Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSoap_Salesman
Mushroom noob

Loc: quebec, canada
help id i think i have something (pics)
    #4672122 - 09/17/05 01:27 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I found these mushrooms in a short grass field at night while it was raining lightly. 3-small mushrooms, 2-conical mushroom, 1-kinda obvious :P
sorry bout the first photo, kinda too dark to see anything. Second photo the mushrooms are disorganized and the big one broke while i was handling it, but the order is still the same
http://img379.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unidentifiedshrooms7ep.jpg
http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unidentifiedshrooms25hn.jpg
Cap
small mushrooms: light buff color drying brownish grey. convex to parabolic. smooth when dry, slippery wet but not viscid. 1 cm across. lighter color at the margin than in the center of the cap. striate
Big Mushroom: Convex. Ranging from dark buff to brown color with margin stained black from spores. fibrillose
Conical mushroom: obtusely conic. dark brown. striate

Gills
small mushrooms: Dark Brown. mottled. adnexed
Big mushroom: Black, adnate (maybe slightly adnexed), mottled
conical mushroom: Black, adnexed, mottled

Stem
small mushrooms: 4cm, light color (looks off-white-light brown)
Big mushroom: 4 cm, fibrous, dark brown-buff, stained a light blue shade thats hard to notice
conical Mushroom: 4 cm, fibrous, dark buff-brown

Spore prints
small mushrooms: very obvious dark brown-purple
Big mushroom: Blackish purple
conical mushroom: hard to tell (didnt get a good print) but it has a purple shade

please help me :smile:

--------------------

Edited by Soap_Salesman (09/17/05 01:40 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMr_Psilocin
finding moreactives thanever
 User Gallery

Re: help id i think i have something (pics) [Re: Soap_Salesman]
    #4672845 - 09/17/05 04:16 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well the one where the number 3 is on kinda looks like a sub but plz wait till the expert's tell you what it is because I'm not!!(This season will be my first hunt)

--------------------
"I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale, and never tried it again." Bill Clinton

"A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly fifteen hundred pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response... In strict medical terms, marijuana is far safer than many of the foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death."

DEA Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young
Opinion and Recommended Ruling, Findings of Fact,

http://www.hempfiles.com/php/quotes.php

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4673254 - 09/17/05 09:52 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The first one looks like stropharia (not active)
The second could be the same (can't tell, but it's not active)
Third resembles Pan. sub, but it's hard to tell from the pics. Purple in the spore print suggests Stropharia genus.

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineSoap_Salesman
Mushroom noob

Re: help id i think i have something (pics) [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4673330 - 09/17/05 10:35 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i just tried something and i found out that the big mushroom has a pellicle covering the cap that can be carefully peeled off and makes the cap slippery when wet. the conical mushroom is imo the same species as the bg mushroom because everything about it is the same as the big mushroom, it even has a seperable pellicle like it.

Im pretty sure that assuming the conical and big mushroom are the same species that they are active because i did some research and found out that the only inactive/unedible stropharia mushrooms grow on the opposite coast of where i am (quebec) and they are blue green in color, while the ones i found were brown

more opinions and help would be appreciated

--------------------

Edited by Soap_Salesman (09/17/05 10:36 AM)

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4673392 - 09/17/05 10:58 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That doesn't sound right. There are lots of stropharia in your area Stropharia hardii for example (tho I don't think that's what you have there), just putting them in a genus.
The mushrooms you have there are not active, and posibly poisonous.
Again, the last one resembles Pan. sub. but they are tough to positively id and you need a bunch.
If you really want an id on those first, I'll help you key them out. But if you're just looking for actives, those are not them.
Start by looking at what actives do grow in your area. I think it will be P.simelanceta and Pan. subb.
I haven't researched mushrooms in your area, so I don't know all the facts offhand, but I'm willing to help.

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineSoap_Salesman
Mushroom noob

#4673711 - 09/17/05 12:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I would like an id on the mushrooms i found so that i can put it in my database of mushrooms i picked that are inactive, active and poisonous.

I live in Quebec City. The mushrooms that grow in this province are:
Psilocybe caerulipes
Psilocybe quebecensis
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Psilocybe semilanceata
Panaeolus foenisecii

I live in the suburbs but close to where i live there is a water purification plant for my district. Infront of this plant is a huge field with a few trees. The government mows the field once every week and i think it might be fertilized to (maybe not)

Around the hydroplant is a wooded area with conifers and pine trees and hardwoods. Infront of one section of the woods is a patch of long grass that grows a little bit higher than knee height. And in these woods is a small river.

There are no farms closeby in my area so the hydro plant is where i've gone hunting the 3 times that i went. Could you help me figure out where to search for actives?

--------------------

Edited by Soap_Salesman (09/17/05 12:51 PM)

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #4673947 - 09/17/05 02:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

the pictures are not good enough to narrow it down to species.

I also find it hard to believe that the spore prints are all purple :smirk:, did you let them print overnight?

anyway, as LouiseLouise said, none are active.

if you want to learn where to find actives, type each of those species names you just listed into google or some search engine and find a description for them.  Look at the habitat listed on the description and go to similar habitats around where you live.  there's not much we can do to help you beyond telling you that.

DH

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4674552 - 09/17/05 05:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

ok, on mushroom #1, is there a possibility it could match up to P. caerulipes? I don't think so, but, it's good to check ; ) There are some good threads here about them (I think Lysergicmilkman did one) I've ruled out most genus with purple/brown/black prints and still like stropharia for this one. What was it growing on? look at mushrooms of different age. Do you still think #1 and 2 are the same? I'm starting to think otherwise.
What color are the gills on #2?
I found it interesting that all the prints contained purple shade also.
In order to id these to species, it takes maticulous attention to detail you wouldn't otherwise make note of. This is why it is easier to say "not active" or "not of choice edibility"
I also keep a journal, and as much as I try, sometimes I just have to give up on trying to get it to species. A simple print color will put you in the genus.
I'll be looking around a bit, if you come back with more information, I'll know you are serious about keying it out. It is good practice, I like to do it    sometimes, too, when I feel like I have the patience.

:peace:

--------------------

OfflineSoap_Salesman
Mushroom noob

#4674654 - 09/17/05 06:33 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

the big mushroom and the conical mushroom were both found in short, freshly mown grass

The gills on the conical mushroom were slightly browner and less black than the big mushroom, but still pretty dark

im starting to think they are 2 different mushrooms because the big mushroom had some parts of the cap that were yellow while the conical was just brown. Also, the conical was striate but the big one wasn't

--------------------

Edited by Soap_Salesman (09/17/05 06:35 PM)

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4677040 - 09/18/05 10:34 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

For the first two Agaricus campestris match up best (with the information I've been given, the gills would be free, I think they are)
The third is a Pannaeolus (sp). I would go and collect more of the third one and try to id it.
Do a search in the hunting forum, you'll find what details are essential for id of subbs. The out of round shaped cap is what makes me think subb.

:peace:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification