the statistical norms. Moreover, if you are still in extended adolescence, which in the US can be mid-20's, then 'the jury is still out.' So you can protest away, but if you're a typical white, late-adolescent male in the US, then you fit into a typical population. Irregardless of how "mature" you 'think' or 'feel' yourself to be compared to your chosen peers, your chronological age at this stage of development determines far more than are willing to accept. Introducing psychedelic 'change agents' before one's essential ego structure has become fairly stable (i.e., mature), has an underminining effect. Transcendence requires a strong resilient ego structure to 'go beyond,' not the absence of one to begin with. The latter condition characterizes a whole continuum of personality disorders which effect the very 'fabric' of one's personality. These mis-formed personalities are permanent 'traits,' not temporary 'states' that can be treated. At best, a therapist can teach coping skills and ways of imitating appropriate behaviors so one 'appears' to be 'normal,' but one is still 'f**ked up' for life. If one work out with heavy weights at too young an age, one can 'f**k up' the growth plates in the long bones, and stunt one's physical height. Wait a few years and there is no problem growing tall as well as getting ripped. Well Bud, your personality also has a critical growth period that can just as easily be interferred with, with permanent results. It's your choice.

--------------------

InvisibleMy Third Eye
old hand

Folding@home Statistics
    #472672 - 11/28/01 05:53 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

jinc listen to markosgnostic..he knows what he is talkin about..i took a whole bunch of lsd when i was 15 and to this day have permanent side effects from it such as visual disturbances tracers and sleep trouble..you are definately at a critical stage of developement and its best not to risk anything..not everyone ends up getting fucked up from acid but a lot of people do..

--------------------
suddenly a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...Holy fucking shit!

InvisibleKid
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Acid...first time. [Re: My Third Eye]
    #472700 - 11/28/01 06:10 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

> jinc listen to markosgnostic

You should try following your own advice. If you were listening to him you would see that he ridiculed the idea of the human subject. Meaning that when you say,

> i took a whole bunch of lsd when i was 15 and to this day have permanent side effects from it such as visual disturbances tracers and sleep trouble

That's a result of your interpretation of what happened. Now, I'm not denying that you have visual disturbances and trouble sleeping, but it's YOU that's attributing the cause of it to LSD. Treatment for you would address the 'fact' that LSD caused this, but that doesn't mean that it's going to happen to anyone else.

> you are definately at a critical stage of developement and its best not to risk anything

Development? From what into what?

> not everyone ends up getting fucked up from acid but a lot of people do..

Doesn't matter how many, it matters how many do compared with how many don't.

OfflineMmmMushrooms
Loc: Seattle, Washington
    #472720 - 11/28/01 06:28 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

For the person who said that mushrooms are 100x stronger than weed, i feel more comfortable talking to my parents on shrooms than i do on weed.

--------------------
"This is the greatest thing I've seen since Haley's Comet collided with the moon" -Homer Simpson

Offlinewooly
Stranger
Loc: toon town
Re: Acid...first time. [Re: Anonymous]
    #472735 - 11/28/01 06:37 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

it really doesnt matter that u havnt smoke weed just keep in mind that music can play a very importent role while trippin
i suggest Pink Floyd or the beatles somthing nice and mellow

Anonymous

Re: Acid...first time. [Re: MmmMushrooms]
    #472810 - 11/28/01 07:33 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'm the same way...

I didn't really mean that mushrooms are 100x stronger than weed, the two aren't even comparable. I suppose I meant what you experience and what you gain from it. Don't take the statement so literally, I really don't think it's that hard to understand what I meant, I just explained it wrong.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Acid...first time. [Re: Kid]
    #478724 - 12/03/01 08:28 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe you should re-read. I'm not in the habit of ridiculing anyone. That would not be exactly consistant with the personality of one in a helping profession, or ethical, or moral, or very nice at all - would it?
As to development...in addition to obvious physical development, which occurs in well-defined stages from conception onward, humans also develop along a number of non-physical vectors. Cognitive, affective, moral, social and spiritual are five domains in addition to the physical that have been used by developmentalists to describe the complexity of human development. Things can and do go wrong at times in all of these (interactive) domains.

--------------------

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (12/03/01 08:36 PM)

InvisibleKid
Carpal Tunnel
    #478797 - 12/03/01 09:22 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, it was not ridicule.

> You, the subject, are not in a position to evaluate whether your development along certain lines...

No, this isn't ridicule, you're right. I basically took this as though you were offering the postmodern view that human subjectivity was incomplete at best (the Self is unknowable).

> in addition to obvious physical development

What are we developing into, and from what?

> which occurs in well-defined stages from conception onward

Yes, well defined, but that doesn't make them real. Saying they're well defined, medicalizes 'abnormal developers'. I thought that was something you wanted to get away from...

> Things can and do go wrong at times in all of these (interactive) domains.

Wrong?

I'm confused by your point of view now. You were against the use of the term "hallucinogen", for it's association with pathology, but you normalize, and thus pathologize human development itself?

Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
    #482633 - 12/07/01 12:48 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Markos: just a query.. i first tried LSD when i was (certainly quite young) 15, i used it once and havn't used it since (not because of a bad experience, quite the contrary it was very interesting and enlightening, but because I have been in school until recently and have had other things on my mind). I would like to hear what you think of the medical/developmental implications of a single-time LSD experience on me at that age. It wasn't a high dose, just enough to get a feel. I don't regret it, nor recognize any lasting negative change, but am just curious as to how you think I might have been affected by it developmental-wise?

looking forward to your response.

InvisibleKid
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Acid...first time. [Re: wintertime]
    #482758 - 12/07/01 05:43 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I doubt anyone will be able to tell you how your biological development has been altered. IMO, it hasn't in any significant way.

OfflineCOZMKSTRCHLD
Loc: sn-sky-mun-strz
    #483643 - 12/07/01 10:25 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I have always said the first time should be with your best friend. As far as games go, I think Jenga is a good time. Don't let non-trippin' people come over. We used to go into the woods to escape parents. A bonfire, some Neil Young, and a poncho is comfort. No stress= Happy Trails

OfflineSherlockDrubu
enthusiast
Re: Acid...first time. [Re: Kid]
    #484118 - 12/08/01 01:57 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

>> in addition to obvious physical development

>What are we developing into, and from what?

The obvious development of a child to adult

InvisibleKid
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Acid...first time. [Re: SherlockDrubu]
    #484242 - 12/08/01 04:26 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

obviously.

Invisiblefuzzysquirelnuts
veteran
Loc: souhwest us
Re: Acid...first time. [Re: SherlockDrubu]
    #484283 - 12/08/01 05:12 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

i believe kid was asking what exactly is the change that takes place from childhood to being a mature adult

i also agree with dxmhead about if you think your ready then you probably are.

i would probably go ahead and smoke some bud before hand just to see how well you can handle that before taking a big leap to lsd ...and if you get paranoid dont take that as how it is when trippin but recognize how you reacted to your paranoia and realize that paranoia is just a fear of unknown dangers and thats what tripping is, an experience of the unkwown...sometimes good sometimes bad...but even when it is bad you need to be able to handle yourself

sorry for the rambling

--------------------
were all retarded sometimes

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order