Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
whole brown rice
    #4675005 - 09/17/05 06:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

so i worked with whole brown rice once. it formed a ton of gell. anyways im asking for tips, cooking procedures, and anything else you could contribute to using WHOLE grain brown rice. with the whole brown rice the gelled up bricks colonised faster than a rye experiment. this is a valuable substrate and its been under done. i talked to someone that said you can cook it to the point where it doesnt gell up. he said he would pm me his notes but i havent seen them so far. im lookin for methods cooking a measured amount of rice with a measured amount of water in the pc, no simmer. im looking for a simmer method also. soak just takes too long for me. thanks board members!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: whole brown rice [Re: S8N]
    #4675020 - 09/17/05 06:27 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Whole grain brown rice is an awesome substrate, read the tek: 9er Tek

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

Re: whole brown rice [Re: Holydiver]
    #4675046 - 09/17/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i want to use this in quart jars, and shake the jars. 9er tek uses vermiculite, i want str8 grain.

--------------------

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4675052 - 09/17/05 06:41 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It only uses vermiculite for the breather/barrier, not in the substrate itself. The substrate is "str8 grain". You won't be shaking these in quart jars, it doesn't work like that. The rice forms a solid cake, and you remove it whole as well. No shaking, no shouldered jars, and comes out whole. That's how it works.

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

#4675058 - 09/17/05 06:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i want to use this as spawn not final substrate. it colonises faster than rye does. its a valuable substrate and its lacking in scientific experimentation.

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4675172 - 09/17/05 07:36 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well the rice will break right up so you can use it as spawn as well, hell you can break up brf cakes and spawn them, right?

i agree the few br jars i've done have colonized very quickly as well, i seem to like the rye a little better though.

:peace:

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

Re: whole brown rice [Re: backupwards]
    #4675334 - 09/17/05 08:40 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

ive used powerdered pf tek cakes as spawn before. it works well, and for straw the pf powder sticks to it way better than grains do. but whole grain is easyer on a LARGE scale operation. ryes ok but sometimes it doesnt colonise or colonises slowly. where ive fucked a whole brown rice batch up hard core. gell brick style, and it colonised way faster than the rye jars. i agree that i like rye a little better. but rye is only avalable when im sleeping on my cracked out sleep schedual. thanks for the responses, and i dont have my clear cut answer yet.

--------------------

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

#4676166 - 09/18/05 12:10 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i found this post that was about 5 years old. from my experiment i think this one is rite on.

"Cook the rice before pressure cooking. one part rice to one part water, about 20 minutes on simmer, covered." ive tryed pressure cooking 40 mins and ive tryed 70 mins seems as if it didnt make a difrence how long i pressure cooked, but the simmer was the critial part. ill have to work out how long to pressure cook if the simmer instrucitons he said work.

--------------------

Offlinechadwick
Simplicity isBliss

Loc: Orange Country
    #4676323 - 09/18/05 12:48 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I use whole brown rice, and it works marvelously. From mylecium inoculate, usually my jars aare fully colonized in 8 - 10 days. I just follow the 9er tek for cooking it. 1 cup rice to 1 half water. The package says to let it simmer for 45 minutes. I always stop cooking(simmering) after about 20 minutes or so; all the water is absorbed. Then continue to pressure cook for 30 to 45 minutes at 15psi. Thus far, I've only lost one jar due to contam using whole brown rice. Just my two cents.

Peace

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

#4676341 - 09/18/05 12:57 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i also plan on using this substrate for this liquid culture tek found here. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4167625/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1
its just that whole brown rice is avalable 24 hours a day where rye is not... thanks for your 2 cents! i was trying to cook it at package directions, that was a bad idea!

--------------------

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

#4775036 - 10/08/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

this was between pms instead of here. "Yes that is correct. 2:1 rice to water Sorry for being confusing; I was faded . Peace

Quote:
"1 cup rice to 1 half water" is that 1 half cup of water. as in 2:1 rice:water? thanks, and good luck with the shroomery!"

--------------------

OfflineCoyote Bruce
Stranger

#26661604 - 05/10/20 04:26 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

If you cook rice like the Japanese do, there is no necessity for removing excess water. Doing it so that it is only partially boiled (so that your jar does not turn into a mass of gel) means putting 1.5 times as much water in the pot as the volume of rice you are going to use. Normally this would be 1.75 - 2 times that volume, depending on taste, but we want rice that is not fully cooked. I usually stir when adding the rice so all the grains are wet.

Next cover your pot and bring it to a simmer. Simmer until all the water is absorbed but NEVER stir rice when doing it this way. If so, it WILL come out sticky and be harder to work with. The way you see if there is any water left on the bottom of the pan is by putting a spatula directly down into the mass of grain, vertically, until it comes flush with the bottom. Then slowly and gently pull just enough of the grain to one side to see the bottom. If the water is gone, you're good and you can pull the spatula out but if it is not ready, pull it out carefully, trying to disturb as little of the rice as possible. It is better to have a little sticking to the bottom than not. You can leave the very bottom layer there if it's stuck. That way, the remaining grains you keep from this pot will be ready to use and pretty dry.

It is important to watch rice pretty close when you do it this way. Once it starts to stick, it will burn rather quickly thereafter. This works for any grain but the amount of water will vary depending on species and I am not sure if any other grains besides rice have that sticking problem. It's the only one I've seen glob up like that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags