Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Peat, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDingus
Stranger
Buttons on PF tek
    #4674232 - 09/17/05 03:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

from what i see in pictures, these look pretty similar.

im cloning buttons growing in pf jars. how do i ID cobweb vs. myc?

EDIT: I ask, not because I didn't read the FAQ, but because my "myc" is NOT strongly white, but IS growing very slowly. I have spots about 2.5" diameter now, growing about .25" per day.

is button myc a little less white than normal, perhaps? in the center of my growing area, i do see some stringy areas, but not so at the edges.

Edited by Dingus (10/01/05 02:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDingus
Stranger
Re: Identifying myc vs. cobweb mold on Button shrooms [Re: Dingus]
    #4683615 - 09/19/05 09:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

No one knows? has anyone grown buttons?

OfflineMycophilic
thrill seeker
Loc: WA, USA
    #4695446 - 09/22/05 03:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

if it's not blue-green mold, or yeast, it could be mycelium, you might think about segregating the possible contaminant from other jars/bags/etc

OfflineDingus
Stranger
Re: Identifying myc vs. cobweb mold on Button shrooms [Re: Mycophilic]
    #4695585 - 09/22/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i opened the jar to take a whiff, it had a distinctive, kind of a cool, fresh smell, not unlike actual buttons... ? appropriate?

Edited by Dingus (09/22/05 04:37 PM)

OfflineMycophilic
thrill seeker
    #4695601 - 09/22/05 04:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

from what I can tell the pics look good, did you do these straight from spores or a clone? you gonna inoculate compost/straw with the grain or case and try to fruit directly?

OfflineDingus
Stranger
    #4696040 - 09/22/05 06:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

these are clones, straight from the grocery store.

that's why my jars have those tiny pipes: I sterilized with the pipes in place and stuffed tissue down em with a sterile wire. The jar pictured is at 80% colonization

i was gonna fruit directly, but I'm just making this up as I go; I haven't found much on Buttons. Comments?

OfflineMycophilic
thrill seeker
    #4696170 - 09/22/05 06:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

if these are straight from spores, and you have good colonization, i'd expand them into compost/straw if you have the resources, otherwise, i guess you could case the jars, heck, i suppose you could apply "pf tek" here too

OfflineDingus
Stranger
    #4696280 - 09/22/05 07:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

these aren't straight from spores, theyre clones from tissue. is that a problem?

OfflineMycophilic
thrill seeker
    #4696292 - 09/22/05 07:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

no, doesn't matter, but you could get a helluva lot more shrooms if you expand your grain onto compost/straw, or if you have a good outdoor place such as a garden

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #4697534 - 09/22/05 11:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

From what I can see, the Myc looks good. Is there any other coloration you're noticing besides the colonizing circles? If you are seeing a two-toned mycelial growth, it is problematic. If it is monochrome, then it looks like it is doing well!
The off-white color may be a strain characteristic, or it could be a sign of senescence, which you don't want. Senescence is definitely more likely in grocery store whites, just because spawn is so expensive for growers that they use 3rd gen spawn, so a lot of cellular division is going on.
Anyway the growth is traditionally a little slower, and I haven't seen too much PF tek' ing of white buttons. I'm very interested though, please let us know how it goes. Also you must case this species for it to fruit. I don't think you can just put the cake into a FC and fruit it.
Let us know how it goes!
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

OfflineDingus
Stranger
Re: Identifying myc vs. cobweb mold on Button shrooms [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #4740939 - 10/01/05 03:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The myc growth is uniform in color, and it is whitening as it thickens, if thats the right word.

Sadly, one jar looks like its not going to make it. I had two jars showing growth. One had 3 tissue sites growing, but the other only had one. While the single-site jar grew faster initially, it reached 2" diameter and stalled. The myc has grown lighter and lighter, until now I can barely see it.

Both jars, actually dramaticly slowed growth at about the same time. When I saw the weak jar starting to fade, I suspected moisture problems, so I boiled a syringe of water for an hour, and gave maybe 15cc's to each. The healthy jar perked up immediately, but it didn't help the other one.

As it stands now, the remaining jar has colonized the entire jar surface, with only the bottom remaining to be covered. There is very slight condensation on the jar sides; it looks pretty perfect. The myc is getting whiter all over, and thicker, although still a bit stringy-er than i see from pictures of actives.

So what type of case do we recommend here. I'll admit that I was very much hoping to fruit directly; I figured a dunk in the fridge would perk these right up.

OfflineDingus
Stranger
Re: Buttons on PF tek [Re: Dingus]
    #7077568 - 06/22/07 12:01 AM (10 years, 9 days ago)

Almost two years later, and I'm ready to start again. But first, maybe you can point out whats wrong...

Shortly after this point, the jars "died"... the myc stopped spreading, and began to fade, becoming more and more translucent. Can we blame this on senescence? or does that sound like a systematic issue (moisture (or lack thereof) temp, etc?)

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Buttons on PF tek [Re: Dingus]
    #7079452 - 06/22/07 01:45 PM (10 years, 8 days ago)

It sounds like a moisture issue to me if your jars just stalled out. OR the other possibility I can see would be that they are not getting enough gas exchange in the jars. What type of gas exchange is allowed for in those jars? What are you using for filter on the jar?

Were you keeping the jars covered in tinfoil? that helps stop or slow the evaporation of moisture into the air, and away from the substrate.

I see you were also asking about casing, I would just use a pH adjusted peat, but you can probably do a number of other things. 50/50, MGMC, or even the poly crystals that absorb 400 times their weight in water, I've seen that used as casing before too...

IMO no way it was senescence that was your problem. The original growth looks healthy, senescent mycelium is not aggressive and not usually too thick. It was growing a bit slow in there, but I think that again this may be due to lack of FAE...
Light and Love
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Peat, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms