Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
New Orleans - small government and less tax....
    #4673147 - 09/17/05 05:47 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Could one of our esteemed free-market colleagues explain to us who would be paying to help New Orleans right now if we lived in a country with small government that took an awful lot less in tax?

(I am presuming the old chestnut that private "charity" would have saved the needy in New Orleans will be raised at some point...)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Re: New Orleans - small government and less tax.... [Re: Alex213]
    #4673155 - 09/17/05 05:54 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Brace yourself...

People from New Orleans!!! The State! The people that are authorized and tasked with doing so!

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Re: New Orleans - small government and less tax.... [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4673158 - 09/17/05 05:56 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm braced...

Ah..I see magic. Nice one  :smile:

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4673165 - 09/17/05 06:02 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

:smile:  The people of LA are perfectly capable of taxing their citizens.  Does it make sense to increase taxes to pay for government flood insurance on the people that will be receiving the possible benefit? Of course.  Does it make sense to charge some farmer in Wyoming more taxes to rebuilt Lousiana? Of course not.  No more sense than it makes for a NO employee to be paying taxes for farm subsidies.  States are perfectly capable of taxing their own citizens, as outlined in the Constitution. 

Most of the money to rebuild homes will come from insurance.  The flood insurance down that-away is subsidized by the federal government.  Again, I don't see why I should be required or compelled to pay to repair the guys house that lives in a bulls eye.  If I had more of the money that I worked for, I could work on plans to make my homestead more 'secure' and make myself more self-sufficient and less reliant on the government.  If these people in NO (who are we kidding, though, the lower class doesn't pay taxes at all, really) were to have more money on their paychecks, maybe they could have afforded to set aside some money for an emergency such as this.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4673185 - 09/17/05 06:29 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

In free market capitalism NO probably wouldn't exist. Without government assurance of insurance (FEMA) private industry would have to be wholly responsible for covering losses. Since businesses want to make money they likely wouldn't have build homes or businesses in NO once they found out private insurance wouldn't cover them or would only do so for an exorbitant cost.

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

Loc: Classified
    #4673210 - 09/17/05 07:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alex213 said:
Could one of our esteemed free-market colleagues explain to us who would be paying to help New Orleans right now if we lived in a country with small government that took an awful lot less in tax?

A smaller more efficient government could very well handle the situation better than a large, bloating wastefull one. It is not how much that you take in that matters but how much you have left over after all the waste.

Would a smaller more efficient and responsive government had corrected the levy problem instead of diverting those funds to Iraq?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: New Orleans - small government and less tax.... [Re: gregorio]
    #4673341 - 09/17/05 08:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think Gregorio is unaware that the levees are controlled by independent levee boards which have received quite a fair amount of money to construct and maintain the levees but diverted those funds to other ends. Some indictable.

I myself would give carte blanche to the Army Corps of Engineers who, though not perfect, are not particularly corrupt. This is a large enough project that the levees should be taken over by the feds. I have no problem with fed involvement in such a major infrastructure improvement. Other projects should go to smaller entities but every nickel of federal money must be strictly accounted for. Look to Blanco and Nagin to have their hands out while at the same time demanding total autonomy as to how those funds are to be used. Like these people http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46361

"IN KATRINA'S WAKE
Storm-relief money
spent at strip clubs
Police in Houston find misuse
of FEMA's $2,000 debit cards
Posted: September 16, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

? 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

On the heels of a report earlier this week that Atlanta area Katrina victims were using $2,000 debit cards to purchase luxury items like Louis Vuitton handbags, Houston police yesterday discovered the cards, provided by FEMA and the Red Cross, being used at local strip clubs.

The Houston Police Department just formed a task force to investigate the abuse of the cards, which were distributed to thousands of Katrina hurricane victims to provide for necessities, such as food, clothing and toiletries. On the first day, the police found the cards being used to buy beer while ogling exotic dancers.

According to a report by KPRC, Channel 2, in Houston, a manager at Caligula XXI Gentlemen's Club said he has seen at least one debit card used at his club. A bartender at Baby Dolls, identified only as "Abby," said she has seen many of the cards used at her establishment.

"A lot of customers have been coming in from Louisiana and they've been real happy about the $1.75 beers and they're really nice," she said.

She couldn't say for sure whether the cards she has seen were from the Red Cross or from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, but she found no fault in using federal dollars to guzzle beer at a strip club. "

It goes on. Can you say "misappropriation"?

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4673750 - 09/17/05 11:06 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You do realize that the protection of the people is considered by libertarians to be the one legitimate function of government, right?

--------------------

OfflineElvish
enthusiast
Re: New Orleans - small government and less tax.... [Re: Silversoul]
    #4673770 - 09/17/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Fuck, I'd probably want a drink too after all that shit.
But I get the point.

Offlinenonick
Stranger

Re: New Orleans - small government and less tax.... [Re: Elvish]
    #4673802 - 09/17/05 11:25 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

paradigm,
protection of the people does NOT mean that the government should pay for sherpas to follow people up to the top of mount everest to ensure that they are safe. libertarians understand that the government's role is to protect human rights!

...and taxing people to pay for the levy system is not protecting human rights. it is a violation of them.

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Re: New Orleans - small government and less tax.... [Re: Silversoul]
    #4676297 - 09/18/05 12:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You do realize that the protection of the people is considered by libertarians to be the one legitimate function of government, right?

Where do they find the money to rebuild New Orleans if "taxation is theft"?

Would private charity have come up with the 200 billion in a few weeks?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #4676883 - 09/18/05 05:50 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

One would hope they'd be smart enough not to rebuild a city that is 7 feet below sea-level and slowly sinking.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: New Orleans - small government and less tax.... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #4676942 - 09/18/05 07:32 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

they were fine. the hurricane passed them and everything was back to normal. "Whew"
And suddenly, the levee broke.

If they build a much stronger levee I don't see why they should move the city; it's in the perfect spot in regards to the river. It's retarded to build a giant concrete platform to raise the level of the city; which is rumor i heard..

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Orleans - small government and less tax.... [Re: vampirism]
    #4677095 - 09/18/05 09:15 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, it's much smarter to have a city built in a natural soup bowl, so if it floods at all, the city is fucked. I'd much rather have that than build a concrete foundation.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: New Orleans - small government and less tax.... [Re: vampirism]
    #4677108 - 09/18/05 09:26 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Seven feet below sea level hardly qualifies as "perfect".

It's a foolish place for a city. It'd be foolish to rebuild it.

Which is why we probably will.

Once again the many pay for the stupidity of the few.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom