Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Need job suggestions [Re: License_to_Chill]
    #4679764 - 09/18/05 10:31 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

License_to_Chill said:
Skilled trades are where it's at. Just go to Trade School for a degree. Should only take 1 to 2 years.

I'm getting a degree in Massage Therapy right now. Only takes 11 months. But, its in high demand and starting pay is $45 an hour. Then, it will go up to around $85 depending on expirience.

I finished massage school a couple years ago. I passed the state exam and got registered and everything. I had my own little business for awhile, having 3 or 4 regular customers, offering package deals, and using the spare room in our house as my little "studio". I would also occasionally make house calls. Now I have a couple regulars I go to every now and then for some extra cash. Doing massage therapy requires constant work to market yourself. You have to do everything you would do in any small business (business cards, advertising, etc.), so it's no different, but it's hard getting steady clientele. If you work for a spa, I believe they pay you by the hour, which sucks because then you are doing massages all day long. The most I have ever done was maybe 3, and you know how massages can wear you out. Yeah it's good money, but lots of work. After awhile of doing it, I got burnt out. I decided it was just too much work for something I really didn't even enjoy doing. And it's not something that is mentally challenging or that allows you to be creative, for the most part. I just enjoyed getting quick cash. I guess my original desire to get into massage therapy was because you are your own boss, you can set your own hours, rates, etc. and you are doing something that makes people feel good. But there are other things I am interested in now that have greater rewards. You could be someone that really enjoys it, however, so I hope this post doesn't discourage you. It's just my experience. You can get into sports massage, deep tissue, reiki and all that jazz. But you are headed in the right direction for sure. Don't give in to the horrible, corporate world where your job is sitting in a box!!!!

--------------------
I got a buddy with United Fruit, get ya started...

Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Re: Need job suggestions [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #4679789 - 09/18/05 10:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It didn't discourage me at all. 

My mom's good friend owns a very successful spa, and she's already got a spot for me when I get my degree in a few months.  I just love to work with my hands, and I love to take care of people.  So, I naturally just put the two together and got a real feel for this career.

Hell no, I'll never sit in a box.  :ashamed:

--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

Offlinesublime40oz
Traveler
Loc: Florida
Re: Need job suggestions [Re: License_to_Chill]
    #4680007 - 09/18/05 11:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yea, I was on the path to end up in a corporate law position making an assload of money but I've recently said f that. I want to teach high school english and eventually coach the varsity soccer team. So goodbye 80k starting salary, lol. I don't need much to be happy though.

--------------------
Beyond the gray sky

OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Re: Need job suggestions [Re: sublime40oz]
    #4680016 - 09/18/05 11:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sublime40oz said:
Yea, I was on the path to end up in a corporate law position making an assload of money but I've recently said f that. I want to teach high school english and eventually coach the varsity soccer team. So goodbye 80k starting salary, lol. I don't need much to be happy though.

Yep, just enough to be sufficient in what you're doing.  I prefer the simple life with the simple pleasures that come with it.  :sunny:

--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Need job suggestions [Re: sublime40oz]
    #4681027 - 09/19/05 06:02 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sublime40oz said:
I want to teach high school english

I could never teach high school. You would have to deal with kids who acted like I did when I was that age (smartasses who didn't give a shit).

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom