Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineVampire999S
Man Of ManyAquariums
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Sad Days
    #4674346 - 09/17/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've come to what I would consider the secound hardest part of the 22 years ive been around. The first was having a friend of mine die a few years ago. Which turned out to be such a tough experience that I didn?t realize how it affected me until almost a year later. Now I have to decide the fate of my best friend since way back before then. My pup that I?ve had since I turned 7.

Shes really old and getting older. He back legs are starting to fail her. I knew the time was coming a few months back when I got a call from my roommate that she had fallen over and couldn?t get back up. I just had to put her on the carpet so she got her footing but since then its been downhill and quickly. Yesterday I guess she slipped in the bathroom and I have no idea how long she had been in there scared. Then she kept falling the rest of the day.. today she is fine.. but tomorrow it will probably start all over again. She had very bad arthritis in her legs which I?m very sure is causing her pain now. She also keeps getting smaller. No matter what I do she can?t gain weight. She eats and eats but its just not helping.

At this point its just a matter of when it has to happen. I would like to wait until my dad gets back because he will be upset if it happens while he is gone. I probably should have done it already but I guess I was just to selfish to do what needed to be done. I just don?t want to have to take her to the vet to have it done. She will be so scared. I just don?t want those to be her last memories.

I just don?t understand how to sit here and think about killing my best friend when shes still sitting here next to me because she can tell I?m upset. :'(

--------------------
./configure --without-sanity --without-logic --without-regret
jaded = safe != happy
Were not familly, we are the shroomery, and to some thats thicker than blood.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Sad Days [Re: Vampire999]
    #4674390 - 09/17/05 04:49 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

that's horrible man :frown: i had to go through something like that a few years ago.....

but my dad has always been the one to take the animals to the vet :frown:

i don't know what to tell you, if you have some mellow smokes you may try smoking her a tiny tiny bit to help with any pain she might have from arthritis while you try and figure stuff out..... but it might make the whole desire to eat vs not gaining weight issue much harsher on her.

the whole idea of having to drag an already dying and weak animal into a vet to kill it really bothers me..... it is something that should be done in home in a familiar surrounding with loved ones there to keep the animal calm :frown:

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #4674527 - 09/17/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

man, losing a friend like that is really tough. i had a black lab/german sheapard mix that i had for 14 years from the time she was a pup. my dads friend gave her to me, a stray he found in nogales. she was my best friend growing up, and at times my only friend. in her last days she too couldnt move around very well, her hind legs just gave up on her due to her arthritus. one mornihg i woke up, looked at her.....she was in so much pain, couldnt move. i took her to the vet, had her put down, and burried her in our back yard with her blanket. she had this blanket, well i had it and gave it to her......a present from my grandmother. she loved that thing, we laid it down in the floor and that was her "spot". she was mostly an outside dog, but during the summers she would spend the days sprawled out on that blanket in the house. i miss her so much.....the pain never really goes away, just gets pushed aside. it comes and goes, sometimes something will remind me of her and have a little moment of silence in her honor.

but man......tinkerbell does know you are upset. she may not know why, but im pretty sure dogs can sence the changes in our emotional states. any time i came home from a bad day of school as a kid, lucky would be there right in my lap with her ball, her way of trying to chear me up i suppose.

my heart goes out to ya man

:heart:

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4674815 - 09/17/05 07:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Vampire999 said:
I've come to what I would consider the secound hardest part of the 22 years ive been around. The first was having a friend of mine die a few years ago. Which turned out to be such a tough experience that I didn?t realize how it affected me until almost a year later. Now I have to decide the fate of my best friend since way back before then. My pup that I?ve had since I turned 7.

Shes really old and getting older. He back legs are starting to fail her. I knew the time was coming a few months back when I got a call from my roommate that she had fallen over and couldn?t get back up. I just had to put her on the carpet so she got her footing but since then its been downhill and quickly. Yesterday I guess she slipped in the bathroom and I have no idea how long she had been in there scared. Then she kept falling the rest of the day.. today she is fine.. but tomorrow it will probably start all over again. She had very bad arthritis in her legs which I?m very sure is causing her pain now. She also keeps getting smaller. No matter what I do she can?t gain weight. She eats and eats but its just not helping.

At this point its just a matter of when it has to happen. I would like to wait until my dad gets back because he will be upset if it happens while he is gone. I probably should have done it already but I guess I was just to selfish to do what needed to be done. I just don?t want to have to take her to the vet to have it done. She will be so scared. I just don?t want those to be her last memories.

I just don?t understand how to sit here and think about killing my best friend when shes still sitting here next to me because she can tell I?m upset. :'(

OK friend, I've been through this. NO 1. Don't let your friend suffer. I found feeding them pot really works on pain. There are vet pain killers also. Use them. NO 2. This is just so you have your time to say your goodbuys. ( a few days to a few weeks depending on the pain level of your dog). Make use of this time. Your dog is giving you his final lessons about love and letting go. He/she may also help you access deep pain that you hold in check deep inside from your own life. Let it come out when its ready. I cried hard for two weeks after my dog died. All my childhood sorrows came out. It was his last gift to me. NO 3. Do it, have him/her put down. Remember them forever.  :heart:

By the way your friend has a beautiful face. I can see the love. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (09/17/05 07:23 PM)

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: Sad Days [Re: Icelander]
    #4675002 - 09/17/05 08:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I was just about to post a thread like this, my dog just recently died this last weekend. At first I was pretty shocked, I couldn't believe that she wasn't there anymore, it didn't seem real. Reading this thread makes me want to cry. Don't feel alone man, I know how it feels, I'm going through it right now. Remember the good times you and your dog had together. Remember the love.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4675693 - 09/18/05 12:16 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That's incredibly sad man.

But you have to do what has to be done. If you think she's still enjoying life and not suffering too much, then you could let her continue on, but once you think her suffering has become too much, I'd say my goodbyes and have her put down.

I know I may have a similar situation with my dog if he lives. He's 11, and already has problems walking around, along with a heart murmur. He's on medicine for the heart problems, but his energy seems to fade every year, though not his love. Even to the end, they still seem to have the love for the pack that has raised them for so many years.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Sad Days [Re: Ravus]
    #4677059 - 09/18/05 10:53 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
Re: Sad Days [Re: Icelander]
    #4677277 - 09/18/05 12:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That's incredibly sad man, incredibly.  :frown:

When I was a kid, my parents raised collie puppies.  And I had to see so many still born and unhealthy puppies die constantly.  It was very hard for me to deal with at the time. 

But the hardest thing I had to deal with was watching my dog Lady slowly fade away into nothingness.  My parents and I had picked her from a litter.  So I had known this dog since she was only weeks old.  She was the dog that had all the litters while I was growing up.  She brought so many happy moments into my life (like having 30 puppies run and jump all over you and lick your face and fall asleep all over you like a living blanket) that when she died, I didn't think I was going to make it.  I fealt like I had let her down somehow by not doing everything I could to make her live longer.

There is nothing like the love of a pet.  Its unconditional to the end and the only hope you can have after they pass on is that when you, yourself, pass on, that you will meet them again, in a different form.

Vampire, you will get pass this, but like wrestler said, you will never get totally over it.

McKennaDMT

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Sad Days [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #4677437 - 09/18/05 01:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Wow.. I had to fight back tears reading this post. As with many others I've gone through the same ordeal just a few years back. It's really tough going into the vet knowing a life is about to be taken. I still get close to tears when I think about bringing my dog in to be put down. They trust us with their lives while showing unconditional love and expect us to take care of them in return. If she's really in as poor health as you described, find the right time and have it done. It's not fair for her to suffer and it's not fair for you to see her in that kind of condition. The only thing that lifts me back up in good spirits is knowing my dog didn't have to suffer anymore. She had so much difficulty breathing, it was a relief almost to see her put to sleep. I cared more for her than I would some people I've met in my life. Take care Vamp, all will be well given enough time.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #4677707 - 09/18/05 03:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm sorry Vamp.

Consult a vet to help with her pain. Someone suggested weed. If thats what she likes fine, it makes my dog very uncomfortable to be high.

You gotta be the one to shoot her. Don't let her die in a Vets office. All dogs hate the vet. Take her somewher peaceful. Outside. If you cant do it, bring someone who can.
You will pull throught this.

--------------------

Offlinenickspurs
Back from the dead...
Male

Loc: Cambridge, UK Flag
Re: Sad Days [Re: Dreamer987]
    #4686540 - 09/20/05 05:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

My heart goes out to you both, whatever you decide

--------------------
Cambridge born. Well travelled. Still learning life...

Twitter: @nickyb1982

My YouTube Channel

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4686946 - 09/20/05 07:14 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Is she in a lot of pain or just losing control of rear?  I had a dog recently have a spinal injury due to a bite/infection she gradually couldnt walk but she really wasnt in any pain, just needed help getting up sometimes.  Also tile floor didnt work too well for her.  Anyways if your pup isnt in pain keep her around though she will get annoying with the pooing, but if she is in pain, its not right to have an animal bed ridden just for the sake of keeping it alive.  I'm really sorry for what you're going through and theres just nothing to say to make it any better.  Just enjoy the time you have with her and make her a filet minon or something awesome for her last meal.  :heart:

edit: to keep her from losing footing on tile etc you could try some dog shoes (i know cabellas sells em but im sure other places do too).  As for gaining weight, you could try some custom recipe from google for dogs.  It probably going to be something like turkey/chicken + rice + other stuff + possibly some powdered nutrients.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Edited by Eightball (09/20/05 07:20 PM)

Invisibleadrug

#4687115 - 09/20/05 08:08 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Awww vamp, I'm heartbroken reading this thread. Tinkerbell is such a sweet dog, I remember listening to her 'tick tick tick tick' through the kitchen, past the living room, and then off to god knows where...I even helped take care of her when I was stuck in Phoenix that summer, feeding her and filling her water bowl, getting up to open that back door OVER and OVER again heh ...god, and I know this is probably 100x more heartbreaking for you. Bless you and Tink. :heart: :sad:

OfflineVampire999S
Man Of ManyAquariums
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sad Days [Re: adrug]
    #4687837 - 09/20/05 10:46 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I have an appointment to take her into the vet Friday morning. They are going to take a look at her and see if they can help her out in anyway. I'll have to make my decision based on what the doctor says. I got a referral from this vet from a close friend who has had more dogs then I can imagine. She has always brought her dogs here. I don't hold out for the impossible. But hopefully they can make her remaining days more enjoyable.

--------------------
jaded = safe != happy

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
    #4688177 - 09/21/05 12:01 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You have to see that you gave your dog the best life a dog could have. Be happy and remember. Your puppy will always be with you...

OfflineVampire999S
Man Of ManyAquariums
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sad Days [Re: adamj]
    #4703410 - 09/24/05 02:43 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Mixed news at the vet today. Good news being that doctor does not believe she is in much pain. Bad news is he believes the issues she is having with her legs if due to neurological issues generated by her spine.

From what I understand she doesn't have much feeling in her back legs. So it would be like trying to walk around with numb legs all the time. He was careful not to give much false hope. More good news is that besides that and the fact that she is old shes in generally decent health. Because of this there is something we are going to try before calling it hopeless.

She is now going to be taking cortisone pills twice daily and a small amount of pain medication for any stiffness she might have that we cant pinpoint. What happens now will just depend on the treatment.

If this doesn't work I have to decide if she is happy or not with her limited mobility.

--------------------
jaded = safe != happy

OfflineTranceharper
Psychokitty

Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
    #4703628 - 09/24/05 03:28 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I wish you both all the healing that you need ... I also went through a similar experience almost two years ago , that I still have yet to get over, I grew up , litearly, I cannot remember the years before I knew my siamese , he was with me through everything, and just as you described, he was near the end, and my family finaly convinced me to take him to the vet to be uthanized , holding your best friend while you watch as he dies , is something that is heartbreaking, being said ... Everything dies , every creature does , in its own time, when we see a sick animal we love , that is obviously on its last legs , we desire to help it , to relieve its pain somehow, and that often leads to uthanization , I still have not forgiven myself for it, if I could go back, I am sure my cat, and your dog , and all others who go through this, human and animal companion , will understand , what ever choice you make . I dont believe the animal will hold it against you, because in such a situation the desire to uthanize them, results from the deepest of love , and I think both parties know that , but as it is in nature , all things pass in their time, looking back now, I would simply have stood at his side, just as I did on the vet table , and spent every minute with him to comfort, as he passed, rather then telling the vet when to stick the needle , all and all this is something that each human must decide when their best friend reaches this point, and in a way, it is the most difficult decision anyone could make -Tranceharper

--------------------
Meow ===^{o_o}^===

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #4736838 - 09/30/05 03:03 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hows she doing?

--------------------

OfflineBrakkie
Myself
Loc: Rotterdam... The City of ...
Re: Sad Days [Re: Dreamer987]
    #4737004 - 09/30/05 03:31 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Man that really sucks! I can really see your dog's face sitting right here next to me, looking into my eyes like it does from the picture. I can see that you got the sweetest dog in the world. I see that you really love him and so on you should do what's best for the dog... The dog has a lot of pain right now and will prolly pass soon anyway... (I know it sounds hard but it's the truth) Why don't you let her live the rest of her life in complete peace. The Ultimate Rest. Keep her in your heart and in your mind but don't let her suffer that much...

Good Luck and the best to the both of you

--------------------
"This combines the good sides of every other drug with none of the bad. This is the ultimate luxury, the flawless wisdom-pleasure hit. More mellow and cozy than heroin, but you don't nod out. I feel more alive and wired and energetic than with speed, but not jangly. Its got the blast of cocaine, but it lasted ten times longer."

"Going to the grave without ever having a psychedelic experience is like going to the grave without ever having sex. That means you will die before even becoming an adolescent." -Terence Mckenna

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: Sad Days [Re: Brakkie]
    #4744227 - 10/02/05 05:26 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

How bizarre this is. I am going through the exact same situation as we speak. My dog has lymphoma, and is declining everyday. As some people have said, dogs and other pets have the ability to show unconditional love, and that is what makes me so sad to see my dog so sick. No matter what mood you are in, whether you yell at them, whether you are sad, crying, or something similar they are always by your side, never judging you, just showing you affection. I have to make the decision very soon on whether my dog must go. It kills me to see him in pain, but i feel it to be selfish if i keep him alive just for my own comfort.

Losing a close pet is alot more traumatic than people think, this has been one of the most stressful and depressing periods of my life.

This is a pic of my dog. Sad days..........

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being