Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineexodus454
Stranger
About to get first grow started, just wanna make sure I got it right
    #4673708 - 09/17/05 12:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Got my verm, brown rice flour, ball 1/2pt canning jars and just recieved my spores today. Planning on doing a 10 jar PF tek grow to start out.

I have a few questions though.

Can I mix up the substrates (individually) in each jar today, then sterilize and inoculate tomorrow without any ill effects?

And I've read that mycelium colonize best at around 85*. being a cannabis grower as well, I have a clone box that is kept at a constant 85-88*. Would it be a good idea to put the jars in there once theyre inoculated?

Last and final question - when sterilizing using the boiling technique, does the amount of water really matter? I was thinking of covering the bottom of a 5gal pot with water (~2" or so), then putting a rack in the bottom to keep the jars about 3-4" off the bottom. would this work with no problems?

Thanks for your time, and if you have any other good tips or pointers, please feel free to share!

Edited by exodus454 (09/17/05 12:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTrav
Stranger

Re: About to get first grow started, just wanna make sure I got it right [Re: exodus454]
    #4673717 - 09/17/05 12:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like everything is fine. You can mix up the jars one day and sterilize them the next with no problems I would imagine. I would keep the 10 jars in a box, and then put them in the clone chamber to stay warm, that should be fine. And boiling them like you said should be fine as well. Someone may correct me but it sounds like you have everything ready to go. Good luck on your first grow!

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: About to get first grow started, just wanna make sure I got it right [Re: Trav]
    #4673853 - 09/17/05 01:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

1. Yes you can do this with the substate.

2. Yes that is a good temp for the myc to produce. Dont let it vary constantly on the tempature - can cause bacteria to grow.

3. I usaully put my 1/2 pint jars in a big pot and put a towel underneath them, fill it up with water half way up the jars and boil. Always works wonders.

Good luck and you sound like your off to a good start.

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

Offlinefatalerror
ass asscott
Female User Gallery

Re: About to get first grow started, just wanna make sure I got it right [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #4673961 - 09/17/05 02:13 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Correct me if im wrong, but I think that would be WAY to hot for mycellium... Dont forget it produces heat itself... that will drive the heat up another couple degrees... so your babies are gonna be sittin 87-90F, which, from what people have been tellin me, usually effects the mycellium more negatively than a few degrees under... I've been told to keep the temps from 81-84, and the mycellium will bring itself up to the desired temp... Not too sure so, but I'll try to find another thread about this...
Dan

--------------------
eat poop

InvisibleFooManM
Doesn't live here
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: About to get first grow started, just wanna make sure I got it right [Re: exodus454]
    #4673977 - 09/17/05 02:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sure, you can mix it up early. Room temp is fine for the jars. The clone box might be too hot at 88. Your method to sterilize is great, the rack will keep the jars off the bottom to prevent cracking. Just make sure that all the water doesn't evaporate while boiling, it shouldn't.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooManM
Doesn't live here
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: About to get first grow started, just wanna make sure I got it right [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #4673981 - 09/17/05 02:23 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomArtist84 said:
3.  I usaully put my 1/2 pint jars in a big pot and put a towel underneath them, fill it up with water half way up the jars and boil.  Always works wonders.

Always? I believe I saw a post of yours that said something different. :smirk:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineBataviaVakereli
Stranger
Re: About to get first grow started, just wanna make sure I got it right [Re: FooMan]
    #4673992 - 09/17/05 02:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Just to reiterate, I agree with the heat issue. I don't think it's a good idea to keep them in that temps for the same reasons already stated. Mycelium generates heat on its own. I think to keep my jars at around 80 degrees. If you don't have anything else and don't want to make a TiT, just leave them at room temperature unless it's really cold.

Offlineexodus454
Stranger
Re: About to get first grow started, just wanna make sure I got it right [Re: BataviaVakereli]
    #4674031 - 09/17/05 02:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

alrighty, i got the substrate mixed up and into the jars. right now i dont have any holes in the tops to i dont lose any moisture content overnight. hopefully the house wont be full of people tomorrow to avoid the "what the hell are you doing with that gigantic pot?!" question.

I'll see what I can do about getting that box temp down as well, it seemed as if 88* was pushing it anyways.

thanks for the help everyone!

Offlineexodus454
Stranger
    #4674218 - 09/17/05 03:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

One last question.. maybe I should start a new thread about it, but I'll try here first.

What else could I use to heat my makeshift incubator? I was using a heating pad on low before, which gave temps of ~88*F. The box it heated was about 1'x1.5'x5".. If i used the heating pad and put it in a bigger box, could that lower temps a bit (i know temps will be more stable regardless)?

Does anyone have any other heating suggestions? I'm trying to work with what I;ve got around the house so I dont have to spend more cash, so I'd like to try not to use a fishtank heater.

Again, Thanks!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation