Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Something i've always wondered
    #4675292 - 09/17/05 10:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Since our eyes are our number one interpreter of the world around us, our center of awareness resides at the eyes or just behind the eyes. Try this out: close your eyes, and you'll notice your center of awareness or sense of "self" is focused where your eyes are. And your feets and hands still feel like they're "over there" or distinctly distant from that point of awareness.

Now here's what i've been wondering... Where is a blind person's center of awareness? Just in the middle of their brain, or can they move it elsewhere on their body? Or maybe it's located dually at each ear, since that would be their main sensory input.

Also, i've read of people who, with much practice, can move their awareness center to other parts of their body. Has anyone here been able to do this?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: Something i've always wondered [Re: moog]
    #4675399 - 09/17/05 11:04 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yes, I have noticed that, especially while meditating! While meditating I am able to focus my energy into my forhead, or become extra aware of my hands/feet. But my sense of self always seems to be in my skull.

I wonder what a blind person would say... any blind people here at the shroomery?

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4675415 - 09/17/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

somehow, I don't think the center of awareness resides near my eyes at all. If I had to choose a spot, it would be maybe a couple inches behind my nose. Or maybe about 3 or 4 inches down from the top of my cranium. Sometimes other places like the neck or chest.

If you feel as if your center of awareness is your eyes, perhaps you're just using them too much?

an interesting point about this is that I'm a visual artist, yet my sight is thus detached. Controlled maybe? I don't think so

. I enjoy my sense of touch more now along with smell ( and taste ). Not so much hearing though.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4675787 - 09/18/05 12:35 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, of course - meditation for me has been the descent of the mind to the Heart. BTW, William James described his center of self as being in the pit of his throat. I believe that Yoga psychology explains most of these experiences of selfhood. Mana [mind] and Ahamkara [the 'I' sense] is said to reside in locations in the head. The chakra centers of the Heart (and beneath the Heart Center, the Hridayam [Heart Cave]), the Throat Center and the Head Center[s] (only one in Tibetan Buddhist Yoga) can become centers of the Transpersonal or Transcendental Ego or Self.

In Kabbalism, the Heart is the place where one has what certain occultists called The Knowledge and Conversation of One's Holy Guardian Angel, and refers to a critical transition in which one comes to 'reside' at that Center (the Solar Heart Center) and one now identifies oneself as a 'Soul' that has a personality and body rather than a body that has a personality and a soul. It is crossing The Veil of Paroketh. One is neither the personality (one's thoughts and feelings and unconscious - the Kabbalistic spheres of Hod, Netzach and Yesod) or the body (Malkuth), but rather, one manifests through these varying densities.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4676894 - 09/18/05 08:02 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

moog said:
Since our eyes are our number one interpreter of the world around us, our center of awareness resides at the eyes or just behind the eyes. Try this out: close your eyes, and you'll notice your center of awareness or sense of "self" is focused where your eyes are. And your feets and hands still feel like they're "over there" or distinctly distant from that point of awareness.

Now here's what i've been wondering... Where is a blind person's center of awareness? Just in the middle of their brain, or can they move it elsewhere on their body? Or maybe it's located dually at each ear, since that would be their main sensory input.

Also, i've read of people who, with much practice, can move their awareness center to other parts of their body. Has anyone here been able to do this?

that's because you still have your ears. If you lost hearing, closed your eyes and were in zero gravity, your awareness would be in your armpits...I think

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #5756519 - 06/16/06 10:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

:bump:

Solar plexus?

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Something i've always wondered [Re: Gomp]
    #5756560 - 06/16/06 10:32 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

you can put awareness anywhere, but for a specific area to be your new "abode"

and this is an interesting topic so thanks for sparking my curiosity

you would need to maintain that awareness for a long period of time with intensive focus. or use drugs eh?

first time i was stoned i got stuck in my tongue and it felt insane.... not too pleasant either.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (06/16/06 10:32 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5756750 - 06/16/06 12:03 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

yes moved it under will (chakkras) and it has been moved by even stronger motives than personal will:
sex
and relfex

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology